Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Kriminal wrote:something that makes no sense at all...

in the OSC section, the knobs OSC1/OSC2 are for tuning, but the label doesnt reflect this. Really it should. They should also be set to 12 o'clock so you can detune +/-

aslo, wooden cheeks would look much better than the horrible metallic ears it currently has
The knobs are for selecting the tune AND the range. They are in the lowest position because it's where traditionally the sounds were programmed in the OB-X (at least I concluded that by trying to create sounds of the OB-8 and OB-Xa in the OB-Xd). At 12:00 they are not in C anymore (C2 is around 10:00 and C3 is around 14:00).
Fernando (FMR)

Oops... yeah the original does say "Frequency"...
Last edited by Breeze on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now that it has a real GUI, experienced musicians will sooner or later try it and decide whether or not it is a good emulation. Probably the same people who also came to the conclusion that the OP-X is an excellent emulation.

I used to have a synth programming instruction manual in the early 80's, for which they used that synth, it was even shown on the cover. The sound examples did sound similar to this emulation. (Yes, I do remember them after all that time because I listened to them lots of times and was pissed my JX-8P didn't sound anything like it :P ).

Anyway, I hope it is finished soon so that I can start to program patches for it. Don't feel like doing it now and having to adapt them later on...

fluffy_little_something wrote:I also don't find the osc section logical, which is why I did a different one yesterday (on the right), grouping controls in lines and columns. There is even space for one more control (such as Detune for osc 1) :hihi:
https://app.box.com/s/84msten869t4ey1uz5mq
Actually, that's even better than what I did! Mine was closer to the original OB layout. This is clear and functional and it makes so much more sense to align all the OSC 2 knobs, which I had done too but not as completely as you. When you're working with the P ENV you typically access the Detune/Pitch controls often. I'd move SYNC and XMOD up one line, and reorganize the last two rows for symmetry.

Although I'd use the empty space for the "XMOD OSC2 -> 1" switch... ;)
Here's a comparison of all three:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104 ... tion_2.jpg
Last edited by Breeze on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fmr wrote:
Kriminal wrote:something that makes no sense at all...

in the OSC section, the knobs OSC1/OSC2 are for tuning, but the label doesnt reflect this. Really it should. They should also be set to 12 o'clock so you can detune +/-

aslo, wooden cheeks would look much better than the horrible metallic ears it currently has
The knobs are for selecting the tune AND the range. They are in the lowest position because it's where traditionally the sounds were programmed in the OB-X (at least I concluded that by trying to create sounds of the OB-8 and OB-Xa in the OB-Xd). At 12:00 they are not in C anymore (C2 is around 10:00 and C3 is around 14:00).
Shame the labels dont indicate any of that...

fluffy_little_something wrote:The amp envelope velocity knob leads to increased clicking with higher values. Maybe that is normal, no idea. Is that knob supposed to increase or decrease volume only depending on velocity, or is it supposed to change attack time as well? Like, shorter with higher velocity?
It sounds like it just multiplies the envelope control signal by the velocity value, so no it doesn't affect any time values. But I'm pretty sure that's all 2DaT intended to do. It's still better than no velocity at all!

However I have noticed some occasional clicking but I suspect that may have to do with the voice stealing. We should keep an ear out for sure and see if we find a repro.

Hm, I did the last two lines in that way because I wanted the Detune knob(s) to be under the Pitch knobs as they belong together.
The last line is the modulation line. I put the Sync button on the left side because Osc 1 is the master (I reckon). And the P Env on the right side as it applies to Osc 2 only if I am not mistaken.
Brite is in the middle as it applies to both Osc's.

Yes, I did not care about symmetry, sometimes a lack of symmetry helps memorizing positions of stuff that is not symmetrical anyway.

Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The amp envelope velocity knob leads to increased clicking with higher values. Maybe that is normal, no idea. Is that knob supposed to increase or decrease volume only depending on velocity, or is it supposed to change attack time as well? Like, shorter with higher velocity?
It sounds like it just multiplies the envelope control signal by the velocity value, so no it doesn't affect any time values. But I'm pretty sure that's all 2DaT intended to do. It's still better than no velocity at all!

