Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:In line with my motto 'a patch a day makes you work, rest and play' here is my second patch, a Rhodes for the poor so to speak :hihi: Sounds nice through some reverb...

https://app.box.com/s/ucvtk4si8l0ckwnz5pjz
Nice one :-) I only edit little bit the Transpose to the default because I have a 25 keys only.

Oh, I subscribed to the box (free service) thanks to you. Well, these are the presets i did in the last week! (so you still faster with a preset per day) :hihi:

https://app.box.com/s/8tu1syb3mof2z78yahi7
https://app.box.com/s/kt10npstrqrpi07odko1
https://app.box.com/s/qclkpm2aplhfrt4zbal7
https://app.box.com/s/02ztjyje7mgy2whuwvx4

EnGee wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:In line with my motto 'a patch a day makes you work, rest and play' here is my second patch, a Rhodes for the poor so to speak :hihi: Sounds nice through some reverb...

https://app.box.com/s/ucvtk4si8l0ckwnz5pjz
Nice one :-) I only edit little bit the Transpose to the default because I have a 25 keys only.
I agree, but if you use the "Transpose" on the Obxd you'll change the sound because the transpose is implemented like on the original OBX and only affects the oscillators and not the filter tracking. So to hear the patch as designed, you have to transpose the MIDI data going to the Obxd.

It's really a question of functionality; for studio creative purposes it makes sense to keep it this way, but for live performance, it's annoying to have to stop and change the MIDI note data by octaves, or even semitone steps, from the controller or via track parameters when patches like this are encountered.

2DaT has spoken more than once in favor of this approach, so it's pretty much a dead horse now. :shrug:

Oh! So that!!
When I transposed with the keyboard it seemed nicer, but I told myself "don't be silly, it is just a transpose!". Thanks for the info and sorry FLS for changing your preset, i will reset it to its default setting :-)

loviin the analog FM with the "hidden" sines.
sounds good across all ranges and not much aliasing to be heard if any . maybe the FM is smooth enough to be added to the modulation section?.
here some FM bells/epiano sounds thrown together played randomly
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/503 ... sFest1.wav

EnGee wrote:Oh! So that!!
When I transposed with the keyboard it seemed nicer, but I told myself "don't be silly, it is just a transpose!". Thanks for the info and sorry FLS for changing your preset, i will reset it to its default setting :-)
Glad you like it. There are no copyrights on presets, so feel free to change it any way you want :tu:
By the way, how do you even play this or any piano on such a tiny keyboard? You should have at least 4 octaves for any piano. With 25 keys not even keyboard splitting can save you :hihi:

Hi,

this post is mostly for the sound designers that provided their patches so far (and upcoming ones).

due to another project that ends on the end of this week i am not as far with my OBXD patches like i wanted (around 20 now and maybe some more until tomorrow).

Anyway while i have not listened to all patches publiahed by other sound designers here i have tried to collect them all into folders with the corresponding names which are fmr (=Fernando), Breeze, fluffy little something (FLS), albertodream, EnGee and my own ones.

With Tobybear MiniHost and the included Preset mamger i have the opportunity to sort the patches into banks and also automatically create single patch files (*.fxp) from bank files (*.fxb). I have already done that for the banks of Breeze and albertodream. Also checked that it'S possible to sort both banks into one new one.

Until next week (maybe Monday or Tuesday) for those sound designers who agree i could create a ZIP file with all patches submitted so far, sorted into folders that inclde both the banks and another folder with single patches.
I could also sort the patches into a a new bank while the patches from Fenando already fill a full bank so no changes to that one. All other patches including my own currently fill another full bank so ther are at least 256 (or more) patches at the moment.

In a bank it's also possible to use a default preset and change it to the name of the sound designer and then the patches of this one follow. I could also include an Init bank and Init patch (have already saved those).

