Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Yes, it has a lot to do with the DAW you are using. Probably also with various Windows and even BIOS settings...

Frankly it terrifies me.
Knowing my luck, one day I'll upgrade and everything will be biting out 50% cpu for seemingly no reason. :hihi: :roll:
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

MachFront wrote:Frankly it terrifies me.
Knowing my luck, one day I'll upgrade and everything will be biting out 50% cpu for seemingly no reason. :hihi: :roll:
That's why there are still people who write with an antique typewriter...

:hihi: :clown:
(don't worry, I always laugh, it's my nature...)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

MachFront wrote:I must confess to being slightly weirded out by the variance in cpu use. I'm not experiencing that much.
---
How are folks with more modern and more powerful machines getting these issues (and others I've run across on this board which always make me shrug or scratch my head)?
:?
That's what I was also wondering. In i5 quad-core Win7 laptop I get 4-7% CPU use with Obxd idle, GUI open. In my i7 4770k Win8.1 desktop I get 0,73% on idle and 0,73-0,74% when sustaining 8 notes. Reaper portable.

subterfuge wrote:
MachFront wrote:I must confess to being slightly weirded out by the variance in cpu use. I'm not experiencing that much.
---
How are folks with more modern and more powerful machines getting these issues (and others I've run across on this board which always make me shrug or scratch my head)?
:?
That's what I was also wondering. In i5 quad-core Win7 laptop I get 4-7% CPU use with Obxd idle, GUI open. In my i7 4770k Win8.1 desktop I get 0,73% on idle and 0,73-0,74% when sustaining 8 notes. Reaper portable.
Part of this variance may be due to the latency of your sound card. The smaller the buffer, the higher the CPU. You can't compare unless you use the same buffer sizes, and ideally the same sound hardware. And BTW, of the bunch of hosts I use, Reaper is the most efficient with hardware.

Yes, there are certainly differences between any two machines. But just comparing within my own system I gotta wonder these higher than normal (?) CPU loads some are getting. I mean, where Obxd takes 0,74% playing a certain sequence, eg. Z3ta+2 uses 0,77% and Tyrell N6 2,53% to play the same thing. I know latter is kinda resource hog, so all that seems normal to me. But idle usage is comparably high on Obxd, like mentioned earlier. Here it's actually just about the same as when playing.

At any rate, Thanks to 2DaT for a really nice synth, Layzer for the GUI and all the preset workers. Nice group work you all got going on here.
PS. Albertodream, loved the Mike references.

At the OBXd website i noticed that most comments are about the Mac version. This is funny as the development and also most patches were done with the Windows version.

Compared to that the Mac version was done by someone else (Oli Larkin) based on the source code and i very new so at the moment could not really be as stable as the Windows version.

Maybe it shoould be noted at the download that the Mac version is an early one (while for an early one it seems to work quite nice based on the comments of some users).

As already mentioned i could not guarantee that all patches in the collection will work properly on Mac and i got no option to check those on a Mac.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Almost every day, I use Windows (by necessity) and Mac OSX (by choice), and I’ve tested the two versions of OB-Xd (I prefer this spelling). I’ve not seen or heard any difference between the versions. Your compilation, Ingo (thanks again :tu: ), works OK on my iMac (with LPX). The only problem is the lack of built-in patch manager ; no FXB/FXP for the Mac version means no compatibility between the two systems, no banks so no PgChange, and no CC automation storage, and some problems with some daws. So, I have the impression (perhaps false) that the two versions are similar. A version numbering with a whatsnew.txt included in the zip file would be useful (Maybe it already exists, but I have not found where).
Why so many Mac users comments ? Because of this problem of patches and banks perhaps, and also because OB-Xd is the first real OBX emulation on Mac OS. OP-X Pro II is not for Mac (we can play it through VFX, not very convenient) and Sem V sounds Oberheim but it’s a bit different. So we appreciate this great soft even more :love: .

What a fun synth!! I thought I'd try to warm myself up by writing about the freeze! All synth sounds are OBXd:

http://soundcloud.com/ned-bouhalassa/po ... -obxd-demo

OK, so the products sidepanel is back on the forum, and now we see all the OP-X products linked to this topic. I don't think that's right ;) Also, since OBXd is now in the KVR-database, I added it to the sidebar as that is the correct product for this topic.

I don't know who added all the OP-X products, but that actually makes this OBXd-topic visible at the OP-X product pages :hihi:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:What a fun synth!! I thought I'd try to warm myself up by writing about the freeze! All synth sounds are OBXd:

http://soundcloud.com/ned-bouhalassa/po ... -obxd-demo
The wild cucumber bass reminded me of Propaganda's Dr. Mabuse :hihi:

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:What a fun synth!! I thought I'd try to warm myself up by writing about the freeze! All synth sounds are OBXd:...
Nice! I can feel the cold! (but at least it was sunny today ;) )

It sure is a fun synth! I keep being amazed what I can get out of it, I was going to make a demo and then decided to enter the one-synth challenge with it, although it's really out from the typical stuff you find there. I think I was so impressed with the way my claps turned out, the rest just evolved from them. ;) 35 instances of Obxd, but not all at the same time of course...

BTW: coincidentally I started my track with wind too! Fed up of winter yet? :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/angelz/breeze-dr ... pheat-obxd

TheKid wrote:Wow, this thing is hungry. Even when not playing anything only with GUI open it consumes 30% of my CPU (from CPU-meter in Ableton Live 9.1.1 32bit) on Windows 7 64bit.

GUI closed: http://snag.gy/25bbW.jpg
GUI open: http://snag.gy/aC2Nr.jpg (no sound playing)

I am running an i7 4770 with 3.50 Ghz on 8 cores, 16 Gb Ram.
You can see that our friend Breeze did that tune with... 35 instances of OBXD !!!
https://soundcloud.com/angelz/breeze-dr ... pheat-obxd
(click the cloud at the top right to have the details of what he used)

I can't imagine the CPU!!! It must have a motherboard with 4 chips model i9 on it (beta tester for Intel, heh?) and a full store of RAM!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hi,

while my desktop PC is still 32-bit i just upgraded my notebook to Windows 7 64-bit and the corresponding 64-bit hosts and plugins (no 32-but plugins installed at the moment).
Also checked the 64-bit OBXD plugin for Windows which so far seems to run nicely in Ableton Live 9 64-bit and Reaper 4 64-bit.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thanks for the info....

Return to “Instruments”