Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

layzer wrote:as someone already mentioned, OBXD is one hell of a
synth for an amature DSP programmers first synth! :hail: 2DAT!

Yep 2DAT should receive a lot of job proposals soon :)

I'm going to be a pain, and make a suggestion:I'd like to see 50% filter keytracking. I think it should be possible without needing a GUI update and without breaking existing presets.

So right now I have a patch where I'd like a little less keytracking than current, but more than having it off entirely. A 50% setting would likely get me just where I want the sound to be.

I think this could be accomplished using the existing Keytracking button where off = off, then maybe have an orange LED that would indicate 50% keytracking, and the current red LED would equal full-on keytracking.

Hopefully, the key tracking value is being stored as either 0 (off) or 100 (on) so that adding a value of 50 would not break existing presets. If that could be done, and only then, I'd think it would be a fantastic addition.

So in short, the Filter Keytrack button could have 3 states:

1. 0 (Off - LED off - current functionality)
2. 50 (Half - orange LED - new functionality)
3. 100 (current full-key tracking - red LED - current functionality)

I think that could be a nice unobtrusive way to add some more versatility to what's turned out to be a fantastic synth.

Here's a very simple Wurlitzer style preset. I started out with Breeze's Shimmer Keys and trying to tune it, then somehow ended up turning it into a simple Wurli type patch. Way less cool sounding than the original, but at least it's in tune. :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wio54tam3h8dn ... litXer.fxp

Ingo, if you feel like adding it to the community bank, feel free.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Here's a very simple Wurlitzer style preset. I started out with Breeze's Shimmer Keys and trying to tune it, then somehow ended up turning it into a simple Wurli type patch. Way less cool sounding than the original, but at least it's in tune. :lol:

Downloaded and added to a new folder (do you wish to add your real name too?). :)

Just submitted the files for another project and got some time to do sorting by categories now. Sorting by patch names is finished now so the the rest (around 33%) has to be sorted by listening to the patches first.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Here's a very simple Wurlitzer style preset. I started out with Breeze's Shimmer Keys and trying to tune it, then somehow ended up turning it into a simple Wurli type patch. Way less cool sounding than the original, but at least it's in tune. :lol:

Downloaded and added to a new folder (do you wish to add your real name too?). :)

Just submitted the files for another project and got some time to do sorting by categories now. Sorting by patch names is finished now so the the rest (around 33%) has to be sorted by listening to the patches first.

Ingo
Honestly, I doubt I'll be contributing much (I'm up to around 70 DIVA patches, which is my most used synth, and I've owned it since the beta - so sound design clearly isn't really my thing). Maybe rather than create a whole folder just for me, just put in a Miscellaneous folder. This way if I, or anyone else, wants to contribute a patch or two here and there, we don't need a folder each.

I think the sorting by categories approach is the way to go. Maybe give each preset designer a pre-defined suffix so we know who made the patch. As a user, I definitely want to audition a series of bass sounds, or brass, synth or pad sounds, etc. so having them all lumped in together by category is the best approach.

Do you have any intention of normalizing volume at all? It's not even something I considered, but can make or break a preset bank. I understand you're doing this on your own time and this isn't fully sanctioned by 2Dat yet (though I'm hoping he includes these banks), plus you may not want to modify someone else's patch.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Honestly, I doubt I'll be contributing much (I'm up to around 70 DIVA patches, which is my most used synth, and I've owned it since the beta - so sound design clearly isn't really my thing). Maybe rather than create a whole folder just for me, just put in a Miscellaneous folder. This way if I, or anyone else, wants to contribute a patch or two here and there, we don't need a folder each.

I think the sorting by categories approach is the way to go. Maybe give each preset designer a pre-defined suffix so we know who made the patch. As a user, I definitely want to audition a series of bass sounds, or brass, synth or pad sounds, etc. so having them all lumped in together by category is the best approach.
As not all patches contain a signature (like e.g. "IW" for mine) sorting into folders is the only way for me to keep track about which patches belong to which sound designer. In the "community bank" files where i sorted patches i used an Init patch with renaming to the sound designers name in frnont of the patches of that sound designer.

In the category sorted banks it will be maybe not so clear which patch belongs to who. By those foldrs and the other bank files sorted by sound designer this could be "reverse engineered".
Maybe i'll also ad some kind of signature to all patches but that will take some time and the characters for patch names are also limited. For mine i always took sure to include my signature at the end.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

when I try to load a full preset bank via flstudio the presets do not appear.. is this a known issue ?

GJK wrote:when I try to load a full preset bank via flstudio the presets do not appear.. is this a known issue ?
Works nicely in Ableton Live 9 32-bit, Reaper 4.4 32-bit and Tobybear MiniHost here.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
GJK wrote:when I try to load a full preset bank via flstudio the presets do not appear.. is this a known issue ?
Works nicely in Ableton Live 9 32-bit, Reaper 4.4 32-bit and Tobybear MiniHost here.

Ingo
doesnt answer his question...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'm going to be a pain...
No pain, no gain! :hihi:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: So right now I have a patch where I'd like a little less keytracking than current, but more than having it off entirely. A 50% setting would likely get me just where I want the sound to be....

I think this could be accomplished using the existing Keytracking button where off = off, then maybe have an orange LED that would indicate 50% keytracking, and the current red LED would equal full-on keytracking.
I won't say no, but it's a slippery slope! While I program the Obxd, I find myself missing loads of stuff. I'd take 50% key tracking any day, or a rotary control like was mentioned before.

But we have to ask ourselves: when does it stop'? The Obxd is supposed to be an OB-X emulation but it's already broken that limitation significantly with the features it already has.

I hope 2DaT comes to a decision regarding the final design. It would be a shame to have to keep track of multiple patch sets for multiple versions of the same synth... ;)

@2DaT
Is it possible to program the switches and knobs assignment with a separate midi CC? For example, a right mouse click on the respective elements of the OBXD a CC selection set?

Another bug, similar to the Ariesverb one: some synthedit plugs (I was using one with a white GUI called Formant Filter) give massive audio spikes from OBXD, followed by silence. Even if I delete the offending plugin from the project, OBXD refuses to make sound again until I close and reopen my DAW

Kriminal wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

Ingo
It does as it means it's not a general problem with all DAWS but either a problem with FLStudio or a problem of FLStudio with OBXD.
I was recently working a lot with loading patches, craeating banks etc. (while sorting the patches submitted by members here) and never encountered any problems there.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

Ingo
It does as it means it's not a general problem with all DAWS but either a problem with FLStudio or a problem of FLStudio with OBXD.
I was recently working a lot with loading patches, craeting banks etc. and never encountered any problems there.

Ingo
He is asking if its a known issue in FL. Maybe you missed the part where he didnt mention any of the hosts in your post.

Breeze wrote: I won't say no, but it's a slippery slope! While I program the Obxd, I find myself missing loads of stuff. I'd take 50% key tracking any day, or a rotary control like was mentioned before.
I woulkd say the best to keep patches compatible would be the way to implement the keytracking like already mentioned before: LED art the switch off for 0%, orange for 50% and red for 100% (or creating two switches for 50% and 100%).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”