Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Ingonator wrote:
fmr wrote: Also, Ingo, can you send me a patch for reference regarding volume/gain? Or point me some plug-in which i could use for reference?
Hi Fernando,

hi had checked a few Metering plugins but each of them seems deliver different results (and i'm mostly intersted in the Peak which some of them do not display) so currently i am using the display in the corresponding track in Live 9 (volume fader set to 0dB). There is a Peak display in Live 9 (changes to yellow when abobe 0 dB) which is the most important feature for me.
Hmm... I don't have/use Live. You have VSTHost, right? Can you compare the audio meters in there and see of they show aproximated values? VSTHost is what I use when I am programming patches, and I also play directly from the keyboard too (better to try real life ideas).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
fmr wrote: Also, Ingo, can you send me a patch for reference regarding volume/gain? Or point me some plug-in which i could use for reference?
Hi Fernando,

hi had checked a few Metering plugins but each of them seems deliver different results (and i'm mostly intersted in the Peak which some of them do not display) so currently i am using the display in the corresponding track in Live 9 (volume fader set to 0dB). There is a Peak display in Live 9 (changes to yellow when abobe 0 dB) which is the most important feature for me.
Hmm... I don't have/use Live. You have VSTHost, right? Can you compare the audio meters in there and see of they show aproximated values? VSTHost is what I use when I am programming patches, and I also play directly from the keyboard too (better to try real life ideas).
Currently using 2 controllers to also compare the patches to the old version.I also posted a patch and the corresponding Peak volume in Live 9. Maybe this helps too.
Have not used VSTHost for ages but will have a lok ASAP.

Also had a few cases where the patch seemed to sound much different to the old and noticed that in those the 24dB switch was activated while the Multi knob was not in the default position. Since the latest update this could lead to trouble while it was no problem with the older versions..

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Spitfire31 wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I wonder how many times you can repeat ' i am making/collecting/sorting/uploading presets......wait until its fnished and you only have to do it once
Going thru the thread trying to find info about the synth is a pain as nearly every other post is a repeated spam text about the presets.... :roll:
So, what did you contribute?

If all you can do is trolling, why don't you just shut the [expletive deleted] up?

/Joachim
No one has contributed, a few same old same old brass sounds dont count, so you shut the f**k up. :roll:

Kriminal wrote: No one has contributed, a few same old same old brass sounds dont count, so you shut the f**k up. :roll:
Did you actually have a look at the patches collection? I currently got 26 patches where aroun 9 fit into the Brass category. Overall there are 46 of around 410 patches taht could fit there.
Anyway an Oberheim synth without any Brass patches would be quite odd IMO. It's also not the case that all of them do sound similar (evenwhen trying to replicate the same sound liek e.g. "Jump").
For example the collection includes more than 100 patches in the Pads and Strings category.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

No one has contributed to this Steinway. Just the same boring old piano sound.

HERE'S ALL MY PATCHES PLEASE INCLUDE THEM IN COMMUNITY BANK BEFORE V1
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/a67a32c5
IT'S A LOT OF BASS AND BRASS PRESETS, MAINLY 1980'S SOUNDING BRASS AND THINK BASSES, USE LOWER NOTES ON THE BASSES FROM C2-C4, I INCLUDED ALL PRESETS I PROGRAMMED SINCE I DOWNLOADED THIS 4 WEEKS AGO.

Got them. This raised the patches count to 432. If it goes on like that until the final version we will maybe reach 500 patches... :o :)
'

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

For simple stereo gain metering I highly recommend Sonalksis's 3G. Peak, RMS, Reset, etc... And it's free.

But while metering is important to avoid peaks, the nature of the sound also dictates level choices. An overly bright sound may sound too aggressive on auditioning so it should naturally be scaled back. As Ingo discussed, typical usage is important. Using your ears at a nominal monitoring SPL is also important.

fmr wrote: Hmm... I don't have/use Live. You have VSTHost, right? Can you compare the audio meters in there and see of they show aproximated values? VSTHost is what I use when I am programming patches, and I also play directly from the keyboard too (better to try real life ideas).
Just checked with the patch that has around -3.1 db on Live 9.

