Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

layzer wrote:this is the last gui rev. any changes to this will be his own. :borg:
Label changes: FILTER and 24dB. :tu:

Hopefully the peanut gallery will be happy. :)

layzer wrote:Image

http://s21.postimg.org/9x8sa5sgn/OBXD.png

this is the last gui rev. any changes to this will be his own. :borg:
Nitpicking or not, the current scale on the rotaries is simply wrong from a graphical design perspective, as the spacing between the top two scale-points is bigger then the spacing between the other points.

I don't say it needs a 12'o-clock marker, but the overall spacing is plain wrong and should be adjusted. Currently this is clearly a fault in the current design.

Just pointing out a small mistake :shrug:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:Just pointing out a small mistake :shrug:

Frantz wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:Just pointing out a small mistake :shrug:
Hmmmm, I'm following this topic from the start, can you point out where it was discussed that the spacing on the dials is wrong (not about the 12'o-clock mark) :?

I totally like the current design, only this little thing (which is pretty easy to fix) will make the difference between a very amateurish design and a professional design: the overall design look totally pro to me, the fault in the knob scales takes that down completely.

It's pretty safe to predict that if this is going to stand, it will be discussed in length on forums long AFTER the plugin gets released. So the obvious thing is to fix that before the release.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
layzer wrote:Image

http://s21.postimg.org/9x8sa5sgn/OBXD.png

this is the last gui rev. any changes to this will be his own. :borg:
Nitpicking or not, the current scale on the rotaries is simply wrong from a graphical design perspective, as the spacing between the top two scale-points is bigger then the spacing between the other points.

I don't say it needs a 12'o-clock marker, but the overall spacing is plain wrong and should be adjusted. Currently this is clearly a fault in the current design.

Just pointing out a small mistake :shrug:
http://s23.postimg.org/k21gzubzf/points.png

if you are talking about the dot spacing, i suggest you check the pixel spacing of your monitor because a simple transparency test of the knob flipped upsidedown on top of itself clearly reveals exact spacing.
Last edited by layzer on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Looking at it some more, it's even worse then just 'different spacing', as the space on top is the EXACT same as the space at the bottom, where at the bottom this space shows where the rotary starts and ends. Having the exact same space at the top is is not only wrong graphically but also ergonomically as it confuses the rotary action.

layzer wrote:if you are talking about the dot spacing, i suggest you check the pixel spacing of your monitor because a simple transpancy test of the knob flipped upsidedown on top of itself clearly reveals exact spacing.
You clearly didn't understand what I was pointing at, which explains why you didn't fix it yourself already. Read my last post above, maybe that will point it out to you.

To make it even more clear: your example of flipping the image actually points to the problem. The rotary does not have a continuous scale but has two separate scales, one at the left side and one at the right side of the rotary. The fact that you can flip it upside down without changing is the exact problem !

EDIT: I now understand that the 12'o-clock mark discussion was about this. I previously thought that they meant a 'specific marker' at twelve o-clock. So it either need a marker there, or the markers need to be spaced evenly around the full travel of the knob.

lmfao. omfg, oberheim better fix that on every OBX they ever made. shame on them!

crimsonwarlock wrote:Looking at it some more, it's even worse then just 'different spacing', as the space on top is the EXACT same as the space at the bottom, where at the bottom this space shows where the rotary starts and ends. Having the exact same space at the top is is not only wrong graphically but also ergonomically as it confuses the rotary action.
That is how it is on the Original OB-X

Its cleary not a copy, as it looks nothing like an obx.

such an arrogant idiot who cannot take any tips...

Its wrong, it looks wrong, fix it.

Somehow I got sucked into this discussion. :dog:

We all know the dots are missing at 12 and 6 o'clock. However, as far as I can see, the dots at 11 and 1 o'clock are perfectly spaced out. So I'm not sure what you are saying crimsonwarlock.

This is Layzer's knob blown up and superimposed over a clock. I added the green lines to make it extra clear.

The clock came from here: http://www.dmitryvolokhov.info/wp-conte ... arrows.jpg
Last edited by Frantz on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frantz wrote:Somehow I got sucked into this discussion. :dog:

We all know the dots are missing at 12 and 6 o'clock. However, as far as I can see, the dots at 11 and 1 o'clock are perfectly spaced out. So I'm not sure what you are saying crimsonwarlock.

This is Layzer's knob blown up and superimposed over a clock. I added the green lines to make it extra clear.

As you can see, the space between 11 & 1 is diff to the rest.

looks plain wrong. I dont care how the obx looks. If its the same, it looks wrong too. as this gui is not a copy, it makes sense to get it right

Still, its just an amateur effort for free, so i guess you cant expect perfection.

Kriminal wrote:As you can see, the space between 11 & 1 is diff to the rest.
I'm not following you. I drew the green lines from 11 to 5 and 1 to 7. The lines hit Layzer's dots on the 11 and 1 just as they should have.

Frantz wrote:Somehow I got sucked into this discussion. :dog:

The dot is NOT missing at 6 o'clock, as a potentiometer can not rotate 360 degrees. So there is a gap at the bottom that shows the start (left of the bottom) and the end (right of the bottom) of the potentiometer travel.

In the current design it looks like there is a similar 'break' in the potentiometer travel at the top of the scale. However, scales are 'normally' continuous around the travel of the potentiometers. In the case of the REAL Oberheim front-panel, the top dot is left out to make space for the label, so it looks totally different from the GUI design here.

So, not having the label on top, now opens up a space in the knob scale that is simply wrong. Oberheim didn't do it wrong, they had a reason for the absence of that dot. That reason is not in the current GUI design, so now it is wrong and should be fixed.

Return to “Instruments”