Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Edit
Last edited by DrewDale on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:2Dat: will any changes between now and the final release break patch compatibility? Are any additional feature changes even being worked on or are you just looking to fix bugs? Is there any chance of a Mac version?

Figured someone should just ask you some of these questions directly.
One remeaning thing i want to add is nice 24-6 dB slope multimode for 24 db filter. This wont break current patches.
Mac version is planned, but dont expect it soon (maybe within mounth or 2). Making it without mac is hard, but doable :D

2DaT wrote:Mac version is planned, but dont expect it soon (maybe within mounth or 2). Making it without mac is hard, but doable :D
Well, you did an Obie without an Obie, didn't you? :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

2DaT wrote:One remaining thing i want to add is nice 24-6 dB slope multimode for 24 db filter. This wont break current patches.
That's a good alternative to compensate for the absence of fractional keyboard tracking! :clap: Maybe you could even relax the tracking (when on) as you move towards 6 dB?... maybe not...

But this also means you'll have to finally make the on status of the bandpass and 24dB switches mutually exclusive... ;)

Hmm... what label will this get on the GUI now... :hihi:

hope we might get a mac version to play with at some point.... 8)
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Breeze wrote:But this also means you'll have to finally make the on status of the bandpass and 24dB switches mutually exclusive... ;)

Hmm... what label will this get on the GUI now... :hihi:
Filter VAM :lol:

Can someone please list which banks are compatible with the latest version ?
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:Can someone please list which banks are compatible with the latest version ?
So far those from Breeze seem to be optimized.

I started to compare my own patches in both versions but did not find any big difference with the first ones.
Possible problems should be related to patches that use the Spread feature. AFAIK 2DAT also mentioned this is somehow related to the sampling fequency used in the host. I am usually uising 44.1 kHz:
2DaT wrote:Uploaded new version (possibly unstable - need checking).
Less cpu spikes. Possibly less gui bugs. Corrected filter resonance damping at different sample rates (nothing changed @ 44kHz).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jye ... /Obxd2.zip
Possible that i have to switch to a hifgher sampling rate to see the difference. Opposing to many other opatches

Anway all patches will work in the latest version while it is possible that some have to be adjusted maybe. While starting to play with the patches collection i did not notice big propblems so far.

The previous version is available in the OP and if necesary you could try using both versions with those patches.

Will continue checking my own patches.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:So far those from Breeze seem to be optimized.
Hi Ingo! Um, no! They're not! The last revision I made was simply an update of the original release for the old dll. This morning I just finished revising my bank for the 2nd time. I realize the last time I posted I wrote "the final revision" and I just changed that to "first".

So the second revision of my bank, now adjusted for the latest 14-01-23 dll release, can be found here (same link and archive name as before - different contents marked "rev2"):

Breeze Meat-n-Potatoes Obxd Bank - Rev2

I found in general that I had to sharpen OSC2 and pull back on the Spread control, but how much of each depended on where the spread control was in the original patch. In the end I mostly used my ears. I also modded a few patches (solo brass among a few others) IMO for the better and I went through the entire bank making sure the pitch was as close to concert as possible, and opting for slightly sharp when there was too much variation. I strongly suggest people to update to this bank for the new dll.

BTW, I've decided to put a moratorium on any new patches until we get a few version from 2DaT with his proposed filter change.

Some observations from my latest time spend with Obxd:

- Trying to match some of my old patches to the new dll wasn't easy mainly because of the base random detuning which makes every keypress ever so lightly different. It's one of Obxd's best features, but I hope I don't have to do this again!

- I find the vibrato doesn't come in smoothly. Is it me?

- Does anyone use "Bend OSC 2"? I could see that used for your classic "bend one note into another" guitar lick, or adding some pitch slides into attacks. What do you use it for? And what is it used for traditionally other than the above?

