Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Teksonik wrote:Once again the self elected KVR Police Chief and self appointed spokesperson for the KVR forums chimes in........ :lol:
Yup, ya better watch out for the sheriff in this neck o' da woods :wink:

2DaT wrote:because i dislike sonicprojects' vst. It lacks high frequencies and filter is unnatural. So i build new synth with good oscillators and filters, but its very hungry compared to other vst.
Of course you're free to dislike the plugin.

Just a few notes:

1. OP-X PRO-II is not at all just an emulation of the OB-X - maybe the very first OP-X was to some extent, but OP-X PRO-II has gone a long way from there offering multimode filters, many new modulation options etc. and has become a general purpose polyphonic analog synth which also tries to emulate other synths.

That's e.g. how it compares to a Roland Jupiter-8 with the right settings:

OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 34 MELLOW STRINGS
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 75 HORN FIFTH
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 76 HORN TRITONE
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 82 FLUTE
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 84 CELLO
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 21 CLAV
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 22 HARPSICHORD
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 38 SYNTH BRASS
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 35 LO BRASS
OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 33 HI STRINGS

2. Regarding brightness: Yes it's true that the earlier versions (OP-X and OP-X PRO) were more trimmed towards a warm sound rather than bright (OB-X indeed can be very bright), BUT in OP-X PRO-II there are two new filter modes (CLR and BRL) which allow the filter to open into the infra sound area to clone the brightness character of the OB-X if this is wished:

CLR = Clear
BRL = Brilliant

This is how OP-X PRO-II compares to an original OB-X Rev. 2 featuring the BRL (Brilliant) filter mode. I think it's pretty close:

OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Hi Sweep
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Lo Sweep
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Pmpad 1
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Pmpad 2
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Strings
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Bright Strings 1
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Bright Strings 2
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Brass
OP-X PRO-II Real OB-X Sync Solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlmrnAk0oHU

But as said, even if it can sound very close to an OB-X with the right settings OP-X PRO-II isn't designed at all to sound exactly like an OB-X at its standard setting since it's designed to cover a much wider area of classic analogue sounds than just cloning an OB-X. The OB-X was the main inspirator for the basic engine, but it has gone a far way since.

So I repeat once more: OP-X PRO-II is not simply an emulation of the OB-X, it's a general purpose polyphonic analogue synth in its current version. Of course you're free to do a straight OB-X clone if you like to.

---

Welcome to the forum.

Anyway, I don't see anything bad either in his first post. He did not said a bad thing about it. Just that he does not like it and therefore tries his own emulation. How many people started exactly that way? And he also said "why he does not like it". That's more than the most KVR members are capable of.

Heck, I will give it a try later this week.

Regrads,
Sebastian

Am i the only one who actually had tested this so far?
You could check my post at the first page.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

his wording could have been better but what he said is true imo : the op-x filter does not sound like the original nor even analog and without 0dff is hardly a surprise.
it has that plasticky sound of old dsp filters which comes out when modulating the filter with some resonance which i find offputting.
(just judging op-x and not op-xII which i never tried after the disappointment of o-x)
if you think op-x sounds like an ob-x skip this thread if not you better keep an eye on it.

returning to this freebee already with resonance up you get a more natural analog 12dbn filter sound .
at the present moment though the plugin is all bugged : the lfo shapes don't even switch , the loudness envelope has release in place of the sustain and the release doesn't do anything ...and a couple of more little issues which currently make it simply unusable.
also the GUI is not ideal not only in terms of looks but also in terms of functionality with values jumping from minimum to max if you're not careful.
but he did say the GUI and bugs will be fixed.
as a tech demo it is promising but long away from being a functional product to distribute, but i feel within a month or so this freebee will be a nice one.

olikana wrote:...and a couple of more little issues which currently make it simply unusable.
also the GUI is not ideal not only in terms of looks but also in terms of functionality with values jumping from minimum to max if you're not careful.
as a tech demo it is promising but long away from being a functional product to distribute, but i feel within a month or so this freebee will be a nice one.
Going from unusable to a full blown OBX emulation in a month. Are you serious? :lol:

olikana wrote: at the present moment though the plugin is all bugged : the lfo shapes don't even switch , the loudness envelope has release in place of the sustain and the release doesn't do anything ...and a couple of more little issues which currently make it simply unusable.
I agree about the current state of the plugin. Hope that it will get improved ASAP.
Not sure but maybe it would be good to invest time in a more usable GUI first.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Numanoid wrote:
olikana wrote:...and a couple of more little issues which currently make it simply unusable.
Going from unusable to a full blown OBX emulation in a month. Are you serious? :lol:

:hihi: good luck with that

Thanks everybody for feedback. They gui is really trash :D It was done for one day. But audio part is developing for a half year. All unstableness comes from gui. There is a big field of optimisations : multicore processing, code optimisations,c#->c++. Sadly I go on holiday tomorrow and plugin development will be freezed for 2 weeks. After this i will work hard on my plugin.

doesnt work at all in winxp sp3 x32 using savihost :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I really like OP-X Pro II, and don't feel a need to switch to some other OB-type synth, but wish you luck with yours. :)

rob_lee wrote:
2DaT wrote:Hi everyone. I am amateur developer of vst plugins , so dont be negative :)
I decided to build new ob-x vst emulation, because i dislike sonicprojects' vst. It lacks high frequencies and filter is unnatural.
Your an Amateur developer so don't be negative? First thing you did was make negative vibes about another developer...You for real? DUH!
no he didnt, he said the reason he made his vst was because he wasnt happy with the other one

seems reasonable to me

Kriminal wrote:
rob_lee wrote:
2DaT wrote:Hi everyone. I am amateur developer of vst plugins , so dont be negative :)
I decided to build new ob-x vst emulation, because i dislike sonicprojects' vst. It lacks high frequencies and filter is unnatural.
Your an Amateur developer so don't be negative? First thing you did was make negative vibes about another developer...You for real? DUH!
no he didnt, he said the reason he made his vst was because he wasnt happy with the other one

seems reasonable to me

+1

:lol: look at all the assholes who tried to make you feel shit instead of talking about the plugin.

dunno if this helps (from my dsp notes pdf)

hardsync:
phase2 = phase1 * increment2 / increment1;
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Is this thread a joke? What you utter about a synth that has been praised by many insiders as one of the best analog emulations made so far makes me think you don't have a clue what you are talking about. It sounds unnatural? What else do you expect of a synthesizer?! We are not talking bongos here :D

And frankly, I don't like those permanent references to 0df filters. Why don't we just throw all our plugins away that don't have 0df filters? :roll: In most scenarios one doesn't even hear the difference between a good 0df and a good non-0df filter.

Return to “Instruments”