Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

About the dialogue between a DAW and the VSTIs, in another thread someone has mentioned this tool:
http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/pro ... sMIDIfier/

Absolutely incredible!

And free!!!

Don't forget to see the video!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

idfpower wrote:For the record: the plugin & preset banks works flawlessly in FL 9 Studio. So if there's an issue (at all), it must be something related to its newer versions (such as FL11).

On a different note, I simply don't understand why FL seems so complicated to some ppl...
First i had used the demo version of FL studio 11.0.4 whicjh should be the latest. Could not confirm the reported problem with the fxb files (see my screenshots) at Windows 7 32-bit.

Second as mentiojned i am a lomng time live user i i don't get why several others DAWs/hosts seem to be complicated in comparison, even for simple tasks. A few examples:

1.) In Live you pick the VST plugin from teh browser at the left and add it to the track by drag & drop. Done.
In FL 11 demo 3rd party VSts do not seem to appear in the browser at the left but you have to click trough 2-3 drop-down menus (e.g. CHANNELS -Y Add one -Y More -> slect plugin forom list). For adding FXs there are several drop-down list in the mixer section while in Live they are added like synths (and the control windows stay at the bottom of the GUI like the synths).

2.) in Live the patch browser is always visible together with the control panel for the synth plugin while in FL 11 you have to open a drop-down menu from another drop-down menu called "Presets".
if you want to load or save patches or banks you have to switch to another windowthat closes the synth GUI, select the correct tab and after be ing done then have to go back to the synth GUI.
In Live the load and save buttons are available at the synth plugin control panel (which is always at the bottom of the Live GUI, except in track view) and renaming patches is available from a right-click menu. The synth GUi itself does not have any controls and that control panel is also usable without opening the GUI (and you could select patches without opening the GUI).
The control panels for FXs are in the same line and you could open their GUIs from those if necessary. Those panels also offer mapping plugin controls to MIDI or automation

3.) In Live many imoprtant things like e.g. settimg MIDI controllers for a track, MIDI routing, audio routing and MIDI channels are available in side the mixer section and for each track.
In FL 11 so far i was not able to find how to set a MIDI controller for a specific track oe how to route MIDI and/or audio.
I sometimes use two keyborad controllers and another additional controller and in Live this is very easy to use, also for doing layers when i could select the same keyboard controller for different tracks (or route the MIDI to do the same).

Noticed other things but this is enough for the start. I am very sure that FL Studio will never become my main DAW and i'll kep this demo version only as it could be maybe helpful during upcoming beta tests.
I am very happy with Live 9 Suite and Reaper 4 and also got Energy XT 2.7 which is not installed at the moment.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I never liked FL, the workflow, the gloomy interface, etc. It's for young people :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:It's for young people :roll:
Possible... But it's used by adult people also :party:
(and probably a lot if we see how many times it is mentioned each day here and everywhere)

So it is normal to take it in consideration in the phase of tests of a new VST.

And a advanced tool doesn't avoid to give it a pleasant or even funny look. That's all.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I never liked FL, the workflow, the gloomy interface, etc. It's for young people :roll:
Well it seems that FL12 will get a wacky GUI, but for the record, even in the older version is skinnable. I prefer the default 'cause it's clean and doesn't distract me, but I've seen some crazy UIs on YouTube :) And btw, OBXD is displayed that large on my 19 inch monitor as well (so maybe it has something to do with FL - same happens with Tyrell...and a couple others).

@Ingo
There are other ways of working in FL - depending on how you want to keep it organized. Instead of adding channels, you can just right click an existing one and either "insert" or "replace" it with another VSTI (should be the same for newer versions). As for banks and presets, I prefer to have a folder for each instrument and inside a subfolder with the presets. To load them just click on the cog wheel knob in the upper left (wrapping settings) - same for saving ;) It may not be "all in 1 window", but it's not that complicated either - agreed, not typical DAW settings - but then again I can't do a single thing is Ableton Live 'cause everything is displayed upside down or backwards, see :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Ingonator wrote:
First i had used the demo version of FL studio 11.0.4 whicjh should be the latest. Could not confirm the reported problem with the fxb files (see my screenshots) at Windows 7 32-bit.
Just had an idea. I did my test with the FL 11.0.4 demo (see previous page) and the latest OBXD 32-bit version on Windows 7 32-bit.

