Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

PeWe wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Axis1~SL61 wrote:Multi-Mode would be redundant, IMHO, as we can use several instances of the VSTi, instead... Don't loose development time with this, give priority to the other things. If you really want to implement multi-mode, do it as a last priority, after everything else is working properly.
Totally agree.
That´s not true,- only valid for DAW usage.
It´s not a Xpander or Matrix-12 then.
What´s up when using it live and having no "Multi Patch Mode" ?
That is what the HEART of the Xpander/Matrix-12 is,- combining zones w/ split(layer abilities and play from the same or different MIDI channels.
And in Multi Patch Mode there are also global controllers for all the voices.

PeWe
PeWe has a point. Having Multi implemented inside the synth is not the same thing as running two instances. But the guys that pointed the development as a priority also has a point. Right, I would be glad to have an Xpander, if it does not have the Multi capabilities.

Those could be implemented as layers at a later stage, maybe with adding a new page editor just for that. Right now, efforts should be concentrated in getting a working version of something similar. That's the hard part of the job, IMO.

The rest can come later.
Fernando (FMR)

When thinking about a Xpander/Matrix-12 voice,- OBX-d isn´t the basis to create that at all.

It´s not only the count of different filters in a Xpander/Matrix-12 voice,- a OBX filter as wella s OBXa and OB-8 are totally different compared to the Xpander/M12,- the voice sounds completely different already at lowest level.

OBX is a derivate from SEM design, all the other follow ups are chip-synths and there are more analog components inside OBX, OBXa and OB-8 than you find in a Xpander or M12.

The filter(s) in the Xpander/M-12 are more or less software because they run on the CEM 3372 signal-precessor chip,- yes, that´s what it is.
Very early Xpanders had only a 24dB filter, but when it became a multi-mode filter, the CEM3372 appeared in the design.
We´re talking both US versions, not japanese ones which is a totally different story in addition.

There are several ways,- being interested in the architecture and fuctionality only,- or designing a emulation of a Xpander M12 voice 1st, than organize it in a shell you cann load as a VSTi itself in a host´s MIDI track and/or run standalone,- the shell enabling all the play modes, voice allocation, MIDI usage incl. controllers and adressing hardware I/Os (soundcard p.ex.).
Then you have the voice and select how many you want on which MIDI channel and so on,- incl. key ranges, velocity ranges and what else is adjustable for a single voice.
That´s the only way to get maybe 2 5-voice polyphonic parts and 2 mono synths in addtion,- all accessable from only one controller keyboard,- just an example ...

When doing this in a DAW w/ mono synths (single voices) you create several tracks, probably folder tracks too and have to do a lot of adjustments you only save w/ the project/song.

When realizing it w/ a shell you can load as a VSTi,- you save every combo as only ONE VST preset !
Big advantage,- no ?

PeWe

^^^ Well, we are talking "inspired by". ;) I personally like the basic sound of the Obxd, so I wouldn't mind staying with that and just working on the rest. I'm thinking of the quickest road to more functionality and flexibility from what we already have, than a 1:1 accuracy. Besides, I don't think a 1:1 would be possible without 2DaT actually having a real Xpander or Matrix-12 to work with. It's already hard enough to get anyone to contribute samples...

If I could choose hardware, I would prefer an OB-X(a) over a Matrix 12, frankly.
Programming the Matrix 12 must have been nasty, judging from the hardware panel. And it would be nasty on a plugin as well. Nor do I need all those modulation possibilities.

What about the OB-12? :hihi: That would make for one beautiful user interface :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:What about the OB-12? :hihi: That would make for one beautiful user interface :)
Interesting! More "to be inspired by". :D

It also seems to have inspired Clavia: it has double-filters with two Fq and Res peaks and a Morphing feature that could morph one preset to another; both were on the Nord Lead 3, and I miss those features. The Morph feature of the NL-3 wasn't touted as a "preset morpher", but it would allow multiple control offsets to be remapped from the preset setting via Velocity, Keys, AT and MW to multiple continuous parameters; you could so some useful things like set or alter Key Tracking, alter env speed by key, change LFO rate by AT, and do really drastic changes in sound in performance. Actually this might be a very elegant way of adding a lot of missing functionality to the basic Obxd design...

