Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Kriminal wrote: He is asking if its a known issue in FL. Maybe you missed the part where he didnt mention any of the hosts in your post.
Why do you even care? It's his decision to decide what is useful information for him and what not. The point that the problem does not appear in some other hosts IS a useful information IMO.

FWIW i do not remember anyone mentioning the same problem in FLstudio here yet (except if i missed it).

UPDATE:
Just used the search function and did not find the same issue with that but i noticed that KVR member gamecat666 seemed to use OBXD in FLStudio too.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
Breeze wrote: I won't say no, but it's a slippery slope! While I program the Obxd, I find myself missing loads of stuff. I'd take 50% key tracking any day, or a rotary control like was mentioned before.
I woulkd say the best to keep patches compatible would be the way to implement the keytracking like already mentioned before: LED art the switch off for 0%, orange for 50% and red for 100% (or creating two switches for 50% and 100%).

Ingo
I think it would be enough to be able to switch between 20% ("off") and 70% (on). I have not had any patch so far where 100% sounded good, it was always way too much. 0% on the other hand always seems too little.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How about asking the question on FL in the Image Line subforum? I suppose people there are more likely to be able to help. Maybe someone will give OBXD a quick try to answer your question :)
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=86

I just downloaded the Windows 64 bit version and unzipped it with 7-zip. I loaded it under Sonar 8.5, and it works fine. No issues whatsoever.

In FLStudio9, I lost the whole bank when I went past the last preset using the 'Next preset' button. But it was still showing a couple of presets that I had saved in FL format. Once I deleted those and reloaded Obxd and the bank, it all worked fine. Slightly different problem to GJK and he's probably using FL11, but I don't have time to check on FL10 or FL11 tonight.

Just want to thanks to 2DaT and everyone who has had some input into this.

Ingonator wrote: Hi,

many thanks for your patches. I just updates the patches collection with all patches posted here so far and added your bank and the latest patch of Fluffy. Please tell if you don't want your patches to be included with this collection.
Now that i know how to do it the update took less than 15 minutes. Most of the following text is copied from the first version:

I have also created single patch files for all patches in bank files (created automatically with the Preset Manager in Tobybear MiniHost) and sorted all patches in banks in corresponding folders with the name of the sound designers.
Except the OB-Xa and Kujashi banks which are already full 128 patches i had sorted all patches into two new bank files (current total patch number : 390)

download link for the ZIP file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0v1.02.zip

This includes patches of Fernando, Breeze, albertodreams, Kujashi, Ingo Weidner (myself), Fluffy Little Something and EmGee (each with their own folder with bank and single patch files).
There is also a folder called "All single patches" which includes all patch files (390 at the moment).

The "root" folder contains 6 files:
- OBXD Init bank.fxb : Init bank
- OBXD Init patch.fxp : Init/default patch
- OB-Xa Patch Book.fxb : Fernando's bank with OB-Xa patches
- Kujashi-OBXD-Bank_Full : Jijashi's full 128 patches bank
- OBXD - KVR Community Bank - Part 1.fxb : First part of other patches sorted into a bank
- OBXD - KVR Community Bank - Part 2.fxb : Second part of other patches sorted into a bank

In the community Bank files the patches of each sound designer start with a default patch renamed with the name of teh sound designer (starting with "***").

Due to future updates the name of the ZIP file includes a version number (now v1.02).

Most patches have been done with an older version of OBXD than the new one. 2DaT has added the older version to the OP.

Hint:
For Strings sounds i recommend using a Chorus FX like e.g. the free TAL Chorus-LX. I have also checked Polsyix Ensemble (from Korg MDE-X plugin), ERS Dimsension D Chorus and the Schwa Oligarc Chorus which all deliver nice results too (while i like the Polysix one a lot).
UPDATE:

I am finished sorting patches by category so here is the next update (v1.03):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0v1.03.zip

This includes a new folder called "Sorted By Category" which includes folder named by the categories (those include the single patch files) and 4 new bank files with the patches sorted by categories.

The categories and the number of patches (sorted by amount) are:
Pads : 66, Leads : 57, Synths : 47, Keys : 46, Brass : 45, Bass : 37, Strings : 29, Drums + Percussion : 22, Plucked : 15, SFXs : 12, Bells : 10, Vocalic : 7

Overall number of patches : 391

Several patches that seem to be a mix of pad, polysynth and lead are located in the "Synths" category. Of cousre sorting into a category is not always a simple task so usually this represents the expected main use of the patches (while with others the categories are more obvious).