There also seems to be a 64-bit version of FL Studio so is it possible the problem with loading fxb files is somehow related to the 64-bit version of OBXD and FL Studio?.

another option could be a corrupted doenload of the bank file. This is a ZIP file that includes only the fxb files of the pathes collection i had published:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 20only.zip

This is also available at the KVR patches database.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

damn that hidden library folder! took an hour for me to figure out how to make it visible :?

Up and running now though lol, Thanks for thr great synth.
Last edited by JDPB on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Ingo for investigating
I have no idea what's wrong with my config
I'll try again later and let you know

Cheers
David

BlackWinny wrote:
But I'd say better: it should be good to reverse the trend and have almost all (instead of almost none of) the free synths made in the same manner that has been made OBXD: publicly and with the participation of spontaneous teams!
I suppose spontaneity is the hard part. How often to people just appear and say "I want to make a softsynth".

One thing I might suggest is that 2dat sets a date beyond which he ceases to provide support for this synth. I know from following the story of the SQ-8L synth, that having people constantly ask you for technical support, for a free synth, may wear you out. Better to leave the code in a state that other people can port it to new operating systems or plugin standards, instead.

Which reminds me, if anyone was thinking about doing an authentically vintage sounding sampler plugin (like what Morgana was meant to be) Ranier Buchty might also have some interesting things to say on the matter of interpolation algorithms and AD/DA conversion. He'd be even more amenable if you were willing to port things to Linux, which he works in exclusively.

When people write so much about it, do they still have time to actually make music with it? 8) The fascination with the potential :hihi:

Wow, this thing is hungry. Even when not playing anything only with GUI open it consumes 30% of my CPU (from CPU-meter in Ableton Live 9.1.1 32bit) on Windows 7 64bit.

GUI closed: http://snag.gy/25bbW.jpg
GUI open: http://snag.gy/aC2Nr.jpg (no sound playing)

I am running an i7 4770 with 3.50 Ghz on 8 cores, 16 Gb Ram.

Yes, this first release of OBXD is know to be hungry in CPU usage.

By default, 30% without having played a first sound is common for the present release of OBXD. But it doesn't increase a lot when playing (of course it depends what we play).

It will be optimized. But for the moment it is possible to reduce the CPU usage simply by decreasing the polyphony (the number of voices in the LCD display). Setting the number of voices to 6 or 4 (it depends regarding the patch you use or your own tunings when trying to find your sound) decreases immediately the CPU usage to about 20%-25% which is relatively good for many styles. And as I wrote above it doesn't increase a lot when playing (of course it depends what we play).

Here at home with my i5 and 8 Gb RAM I can use up to 6 instances of OBXD simultaneously with an average of 4-6 voices by instance. That's quite right for a first version of a (free) VST giving so amazing sounds which are far better than some paywares already emulating Oberheim gear... OBXD being a new VST which has already a very warm welcome by all, sure there will be future versions that will optimize still better the CPU usage.

although it doesnt cause me much concern that OBXD uses cpu at idle....
i think if 2D can drop cpu to 0% when no notes are played, it would give other VST'S that
cpu power that are playing notes.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:although it doesnt cause me much concern that OBXD uses cpu at idle....
i think if 2D can drop cpu to 0% when no notes are played, it would give other VST'S that
cpu power that are playing notes.
It would be the best, yes.

For the moment we must wait a little, I think, but I'm confident in the future of this wonderful synth.
:tu:

I must confess to being slightly weirded out by the variance in cpu use. I'm not experiencing that much.

Again, I'm on a seven-year-old stock Acer (2.4GHz AMD dual-core, 2G of RAM), XP Pro SP3 using Reaper and still with all 8 voices on and used, sustained, with a patch with unison I'm still only getting about 17% cpu use on the machine total (with a browser that has about 15 tabs open and iTunes running in the background). Reaper's process meter shows it to be using only about 12% and OBXD using only around 8% of that (which, incidentally, is what it's also using when idle).

Even my Win 7 laptop, which is only a 'netbook' with one of those little AMD Vision processors I'm not experiencing that much more.*
:shrug:

How are folks with more modern and more powerful machines getting these issues (and others I've run across on this board which always make me shrug or scratch my head)?
:?

*I actually switched to Reaper because it was the only thing that would run well on the netbook. Even things like Psycle and Buzz (and energyXT to a lesser extent) ran less efficiently. I can make music on that little 'weak' laptop no problem.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Return to “Instruments”