- There's a glaring open space on the LFO for something; I would opt for re-trigger of the LFO on keypress (+ swing of the sine/sqr -trigger of the s/h) ; there are many times when using an LFO as an envelope would be handy; it can also be used to tempo-match modulation (since there's no sync).

BTW, I've decided to put a moratorium on any new patches until we get a few version from 2DaT with his proposed filter change.
Testing it.
- I find the vibrato doesn't come in smoothly. Is it me?
Strange. Vibrato uses same smoothing as used by pitch wheel. Is it smooth enough?
- Does anyone use "Bend OSC 2"? I could see that used for your classic "bend one note into another" guitar lick, or adding some pitch slides into attacks. What do you use it for? And what is it used for traditionally other than the above?
2 words - Hard sync. :D

@Igno:
Plugin behaves 95% the same with different sample rates. That resonance damping is hearable when you try to set cutoff with high resonance on lowest harmonic partial of the wave - this prevents getting filter really loud (like in analogs).

2DaT wrote: @Igno:
Plugin behaves 95% the same with different sample rates. That resonance damping is hearable when you try to set cutoff with high resonance on lowest harmonic partial of the wave - this prevents getting filter really loud (like in analogs).
Hi,

good to know. Just wanted to continue to check my patches with both versions.

Will also add the update of Breeze to the patches collection. Already created the single patch files from the bank file (with Tobybear MiniHost). Will post a new update after i had checked /and mabye corrected if needed) my patches.

Indeed i had used the "Bend Osc 2" feature with the Sync Lead patch (additionally to the pitch modulation by the filter envelope).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

2DaT wrote:2 words - Hard sync. :D .
Ingonator wrote:Indeed i had used the "Bend Osc 2" feature with the Sync Lead patch (additionally to the pitch modulation by the filter envelope).
Ahhh!!! I guess I was never really into "that" sound. ;)

Thanks Ingo!

Breeze wrote:
2DaT wrote:2 words - Hard sync. :D .
Ingonator wrote:Indeed i had used the "Bend Osc 2" feature with the Sync Lead patch (additionally to the pitch modulation by the filter envelope).
Ahhh!!! I guess I was never really into "that" sound. ;)

Thanks Ingo!
Wou're welcome. :)

Finsihed creating single patch files from your updated bank and also sorted them into the category folders too. Updating the banks will be quite simple (as soon as i got the single patch files...), also as the amount of patches did not change.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

New version:
24 db multimode - very different to 12 db multimode. Controls slope from 24 to 6 dB.
Tweaks to 24 db filter.
Midi all notes off support.
Some dc leakage - square wawes arent so square at low frequencies (has minor effect on sound).

2DaT wrote:New version:
24 db multimode - very different to 12 db multimode. Controls slope from 24 to 6 dB.
Tweaks to 24 db filter.
Midi all notes off support.
Some dc leakage - square wawes arent so square at low frequencies (has minor effect on sound).
Very cool new feature. Many thanks for the new filter mode. I love the adjustable filter modes (1 to 4 poles) in my Mog Slim Phatty and in this case it is even continuous. A 3 Pole filter could be helpful for my "Acid" Bass patches (either use for te existing ones or create new patches).
The difference in the resulting sound when reducing filter poes coud be huge and 6dB Lowpass filters are quite rare (don't remember many of them besides the Moog Phattys).

Have checked with help of a Signal Analyzer. The minimum knob positions seems to correspond to 24dB, the maximum to 6dB and the middle position to the 12 dB filter. based on that the 18 dB should be between the minimum and the middle.

As i started checking my patches i will use this latest and the one two versions earlier (that which is used to create the patches) to compare. Got 3 versions of the DLL now where i kept the latest at the original name.

UPDATE:
I guess i have just found the difference in my patches with the old and new version. I checked an Unison Lead and with the old version it seems to sound more detuned. Increasing the Spread in the latest version seems to fix it.
In patches without Unison i hardly found any difference yet.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”