In VSTHost it seems to have around -10 dB. If i adjust to around -3 dB there it would clip like hell in Live 9.

Anyway in VSTHost that level i had adjusted in Live 9 is in the yellow range so it should be OK.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

DAW-specific volume differences suck, as if it were not difficult enough to have to take into account factors such as the settings for filter keyboard tracking and both filter and amp velocity sensitivity...

I always find it annoying when synths come with presets that are all too loud. But then again, maybe they only are because I am using a different DAW than the programmer. Some plugins at least come with a patch-independent global volume knob so that it is enough to reduce the volume once per instance...

Ingonator wrote:
fmr wrote: Hmm... I don't have/use Live. You have VSTHost, right? Can you compare the audio meters in there and see of they show aproximated values? VSTHost is what I use when I am programming patches, and I also play directly from the keyboard too (better to try real life ideas).
Just checked with the patch that has around -3.1 db on Live 9.

In VSTHost it seems to have around -10 dB. If i adjust to around -3 dB there it would clip like hell in Live 9.

Anyway in VSTHost that level i had adjusted in Live 9 is in the yellow range so it should be OK.
Just switched "Peak Value Level Meters" in VST Host on and now the level is identical to that in Live 9.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Hello everyone

I just discovered this thread yesterday and I'm reading all the history from the first page. I'm now at the page 35 at this point:
layzer wrote:Image

http://s22.postimg.org/huv7e2d4h/OBXD.png

i like breeze's knob order, but not splitting the title up so much though.
so back to controller title and more descriptive lables. a plus is that it takes up some empty section space with 2 label rows :D .

2DAT, i just have to make the legato and voices lcd animation strips and i will pm u a zip link :)
Great, great, great work! With a chorus like TAL for instance and a small hint of reverb, it is awesome for long pads!

I'd like to make a suggestion for a function which could be very useful for the reproduction of woodwind-like sounds (maybe it's done now at the present state of the synth). And it is a function which is sadly rarely implemented despite the fact that it is yet very useful for that kind of sounds AND probably very easy to implement: an ADSR (or an AR) envelope for the noise source (and triggered exactly as the amp envelope to avoid oddities in legato/portamento). When we synthesize woodwind sounds it is very often a function which is lacking... yet it is a predominant part of the reproduction of the envelope of these sounds. It is also very useful for the reproduction of the short beginning of the life of unnumerous other sounds.

Could it be possible to add this to OBXD, 2DaT?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Ingonator wrote: Just switched "Peak Value Level Meters" in VST Host on and now the level is identical to that in Live 9.
Ingo
Thanks man. You rock :tu: Will take that into consideration when revising my patches.
-3dB it is.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Just switched "Peak Value Level Meters" in VST Host on and now the level is identical to that in Live 9.
Ingo
Thanks man. You rock :tu: Will take that into consideration when revising my patches.
-3dB it is.
I am using arouund -3 dB -4 dB (with 3 notes for polyphonic sounds). Some patches in the collection were so loud that i had to reduce the volume by more than 30%.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

BlackWinny wrote:I just discovered this thread yesterday and I'm reading all the history from the first page. I'm now at the page 35 at this point:...
Hi! I suggest you finish reading the thread. :hihi:

There's been lots of great ideas thrown around in this thread. 2 DaT just mentioned a day ago or so that this version of Obxd is feature complete. But he also mentioned the likelihood of a 2nd version in the future.

Personally, I'm finding working with Obxd's limitations is an exercise in resourcefulness. It forces you to find alternate ways of getting where you want to go; and yes, sometimes it's just impossible. But sometimes really wonderful things happen. One thing I find is that the stepping of the controls is limiting: sometimes a one value increment can make something sound very different; in general I'd love to see more resolution and smoother tapers in the next version. Fortunately, it's already flexible enough for some awesome explorations...

Return to “Instruments”