Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't have the SEM V, so I don't know what the default patch sounds like. Could you record a few notes and chords so we know what you are trying to emulate?

The OBXD is not really an emulation of the SEM module, and Arturia's emulation has many features that go beyond the SEM module. So it might simply be impossible to recreate SEM V patches on the OBXD...
You may download a trial, but only a few patches are available per session: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't have the SEM V, so I don't know what the default patch sounds like. Could you record a few notes and chords so we know what you are trying to emulate?

The OBXD is not really an emulation of the SEM module, and Arturia's emulation has many features that go beyond the SEM module. So it might simply be impossible to recreate SEM V patches on the OBXD...
You may download a trial, but only a few patches are available per session: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
I know, but frankly, I won't download anything anymore that requires e-Licenser and similar crap :P Else I would probably already have bought that synth...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Some people, like me, are simply utter individualists and hence not big fans of anything that smacks off teamwork...
Individuality is not tolerated here. You must be absorbed into the OBXD hive mind. Repeat our mantra over and over until you are one of us:

I think, therefore I VAM.

Actually it could be a good slogan for an OBXD t-shirt. :lol:

Frantz wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Some people, like me, are simply utter individualists and hence not big fans of anything that smacks off teamwork...
Individuality is not tolerated here. You must be absorbed into the OBXD hive mind. Repeat our mantra over and over until you are one of us:

I think, therefore I VAM.

Actually it could be a good slogan for an OBXD t-shirt. :lol:
Hehe :D

Like Obama, Yes we vam :ud:

Frantz wrote: I think, therefore I VAM.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
fmr wrote:

I know, but frankly, I won't download anything anymore that requires e-Licenser and similar crap :P Else I would probably already have bought that synth...
Got SEM V since it was released. Have not tried to reprogram patches to OBXD yet but maybe will have a try in the near future.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Got SEM V since it was released. Have not tried to reprogram patches to OBXD yet but maybe will have a try in the near future.

Ingo
Since he was talking about a brass patch, should not be that difficult :)

But we already have dozens of OBXD brass patches, hard to imagine none of them comes close to that SEM V patch...

I've listened to the radio for a change today, heard a number of modern songs, but none of them used any synth brass sounds, at least none that sounded anything like the OBXD. I guess it is an old-skool synth soundwise, in a good way.
Gee, I have to listen to good music from my hard drive now in order to clean my ears from that crap played on the radio these days :D

fluffy_little_something wrote:But we already have dozens of OBXD brass patches, hard to imagine none of them comes close to that SEM V patch...
That's very likely and why I'm curious. And the SEM V has chorus and delay, so it's a cheat! ;) Would the patch in question be like the first track in the demo of the sem v page?

BTW, Ingo, I just realized another reason not to mess with the number of voices: sometimes the panning of the voices and the serial consecutive differences in panning as the voices are played can contribute significantly to the effect of the sound. I've been having some fun with that. :D

Maybe the last patch under the Media tab, clearly with delay...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Got SEM V since it was released. Have not tried to reprogram patches to OBXD yet but maybe will have a try in the near future.

Ingo
Since he was talking about a brass patch, should not be that difficult :)

But we already have dozens of OBXD brass patches, hard to imagine none of them comes close to that SEM V patch...
Just had a look at th default patch in SEM V.

Besides indeed being a quite usual Brass patch Osc 2 is detund by around -7 semitones and 71 cents and the pitch of Osc 2 is also modulated by the filter envelope.
It not really simple to get the filter play correctly while at the same time using the same for the correct pitch modulation. Will have another look. Of course i deactivated the FXs in SEM V for the comparison.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

And the SEM has simpler envelopes to begin with, no ADSR...

fluffy_little_something wrote:And the SEM has simpler envelopes to begin with, no ADSR...
ADS to be precise (like the Minimoog). As the envelope is used for pitch modulation the filter sustain has to be used for pitch tuning. The end result (after ptch modulation) has only few detuning while without pitch modulation the sound is very much detuned.

Even if i not totally nailed that patch yet i already got something close but with a bigger effect of the pitch modulation. To get this right Osc pitch, piach modulation amount, filter envelope settings (especially Sustain level) and Cutoff amount must have the correct amounts.
It looks like the envelope pitch modulation amount in OBXD has a much bigger range than in SEM V.

UPDATE:
Here is a first approach of that default SEM V patch:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... s%20IW.fxp

This has a bigger pitch modulation range than the original sound but sounds quite interesting IMO. Besides that it seems to sound quite similar. The resulting pitch after the modulation was tuned with help of a Tuning plugin. While the original patch was monophonic i made it polyphonic.

While having a look at the patch collection i found a patch called "BzBRS Hyper Trumpet" from Breeze that does not sound identical but uses a comparable amount of envelope pitch modulation.

UPDATE:
This one should be close to that SEM V default patch (the attack maybe sounds a bit different):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... s%20IW.fxp

I'll keep both versions to include them in the collection.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

fluffy_little_something wrote:I guess it is an old-skool synth soundwise, in a good way.
Jexus (syntezatory.net.pl) is known for getting contemporary sounds from old (analog) hardware synths. Unfortunately he only did the OB-12 (as far as I could find).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mQDx5iAgjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i1ioIXatpo
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Had a OB-12 back in 2004/2005 and while it is VA and no real Oberheim (built by italian company Viscount) it was a quite nice synth wit ha huge amount of features includeing a graphical display.
Sound wise it was maybe not a real Oberheim but had it'S own sound that was quite nice.

As far as i remember they were sold for around 800 € when i got one.

This is one of the few synths i alrready owned that i considered to get again (like e.g. Jupiter 8, D-50 and Microwave XT).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:built by italian company Viscount
Wasn't Viscount also behind the Elka synths?

2dat should do a Synthex next :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”