Please tell if you are interested in my offer and if you allow to include your patches.
If you like you could also contact me by PM.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I'm happy with the idea. Really like to see that OB-Xd will be released with a generous number of patches to start with (and I'm sure more will follow).
Fernando (FMR)

Hmm... I should put together a few patches for this...

Here's my patch for today, an electric bass. It is suitable for chord playing as well, but you might have to turn back the volume if you play chords. If you want more punch (Louis Johnson etc.), send it through a compressor. Tried it with KjaerhusAudio's free Classic Compressor that came with my DAW, sounds pretty funky with the Bass Guitar (not Bass Attack) preset.

https://app.box.com/s/9plkznxp0jsi03cmxchr

Ingonator wrote: Please tell if you are interested in my offer and if you allow to include your patches.
Of course, you can use my patches as you want :tu:

But I like the sound of the OBXD so much that probably I would end making a full bank of 128 new patches :D

Breeze wrote:I just took a look at what I posted and there are some patches wrong, some names wrong and some I'm not happy with in retrospect, so please be advised that there will be a revision... as soon as I have a bit more time! ;)
OK:the first revision of my bank is posted. It's the same URL and file name as before, but decompressed it says "rev1" in the name.

Thanks to the other contributors for their patches! There's a lot of good stuff all around. What's really nice is tweaking a patch so it sounds good on it's own and THEN adding effects: too often effects are used to disguise or enhance stuff that otherwise doesn't hold up.
Ingonator wrote:Please tell if you are interested in my offer and if you allow to include your patches.

Ingo
Thanks Ingo. Please erase what you have of mine already and redownload my patch bank as a lot of minor things have changed. I've PM'ed you.
Last edited by Breeze on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EnGee wrote:Oh! So that!!
Glad you like it. There are no copyrights on presets, so feel free to change it any way you want :tu:
By the way, how do you even play this or any piano on such a tiny keyboard? You should have at least 4 octaves for any piano. With 25 keys not even keyboard splitting can save you :hihi:
I had a very nice setup (a desktop, big screen, edirol keys, and 5" monitors ..etc) I did in Japan, but then I left everything (including my ex!) then I was in the move for two years, I promised myself to only buy "portable" things, so I bought this mpk mini one while I was in UK and stayed with me. Now, I need to stop buying soft synths so I can save for a keys! (I already have it in my mind, the Roland A49 white colour!).

Back to the topic!
Ingonator wrote:
Please tell if you are interested in my offer and if you allow to include your patches.

Ingo
Very nice idea :tu: Of course I'll be more than glad if someone could have any use of my presets :-)

@2DaT:
2DaT wrote:
- When playing fast and busy notes or chords, there are occasional "blips" in the sound. I don't know what it is, but it shouldn't be happening. If it is voice stealing, it should be a quiet process.
Can you post an example? Is it connected to velocity ? If so, i have bugfix coming. :)
It's weird, but good news: I haven't been able to repro this. Seems ok! Will let you know if it pops up again...

Also: outside of bugfixes, are we looking at the final version of Obxd? I'd like to set up a fixed automation map for it. TIA.

Looks like it uses about 15% of my CPU when I don't play any note. Most (all?) other softsynth I have use next to nothing when they are idle. Is that a known issue or is it just happening to me?

Apart from that, it is superb, thanks for that great freebie 2Dat. :tu:

eidenk wrote:Looks like it uses about 15% of my CPU when I don't play any note. Most (all?) other softsynth I have use next to nothing when they are idle. Is that a known issue or is it just happening to me?

Apart from that, it is superb, thanks for that great freebie 2Dat. :tu:
I am not so sure. Initially I used it mainly in Mulab, same thing, 15 to 20% in idle mode. But in Mixcraft, Mixcraft plus one idle instance plus Chrome with two tabs are just 4%, despite having switched from a 44k (Mulab) to a 96k (Mixcraft) sample rate. Seems to depend a lot on the DAW. Check the meters in Windows Task Manager, they are more reliable.

Return to “Instruments”