However I have noticed some occasional clicking but I suspect that may have to do with the voice stealing. We should keep an ear out for sure and see if we find a repro.
I have noticed clicking with a muted monophonic bass sound. When I increase the amp env velocity value, the clicking increases. So I am not sure it has to do with voice stealing. But what do I know, am no programmer :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, I did not care about symmetry, sometimes a lack of symmetry helps memorizing positions of stuff that is not symmetrical anyway.
I agree, but I access SYNC and XMOD far more often than BRIGHT: you could also say there can be something dysfunctional about purely logical vs practical organization. The best is likely always a product of both. ;)

Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, I did not care about symmetry, sometimes a lack of symmetry helps memorizing positions of stuff that is not symmetrical anyway.
I agree, but I access SYNC and XMOD far more often than BRIGHT: you could also say there can be something dysfunctional about purely logical vs practical organization. The best is likely always a product of both. ;)
Oh yes, I don't touch Brite, either. If a sound is too bright, I reduce the cutoff frequency 8) But on such a tiny, dense GUI where two controls are just half an inch apart and on which I look from the bird's eye perspective, I didn't care about how often a control is used.

On a real synth that is a yard wide I would also take accessibility into account, of course :) I wonder when there will be haptic monitors so that one can actually touch controls :D

Hi,

just installed the OP-X Pro II demo besides OBXD.

While i would not really say that both do sound really identical i found that i get a raw sound like in a real analog synth from OBXd easily while with OP-X Pro II this seems to be quite difficult and only after some tweaking (and even then OP-X Pro II seems to sound "weaker" in comparison).

While still not sure how close OBXD is to the real OB-X in my first comparison i found that it for sure seems to have a comparable sound character to OP-X Pro II and that OBXD easily recreates that raw analog sound for which the Oberheim synths are famous (including a nice low-end).

The parameter ranges of OBXD and OP-X Pro II seem to be different. A patch reprogrammed 1:1 will sound differently.

With all due respect to Peter from Sonicprojects i currently would prefer the sound of OBXD (regardless how close it is to the real thing).
As alraeady mentioned i have owned OP-X Pro in the past but sold 2 years ago.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Here is a very small bank for OBXd (latest version with the new GUI) that includes 3 patches (2 Synth Brass + 1 PWM Strings):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... nk%201.fxb

This bank will hopefully grow in the near future.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Hi,

just installed the OP-X Pro II demo besides OBXD.

While i would not really say that both do sound really identical i found that i get a raw sound like in a real analog synth from OBXd easily while with OP-X Pro II this seems to be quite difficult and only after some tweaking (and even then OP-X Pro II seems to sound "weaker" in comparison).
While still not sure how close OBXD is to the real OB-X in my first comparison i found that it for sure seems to have a comparable sound character to OP-X Pro II and that OBXD easily recreates that raw analog sound for which the Oberheim synths are famous (including a nice low-end).
The parameter ranges of OBXD and OP-X Pro II seem to be different for sure. A patch reprogrammed 1:1 will sound differently.

With all due respect to Peter from Sonicprojects i currently would prefer the sound of OBXD (regardless how close it is to the real thing).
As alraeady mentioned i have owned OP-X Pro in the past but sold 2 years ago.

Ingo
Yes, It is a joy to simply listen to the sizzling, the powerful yet fine sound that comes out of this plugin :) Not to mention the enormous bottom...
It already seems the best-sounding free plugin, and frankly, while missing many modern features such as mod matrix etc., the sound quality as such is better than with many synths in the 50 to 100 dollar range.
I am really happy with this as its features are enough for me (if some of the suggestions were implemented, even better), while it creates the good old sound I love so much.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I have noticed clicking with a muted monophonic bass sound. When I increase the amp env velocity value, the clicking increases. So I am not sure it has to do with voice stealing. But what do I know, am no programmer :)
Possibly a bug with legato/velocity. I think velocity shouldt change when you play legato.

Regarding spread knob - its something special. It detunes every oscillator , providing that extra movement in the voices, mostly notable when you play octaves.

Ingonator wrote:Here is a very small bank for OBXd (latest version with the new GUI) that includes 3 patches (2 Synth Brass + 1 PWM Strings):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... nk%201.fxb

This bank will hopefully grow in the near future.

Ingo
How do you pack your individual fxpatches into an fxbank? Is there a tool for doing that? :help:

Return to “Instruments”