Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:Oberheim didn't do it wrong, they had a reason for the absence of that dot. That reason is not in the current GUI design, so now it is wrong and should be fixed.
the obx synth case is as big as my house, they could have moved the knobs lower and included the dot. so they did it wrong too, so they better fix it first... or i won't either :x

well, unless 2D wants me to :oops:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

crimsonwarlock wrote: The dot is NOT missing at 6 o'clock, as a potentiometer can not rotate 360 degrees. So there is a gap at the bottom that shows the start (left of the bottom) and the end (right of the bottom) of the potentiometer travel.

In the current design it looks like there is a similar 'break' in the potentiometer travel at the top of the scale. However, scales are 'normally' continuous around the travel of the potentiometers.
Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying better now.

So your entire beef is that the 12 o'clock dot is missing?

In other words, if you add the dot at 12 o'clock the scale would be "continuous."

layzer wrote:the obx synth case is as big as my house, they could have moved the knobs lower and included the dot. so they did it wrong too, so they better fix it first... or i won't either :x
No, they made a valid design decision, you clearly didn't.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Frantz wrote:Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying better now.

So your entire beef is that the 12 o'clock dot is missing?

In other words, if you add the dot at 12 o'clock the scale would be "continuous."
It could be fixed either by putting a 12 o'clock dot, or by spacing the current dots evenly around the travel of the knob.

Is this synth released? Does it sound good, a trance synth?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

crimsonwarlock wrote: It could be fixed either by putting a 12 o'clock dot, or by spacing the current dots evenly around the travel of the knob.
Right. But surely adding one dot at 12 o'clock would be easier than repositioning multiple dots. This was discussed pages ago and the conclusion was 2DAT didn't want it changed. (See quotes below.) So I don't understand why this convoluted discussion was necessary.
layzer wrote:
fmr wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote:Other tiny mentions on the GUI, is the lack of 12 o'clock position markers on the knobs.

Yes - I find this extremely weird as well. Especially because on the real OBX, there's no 12 o'clock marker because the parameter name is there. This is not the case in layzer's GUI, the parameter names are BELOW the knob, so he should reinstate the 12 o'clock markers on knobs! :)
WHAT? That is not going to be addressed? I thought it was discussed already... A big plus on 12 o'clock markers on knobs!
i know, guys. i know... 2D has had plenty of opertunity to address this in the many revisions of the gui i have sent him...last one being the 6th. his last reply was "it is ok"
its his call :shrug:

mysticvibes wrote:Is this synth released? Does it sound good, a trance synth?
Sorry, you have misunderstood this thread.

It's not about synth sound, good or otherwise. It's about minute dots on a good looking pro bono GUI.

So there!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

crimsonwarlock wrote:
layzer wrote:the obx synth case is as big as my house, they could have moved the knobs lower and included the dot. so they did it wrong too, so they better fix it first... or i won't either :x
No, they made a valid design decision, you clearly didn't.
they made a valid design decision by leaving out the dot because they didnt want to move the knobs lower? thats like saying a valid car design is one without a motor because the seats take up all the space inside the car your argument is clearly invalid.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Spitfire31 wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:Is this synth released? Does it sound good, a trance synth?
Sorry, you have misunderstood this thread.

It's not about synth sound, good or otherwise. It's about minute dots on a good looking pro bono GUI.

So there!

/Joachim
:hihi:

But could be worse - could be no interest in it at all. Lotsa dots is good, but let's rock on!

everyone should consider the feelings of the dot at 12 oclock, synth knobs love to be tweeked, in fact it just can't wait to be tweeked and perform its function, its reason for being, so these should all be considered in the design stages, consider the point of the view of the dot at 12 oclock before proceeding any further in these grand designs
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:everyone should consider the feelings of the dot at 12 oclock, synth knobs love to be tweeked, in fact it just can't wait to be tweeked and perform its function, its reason for being, so these should all be considered in the design stages, consider the point of the view of the dot at 12 oclock before proceeding any further in these grand designs
Good lad. Now he gets it. And funny too...

Oh bugger now I'm following this train wreck.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

mysticvibes wrote:everyone should consider the feelings of the dot at 12 oclock,,,
"But how does the room feel about it?"

- Godley & Creme 1979
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-YiM2vZuo

Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The legato modes do have an effect in unison mode, just tried it...

Learning and unlearning also seems to work flawlessly...
Weird. Something's definitely up at my end with both and I just re-downloaded the dll you linked-to and installed it to make sure. Just tried 64-bit in Reaper and there the learning doesn't seem to be working at all.

Just to be clear: if I'm in Unison mode and I have a very long attack and a very long release, with Decay at 0 and Sustain on Full, if I play a note (8-voices) and I've set the Legato to Retrigger, when this note reaches a high volume and I let go and play a second note, the first note should be cut off and the new one should fade in slowly, right? Or am I not understanding this?
Are you sure you follow exact midi learn procedure ?:
1)push midi learn button
2)move knob on gui
3)move controller
Retrigger works as it should. Envelopes still remain their level.

Frantz wrote:Right. But surely adding one dot at 12 o'clock would be easier than repositioning multiple dots. This was discussed pages ago and the conclusion was 2DAT didn't want it changed. (See quotes below.) So I don't understand why this convoluted discussion was necessary.
So maybe 2dat didn't have the correct information and regarded it as a graphic design issue and not as something ergonomic and related to how potentiometers work in real life and how that translates to the perception of the knobs on his synth.

I agree it is a decision that 2dat should make, but still something that needs the 'correct' decision. I surely hope he will take this advice the way it is meant; advice about correct ergonomic design ;)

Return to “Instruments”