OK: call it an OB-16 and I'm in. ;)

***Update: I was just taking a look at the SOS review of the OB-12 and it turns out the morphing only morphs variable parameters, so it's much the same. It's actually more flexible as implemented in the NL-3.

fluffy_little_something wrote:If I could choose hardware, I would prefer an OB-X(a) over a Matrix 12, frankly.
Programming the Matrix 12 must have been nasty, judging from the hardware panel. And it would be nasty on a plugin as well. Nor do I need all those modulation possibilities.
It was the best analogue synth EVER. Programming was hard, but it would have been hard no matter the interface. The GUI in the picture I posted was inspired by the graphic that's on the panel of both the Xpander and Matrix-12, so, we had always a graphic guide to not get lost.

And there were more difficult to program synths to program at the time that were not so powerful, like the D-50 or the M1. Not to mention the truly nightmare that was the DX7.
fluffy_little_something wrote:What about the OB-12? :hihi: That would make for one beautiful user interface :)
The OB-12 was NOT an Oberheim (the only thing Oberheim there was the name). The last Oberheim was the OB-Mx, and even that is more Buchla than Oberheim.
Fernando (FMR)

It was very good, sure, but be careful about superlative statements, usually they are wrong and subjective ;) To some people Alesis' analog synth is the best, to others the Prophet...

Some people make such a hype about Oberheim, I think they are exaggerating a lot. They sure had a nice, distinct sound, but so did and do others. A lot of that hype seems to be based on nostalgia...

fluffy_little_something wrote:It was very good, sure, but be careful about superlative statements, usually they are wrong and subjective ;) To some people Alesis' analog synth is the best, to others the Prophet...

Some people make such a hype about Oberheim, I think they are exaggerating a lot. They sure had a nice, distinct sound, but so did and do others. A lot of that hype seems to be based on nostalgia...
Of course these are opinions, and, by definition subjective :wink: I also think the Andromeda is a great synth, but the Matrix-12 was and will always be, special to me. The Prophet? nah...
Nostalgia? Hey, I'm portuguese :hihi: You know how we are, right?
Fernando (FMR)

... out of context... :oops:

fmr wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:It was very good, sure, but be careful about superlative statements, usually they are wrong and subjective ;) To some people Alesis' analog synth is the best, to others the Prophet...

Of course these are opinions, and, by definition subjective :wink: I also think the Andromeda is a great synth, but the Matrix-12 was and will always be, special to me. The Prophet? nah...
Nostalgia? Hey, I'm portuguese :hihi: You know how we are, right?
Actually, I think the best analog synths were built after the classic Oberheims, today even. I would prefer a Dave Smith Prophet 12 to a Matrix 12 or any Oberheim or Moog anytime.

im working on a one synth challenge entry on this, almost done sort of.

its a great plugin, excellent job.

while i have no criticisms, i would in the future dig the xpander and especially the xpander rotater mode.

if only to try and sound like michael brecker on original rays.

ill try and keep watching but if that happens somebody pm me thanks!!!

Is the first page link invalid or is it just a problem on my end? Keeps saying "can't connect to the "real" dl.dropbox" :?:
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Was just listening to that tune on YT and looked up what the rotator mode is, there is a good explanation to be found here:
http://ewilogic.com/smf/index.php?topic=125.0

A.M. Gold wrote:Is the first page link invalid or is it just a problem on my end? Keeps saying "can't connect to the "real" dl.dropbox" :?:
Try the website: https://obxd.wordpress.com/ .

Same thing on the Win link. :(
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Return to “Instruments”