Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

aciddose wrote:In master section I've only ever seen "pitch" working this way. Although if meant to be inspired by the function of an existing design, may as well follow the existing design regardless of how odd it may be.
Agreed. I just checked the OBX schematic and the transpose is mixed with LFO, bend, vibrato and tune, and sent to the osc's but the key-cv is sent directly to the osc and filter circuits, so it isn't altered by the transpose switch.

Actually, looking at these schematics it's quite impressive that we're at the point where we can convincingly virtualize these monsters. The number of components and interconnects is staggering and the fact that we can reproduce it in a few megabytes of data is even more so.

@2Dat: thanks for the clarifications. One more thing (yes I know I can be a PITA!): the OSC2 detune control is short by about 40 cents to the complete semi-tone. Would you consider making it a full semi-tone? Then again, this may be typical of the OBX... though positive-only osc2 detune is not... :shrug:

Frantz wrote:
layzer wrote: proposed solution for 24db 4 pole button label :?:
I hope you're satisified Evil Dragon. Now we've got friggin' hieroglyphics! :x

But seriously, it's OK although I prefered BP and 24 or 24dB.
+1. BP and 24 were much clearer. But I like the changes to all the other labels in the last version. I'm happy either way though.

I say use the last GUI! It's perfectly clear if you spend 5 minutes playing with it. I'm excited for this to be finished.

PAK wrote:Couple I tried the other night.. The last one is actually based on a real OB-X button (needs colour correction :) ) The other 3 are different versions of a rendered source.

Like the two-tone blue. Overall, a very pro looking gui.

layzer wrote:Image

oh i give up, its just gonna have to be a button where the led only changes :shrug:
No, this is good! Except I feel you should swap the two pressed states (when going from off to on, the pressed state should have LED off, not on, and vice versa).

EvilDragon wrote:

oh i give up, its just gonna have to be a button where the led only changes :shrug:
No, this is good! Except I feel you should swap the two pressed states (when going from off to on, the pressed state should have LED off, not on, and vice versa).
Why? The two states seem identical, only while pressing the button does the border change.

PAK wrote:Couple I tried the other night.. The last one is actually based on a real OB-X button (needs colour correction :) ) The other 3 are different versions of a rendered source.
Looks very realistic, the dark metal surface in particular, and the side panel.
The forth button is ugly, looks like a strong light is shining on cheap plastic.

I don't agree at all about animating the buttons. What does it matter how the original switches move? Are we being purist or practical?

The main thing, IMO, is to get a clear visual signal that the button has been 'pressed'. And the 'shadow' reinforces that feedback better than the LED by itself. Again IMO.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

PAK wrote:Image
Some nice button work but I prefer Layzer's effort overall.

It seems like your section grouping was inspired by a "Hello My Name is" label: :)

In case anyone missed it, Optical Fingerprint's quick demo is very tasty:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/583 ... Around.wav

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Why? The two states seem identical, only while pressing the button does the border change.
The border change is the pressed state. Now, when you go from off to on state, ISTR the LED turns on when the button is actually RELEASED, not WHILE it's pressed. Vice versa, when you go from on to off state, the LED turns off when the button is released back into non-pressed position.

EvilDragon wrote:
The border change is the pressed state. Now, when you go from off to on state, ISTR the LED turns on when the button is actually RELEASED, not WHILE it's pressed. Vice versa, when you go from on to off state, the LED turns off when the button is released back into non-pressed position.
without having an real obx in front of me, i dont know how the led lights when pressed so im gonna go with whatever dragon says. i'll switch the pressed state to an off led in the strip....... :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Ah, that's what you mean. Well, maybe the light goes on too fast when turning it on. But the release seems ok. The light status should change whenever the button is being released I suppose.
Button automation introduces time, one more reason not to animate buttons...
How would those buttons even react if one kept the mouse button pressed for seconds? :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:How would those buttons even react if one kept the mouse button pressed for seconds? :roll:
The pressed state would stay for as long as you hold the mouse on the button, easy. That's exactly the same behaviour as in, for example, Kontakt.

EvilDragon wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:How would those buttons even react if one kept the mouse button pressed for seconds? :roll:
The pressed state would stay for as long as you hold the mouse on the button, easy. That's exactly the same behaviour as in, for example, Kontakt.
I meant the LED state. Would the LED go on or off at the beginning or end of a long mouse click? 8)

Return to “Instruments”