Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

2DaT wrote: I actually plan to improve idle cpu consumance anyway
Sounds good! :tu:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Unless you want to play a synth piano, try reducing the number of voices on the drop-down menu to, say, three, that should cut the CPU load considerably.
Great tip, thanks! :tu:

2DaT wrote: Ah , somebody noticed it. It was a random mistake in a code that caused additional unwanted detune to osc2.
Nothing else changed.
Is the mistake in the old version or new version?

Frantz wrote:
2DaT wrote: Ah , somebody noticed it. It was a random mistake in a code that caused additional unwanted detune to osc2.
Nothing else changed.
Is the mistake in the old version or new version?
Old.

2DaT wrote:
Breeze wrote: 2DaT: you have to be very careful now with the updates!! I renamed the previous release "Obxd1.dll" and added the new dll so I could compare and right off the bat it seems the "Spread" parameter in the newer version isn't doing the same thing as with the older build; this is particularly obvious if you put both at 12 o'clock where the older seems to have a wider range of random detuning than the newer.

At this point I would recommend very careful changes in the sound quality of the synth. Experience is making me keep ALL the Obxd dll's from now on... ;)
Ah , somebody noticed it. It was a random mistake in a code that caused additional unwanted detune to osc2.
Nothing else changed.
I thought this was intentional. Is there still detune of osc2 relative to osc1 in the new version?

nineofkings wrote: I thought this was intentional. Is there still detune of osc2 relative to osc1 in the new version?
Now when you leave only osc2 alone it doesnt pitch up with spread knob (in unison).

Hi,

as already promised i collected all patches published here so far and included my own ones too.
I have also created single patch files for all patches in bank files (created automatically with the Preset Manager in Tobybear MiniHost) and sorted all patches in banks in corresponding folders with the name of the sound designers.
Except the OB-Xa bank which is already full 128 patches i had sorted all patches into two new bank files (current total patch number : 289)

download link for the ZIP file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 20v1.0.zip

This includes patches of Fernando, Breeze, albertodreams, Kujashi, Ingo Weidner (myself), Fluffy Little Something and EmGee (each with their own folder with bank and single patch files).
There is also a folder called "All single patches" which includes all patch files (289 at the moment).

The "root" folder contains 5 files:
- OBXD Init bank.fxb : Init bank
- OBXD Init patch.fxp : Init/default patch
- OB-Xa Patch Book.fxb : Fernando's bank with OB-Xa patches
- OBXD - KVR Community Bank - Part 1.fxb : First part of other patches sorted into a bank
- OBXD - KVR Community Bank - Part 1.fxb : Second part of other patches sorted into a bank

In the community Bank files the patches of each sound designer start with a default patch renamed with the name of teh sound designer (starting with "***").

Due to future updates the name of the ZIP file includes a version number (now v1.0).

Most patches have been done with an older version of OBXD than the new one. For those who don't have the old version anymore here is a download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53230726/Obxd.zip

Hint:
For Strings sounds i recommend using a Chorus FX like e.g. the free TAL Chorus-LX. I have also checked Polsyix Ensemble (from Korg MDE-X plugin), ERS Dimsension D Chorus and the Schwa Oligarc Chorus which all deliver nice results too (while i like the Polysix one a lot).

Have fun,
Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

2DaT wrote:
nineofkings wrote: I thought this was intentional. Is there still detune of osc2 relative to osc1 in the new version?
Now when you leave only osc2 alone it doesnt pitch up with spread knob (in unison).
I just took a close look at this and the previous version did in fact tune up OSC2 at maximum spread close to 140 cents. On the new version both OSC's seem to stay within the -40 to +40 cent range. But after playing a few patches, I'm not sure if the original setup wasn't a "happy" accident. :D

One thing the old code did was almost guarantee that the OSC pitches wouldn't be too close even at lower settings of the Spread control. Now some of the patches with the old settings don't sound as rich (or as good) because the OSCs are often too close to one another, meaning that the amount of Detune (and sometimes even Pitch) on OSC2 needs to be increased. I'll have to revise my patch set; but I'll keep the old dll around in case I can't get "there" with the new one... ;)

BTW: is -40 to +40 the Spread range on the OBX? And does this and the non-filter-tracked transpose make a better case for the negative Detune range for OSC2? Probably not... :shrug:

I see you already posted, Ingo! Many of my sounds will need revising and I was also thinking of filling out my sound bank but I think I'll wait till 2DaT calls the Obxd done.