For those patches who are intended to be Basses or Leads it would be better to reduce the voices to 1. Most patches seem to use the full 8 voices (while mine are mostly limited to 6 voices to save some CPU).

Have fun,
Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think it would be enough to be able to switch between 20% ("off") and 70% (on). I have not had any patch so far where 100% sounded good, it was always way too much. 0% on the other hand always seems too little.
Right. So maybe we should consider black, ochre, orange, tangerine and red for the different levels then... ;)

Considering what's already been added, seems to me the Obxd is already way beyond its original mandate of creating an OB-X (minus the proper OSC2 detune... what? WHAT? :hihi: ). But again, I agree that more key tracking levels would be useful.

I'm actually more concerned we don't hear from 2Dat more often. :shrug:

Breeze wrote:I'm actually more concerned we don't hear from 2Dat more often. :shrug:
I think (and I could be wrong cause I'm not going through this whole thread to find it) 2Dat mentioned he was going to be really busy in January. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, his initial estimate for the GUI version being ready may have been sometime in February, so if anything, he could be way ahead of schedule. And when do you ever hear that in the software development world?

I'm guessing he just got tied down with stuff outside of this project, and maybe he's making tweaks where he can, or maybe he's just waiting to get a ton of presets from users for a final release. Heck, maybe he's working on a website to host OBXD. Who knows...I wouldn't worry.

I'm just super psyched at how far this has come in a relatively short period of time, and how good it looks and sounds.

Breeze wrote:...I agree that more key tracking levels would be useful.

I'm actually more concerned we don't hear from 2Dat more often. :shrug:
+1 on the adjustable, if not variable key tracking, including a "0" option (I've even found a desire for a negative value on other synths!).

Yep, would be good to know a what point there is an actual lock on the features. THEN patch creators can create at will! Thanks all!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:...or maybe he's just waiting to get a ton of presets from users for a final release. Heck, maybe he's working on a website to host OBXD. Who knows...I wouldn't worry.
Not biting my nails over it... :hihi:
SciFiArtMan wrote:Yep, would be good to know a what point there is an actual lock on the features. THEN patch creators can create at will!
Chicken? Egg?
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'm just super psyched at how far this has come in a relatively short period of time, and how good it looks and sounds.
:tu:

Ingonator wrote:
Kriminal wrote: He is asking if its a known issue in FL. Maybe you missed the part where he didnt mention any of the hosts in your post.
Why do you even care? It's his decision to decide what is useful information for him and what not. The point that the problem does not appear in some other hosts IS a useful information IMO.
its nots useful to him, as he is using FL. If you dont have FL, you cant help. Stop being a control freak.

nineofkings wrote:Another bug, similar to the Ariesverb one: some synthedit plugs (I was using one with a white GUI called Formant Filter) give massive audio spikes from OBXD, followed by silence. Even if I delete the offending plugin from the project, OBXD refuses to make sound again until I close and reopen my DAW
Make sure you use latest obxd (first post) and latest reaper. I checked obxd +this plug in reaper. No bugs here.
@freemobil
No, only learn/unlearn.

@2DaT: do you think it's possible to add Channel Pressure (Aftertouch, 0xDn) to the list of Controllers that can be used for automation? Thanks.

Melodious Rex wrote:I just downloaded the Windows 64 bit version and unzipped it with 7-zip. I loaded it under Sonar 8.5, and it works fine. No issues whatsoever.
I just downloaded the big patch files, the ones Ingonator posted. All load and work fine.

I'm running an i3 3220 with 16gb ram. While running Obxd under Sonar 8.5, I use about 20% CPU.

This Obxd is excellent sounding. Great replication of the original OBX's attack too - something romplers never get right.

After craeting my own patches and doing all that sorting i finally started to play with all patches, starting with the pads.

Alraedy while sorting i noticed that many patches are too loud. I amtrying to adjust that while playing with the patches now and maybe post another update when finished with that (starting with the category sorted bank files which i a musing now...).

I also noticed that only few patches seem to use the "HQ" switch in the filter section. In understodd this as a high-quality mode and used it for all of my patches. Please correct me if i misunderstood this.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”