Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

freemobil wrote:I am a GUI designer too, and i like the OBXD-GUI. Btw i have tested the OBXD preview version. It have a really good sound. :clap: My idea for a funny inspiration system was to create a simple step sequencer. Now i have design`t a first preview GUI of this. What do you thing about this idea? Greeting from Germany
Pretty nice :tu:

But the buttons look a little bit like hanging in the air...

Could you add some sort of texture to the blue background to make it appear like it is solid, for instance give it a shine of brushed aluminium?: https://www.google.no/search?q=brushed+ ... background

Kriminal wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Your gui is the worst of all the options ive seen so far..
What options ? Link ? You've got Knobman/Skinman....try and do better...... :shrug:
2 other ppl have put up alternatives, do a search. i offered to do it originally but the dev couldnt finalise all controls in the window i had spare time.
I did a search but didn't find any full options.....didn't go through every page of the thread...that's why I asked since you obviously know where they are......

Anybody in the market for a real OB-Xa ?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/4281950038.html

Not mine but I'd love to own it just for giggles..........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think Layzer's GUI looks really good! And as mentioned before, it's certainly good enough to get the job done, and that's the real point, right. Although I still wish the FLT label could be streeeetched on out to FILTER, especially since so many other 6 letter words (volume, unison, legato, voices, cutoff, and even some 7 and 9 letters words!!! :o ) got the royal treatment. I guess that's just a facet that will have to annoy me till the end of time! And BTW, Oberheim didn't abbreviate FILTER anywhere on the OB-X, so there! :)

Other tiny mentions on the GUI, is the lack of 12 o'clock position markers on the knobs. Looks kind of cool from a graphical standpoint, but lacks on the functionality front, IMHO. And on tools, function beats form every time. Maybe the originals looked this way, but then I never understood the concept of repeating mistakes for sake of "emulations". Heck, I really like numerical markers on knobs or panels, but I guess that ship has sailed.

The typefaces make little difference on the vsti, I suppose, but for the record, on the original Oberheim panels the OB-X logo was capped Friz Quadrata, and the knobs, switches, and sections were capped Handel Gothic (note the E and S). But Layzer's logo is fine as it is! (PAK used something similar to FrizQ, but let his type extend beyond the vertical bounds of the boxes below, so he'll have to smoke a turd in hell for that design gaffe!) :)

Can't wait to see this beauty get all wrapped up and ready for full-on music production! Should be sweet!

Oh, and Freemobil, I think your sequencer idea is fantastic! Nice GUI too! Maybe someday. We can always dream!

Thanks 2Dat, Layzer, and the many Confounders for all their bicker... er, I mean, helpful assistance. Design by committee often rolls down a rocky road!

All the best!

(edited for snarkiness)
Last edited by SciFiArtMan on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SciFiArtMan wrote:Other tiny mentions on the GUI, is the lack of 12 o'clock position markers on the knobs.

Yes - I find this extremely weird as well. Especially because on the real OBX, there's no 12 o'clock marker because the parameter name is there. This is not the case in layzer's GUI, the parameter names are BELOW the knob, so he should reinstate the 12 o'clock markers on knobs! :)

EvilDragon wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote:Other tiny mentions on the GUI, is the lack of 12 o'clock position markers on the knobs.

Yes - I find this extremely weird as well. Especially because on the real OBX, there's no 12 o'clock marker because the parameter name is there. This is not the case in layzer's GUI, the parameter names are BELOW the knob, so he should reinstate the 12 o'clock markers on knobs! :)
WHAT? That is not going to be addressed? I thought it was discussed already... A big plus on 12 o'clock markers on knobs!
Fernando (FMR)

freemobil wrote:I am a GUI designer too, and i like the OBXD-GUI. Btw i have tested the OBXD preview version. It have a really good sound. :clap: My idea for a funny inspiration system was to create a simple step sequencer. Now i have design`t a first preview GUI of this. What do you thing about this idea? Greeting from Germany
OBVS.jpg

looks great, but like dragon said, the 3pos switches would fit the scheme better with simple round black tops and rounded corner slots. good job! :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fmr wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

WHAT? That is not going to be addressed? I thought it was discussed already... A big plus on 12 o'clock markers on knobs!
i know, guys. i know... 2D has had plenty of opertunity to address this in the many revisions of the gui i have sent him...last one being the 6th. his last reply was "it is ok"
its his call :shrug:

Who would've thought it?
:hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Who would've thought it?
:hihi:
Yeah...It's sad. Can anyone on this forum please be happy with what you get for free instead of always wanting more?? Many of you are just like spoiled children. :?
[Insert Signature Here]

Hm, i thought this was about improving the GUI, to make it work great. I'm sure layzer and 2Dat want the GUI to be as good as possible, so. :) Some great input here imo.

chk071 wrote:Hm, i thought this was about improving the GUI, to make it work great. I'm sure layzer and 2Dat want the GUI to be as good as possible, so. :) Some great input here imo.
I think once the conversation devolved into the importance of having a 12 o'clock knob indicator (that does and means nothing) that there's a fair argument to be made that we're now in the nitpick zone.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I think once the conversation devolved into the importance of having a 12 o'clock knob indicator (that does and means nothing) that there's a fair argument to be made that we're now in the nitpick zone.
I think Dux would agree with me that we've been swerving in and out of the Nitpick Zone more and more frequently as we've been careening towards the finish line... ;)

"...You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Nitpick Zone! "

Breeze wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I think once the conversation devolved into the importance of having a 12 o'clock knob indicator (that does and means nothing) that there's a fair argument to be made that we're now in the nitpick zone.
I think Dux would agree with me that we've been swerving in and out of the Nitpick Zone more and more frequently as we've been careening towards the finish line... ;)

"...You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Nitpick Zone! "
I wonder how much, if any, of these changes will even get implemented. I thought the GUI was final a few pages back. Either way, I'd just like it to get done. At some point you just have to stop instead of endlessly tweaking. There's definitely the rule of diminishing returns in effect here.

http://s21.postimg.org/9x8sa5sgn/OBXD.png

this is the last gui rev. any changes to this will be his own. :borg:

layzer wrote:Image

http://s27.postimg.org/bu3nr3cwj/OBXD.png

this is the last gui rev. any changes to this will be his own. :borg:
Thanks Layzer (and 2DAT, of course!). Looks great! It'll be a real pleasure using a synth with such a clean and functional layout! Can't wait!

Return to “Instruments”