Breeze wrote:
I see you already posted, Ingo! Many of my sounds will need revising and I was also thinking of filling out my sound bank but I think I'll wait till 2DaT calls the Obxd done.
Hi,

no problem to update when changes are done. Creating single patches from a bank actualy just takes seconds as it is done automatically.
Sorting the patches into banks is also no big thing if you know how to do it.

Feel free to post an update anytime you like. I also added a version number to the ZIP file to not get confused by future updates.

I also added a link for theprecious version of OBXD for those who deleted that already.

I would have to check my own patches using both versions of OBXD but i have only done a few Unison patches so far.

PS:
I aalso sent a copy of my post to 2DAT by PM in case he missed my post.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Breeze wrote: - I still miss @#$&@% OSC2 Detune Down... please consider as I suggested: another parameter for the detune down, pairing it with the current one on one control with the dead zone at 12'oclock. This is just such a useful missing feature.
Not sure what you mean. You mean above 12 o'clock Osc1 up and below 12 Osc2 down?
That results in the same thing in my view. Whether the asymmetrical detune is above or below the perfect semitone pitch doesn't really matter in my view.
Seems I didn't reply to this, and just for clarity, I'll explain it one last time:

Currently the Osc 2 detune is only positive (up). On the original OBX, the detune for Osc2 is both positive and negative. There several reasons why this his handy. 2Dat can't change that parameter now because it would affect every patch made so far. Osc 2 detune currently is implemented as a parameter that goes from 0-100, from complete left to complete right of the rotary control.

But if a new parameter was introduced that detuned OSC2 Down instead of Up, it could be implemented on the GUI so that it would be functional and mutually exclusive to the existing detune up parameter by having it perform negative detuning from 12 o'clock to the left, while the current detune up parameter would detune up as it always has but by now going from 12 o'clock to the right. So no loss of resolution, and compatability with existing patches is maintained. Here's a quick picture to save a few words words:

However, as these things go in the world of software, sometimes simple ideas can have complex implementation issues behind the scenes. Again, this was posted as an explanation, not as a demand. As the dev, 2DaT is the final arbiter for this stuff.

Breeze wrote:2Dat can't change that parameter now because it would affect every patch made so far.
No one promised that the synth was done. I think people got carried away with creating patches before the synth was finalized.
Breeze wrote: But if a new parameter was introduced that detuned OSC2 Down instead of Up, it could be implemented on the GUI so that it would be functional and mutually exclusive to the existing detune up parameter by having it perform negative detuning from 12 o'clock to the left, while the current detune up parameter would detune up as it always has but by now going from 12 o'clock to the right.
I find this idea a little confusing. Also I don't think two Detune parameters could be mapped to a single knob on a control surface.
Last edited by Frantz on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breeze wrote:2Dat can't change that parameter now because it would affect every patch made so far.
Not true. It is possible to extend an parameter range while keeping the current value corresponding to the correct state in that new extended range.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:
Not true. It is possible to extend an parameter range while keeping the current value corresponding to the correct state in that new extended range.
My guess was the same. If current values are e.g. from + 1-100 they should stay the same if - 1-100 is added too. In that example it would be a problem if the overall trange is change like e.g. +/- 50 instaed of +/- 100.

After all there seem to be worse parameters if you would have to corrct the patches, lie e.g the envelope parameters. That could lead to some bigger trouble.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:
My guess was the same. If current values are e.g. from + 1-100 they should stay the same if - 1-100 is added too. In that example it would be a problem if the overall trange is change like e.g. +/- 50 instaed of +/- 100.

After all there seem to be worse parameters if you would have to corrct the patches, lie e.g the envelope parameters. That could lead to some bigger trouble.

Ingo
yup. patch calls for +25 detune... old synth with detune range 0-100 detuned up from 0 to 25. new synth with -100 to 100 would still detune up 25 units from 0. the difference only being that 0 is 12 o'clk instead of 7.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:yup. patch calls for +25 detune... old synth with detune range 0-100 detuned up from 0 to 25. new synth with -100 to 100 would still detune up 25 units from 0. the difference only being that 0 is 12 o'clk instead of 7.
That was my idea as well; only the visual position of the knob needs to be re-calculated.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:
layzer wrote:yup. patch calls for +25 detune... old synth with detune range 0-100 detuned up from 0 to 25. new synth with -100 to 100 would still detune up 25 units from 0. the difference only being that 0 is 12 o'clk instead of 7.
That was my idea as well; only the visual position of the knob needs to be re-calculated.
Looks like you guys are right! I was under the impression that VST parameters could only be expressed as numbers in a positive range. There are in fact parameters in some synths that go from -100 to +100' so my suggestion is pointless. :oops: Learn something new every day...

Return to “Instruments”