Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Frantz wrote:
PAK wrote:Image
It seems like your section grouping was inspired by a "Hello My Name is" label: :)

:hihi: :hihi: you forgot to write obxd on the nametag :dog:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Actually on a real OB-X [well on Jupiter-8, 808, 909, 303, 606...] the LED turns on as soon as you press the button and turns off as soon as you press the button. Release does nothing, I mean release just leaves it as it is in the pressed state.

So, when you press it with the LED off, the LED should light up and you can release it any time, the LED should stay turned on.

When you press it with the LED on, the LED should turn off immediately and you can release it later but the LED should stay turned off.

Simple. :D
Last edited by DuX on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Frantz wrote:It seems like your section grouping was inspired by a "Hello My Name is" label: :)
Hehe. I was thinking more Roland SH-7, but that is pretty close :D

The problem some might have, with Layzers GUI, is depending on the brightness level and gamma curve of the monitor, some elements don't have a lot of contrast and tend to blend together and look a bit dark. Plus there's the pretty cheesy 80's logo, which I guess some people like (kinda like someone born in the 90's idea of the 80's maybe.. :) ) Synth wise, the OB-X was more a product born of the late 70's rather than the 80's.. But I guess culturally it's more identified with the early 80's and people like Prince etc.
fluffy_little_something wrote:The forth button is ugly, looks like a strong light is shining on cheap plastic.
Probably because that's what it was.. a photo of a real plastic OB-X button ;) I didn't like any, except for the 1st button, personally. :)

DuX wrote:Actually on a real OB-X [well on Jupiter-8, 808, 909, 303, 606...] the LED turns on as soon as you press the button and turns off as soon as you press the button. Release does nothing, I mean release just leaves it as it is in the pressed state.
well this would require a strip with 4 frames to animate a botton going from off to on in that fashon....

frame 1 - button released led off
frame 2 - button pressed led on
frame 3 - button released led on
frame 4 - button pressed led off

correct?

DuX wrote:Actually on a real OB-X [well on Jupiter-8, 808, 909, 303, 606...] the LED turns on as soon as you press the button and turns off as soon as you press the button. Release does nothing, I mean release just leaves it as it is in the pressed state.

So, when you press it with the LED off, the LED should light up and you can release it any time, the LED should stay turned on.

When you press it with the LED on, the LED should turn off immediately and you can release it later but the LED should stay turned off.

Simple. :D

Hmmm... This made me actually check this with an actual OBX owner. He confirms what you say here.

So, layzer, my bad - sorry! :help:

PAK wrote:[The problem some might have, with Layzers GUI, is depending on the brightness level and gamma curve of the monitor, some elements don't have a lot of contrast and tend to blend together and look a bit dark. Plus there's the pretty cheesy 80's logo
the problem is you, dude. PAK it up and go troll somewhere else. my gui is perfect as Teksonic stated... my OBXD gui is not my gui but kvr's OBXD gui. because it was shaped and formed by multiple asthetic critical kvr members.

Exactly, Layzer. :D

Or rather:

frame 1 - button pressed led on
frame 2 - button released led on
frame 3 - button pressed led off
frame 4 - button released led off

I've been doing some GUI work 10 years or so ago... for Litestep Windows replacement shell. Better looking Windows GUI and faster than Microsoft will ever be able to make.
Last edited by DuX on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

layzer wrote:
well this would require a strip with 4 frames to animate a botton going from off to on in that fashon....

correct?
Button animation? What for ? I think 2 button states are fine. No moving elements = less distraction from music making :D .

Knobs are moving elements, too... So why not allow buttons to have pressed states as well? :)

I just realised that D16 made it wrong in their Drumazon GUI. The LED turns on when you release the button. I have never noticed it before...

Also, Full Bucket Mono/Fury doesn't have the pressed button states and I use it just fine. I've never noticed there were no pressed button states. I think it's your call 2DaT and Layzer. :D

For as long as the synth is not 20MB of bitmaps and 200KB of DSP like many of these "modern beasts" [that I avoid like a plague and save some money along the way] I don't mind. :lol: I grew up with simple and rather hard synths to program... GUI was never an issue, only sound.
Last edited by DuX on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With real buttons the thing is, they have to travel all the way down to the turning i.e. contact point in order to effect the switching and the light to change. That travel is indicated by the different borders with software buttons. The time the travel takes corresponds to the time between the border changes.
However, one can't easily copy hardware button behavior in software as in reality the travel corresponds to a lot of different border states and a turning point.

Currently when switching a button on, the LED seems to become lit right at the beginning of the downward travel, rather than at the turning point at the end of the downward travel of the button. I guess if one played the animated button in slow motion, one would see it clearly.

But really, it looks great the way it is :) The GUI is better than with most commercial synths out there :) I continue to think it would be better not to use animated buttons as clicking is immediate on or off compared to simulating real buttons.

layzer wrote:the problem is you, dude.
If you think the brightness level of your buttons and knobs is fine on your monitor, and many other peoples, that's because it is. But it's sufficiently dark that it won't be the case on some monitors, including mine, because I like to run them at low brightness to minimize eye-strain.

The fact that you'd choose to see that as some sort of personal attack on your wonderful artistic abilities doesn't change that, and that was part of the reason I did my own mock up. I haven't actually used the plugin since before Christmas, and probably won't at all once there's a 64-bit version of OP-X, so it was motivated more out of my own fondness for the OB-X, plus the fact that I found a pretty cool button/knob creation util, and was having some fun messing about with that.. ;)

So chill out. It's all going to be ok. :party:
my gui is perfect
Great. I'm glad you think so.. But I'll step out of this thread now, given your attitude, :tu:

DuX wrote:I just realised that D16 made it wrong in their Drumazon GUI. The LED turns on when you release the button. I have never noticed it before...

Also, Full Bucket Mono/Fury doesn't have the pressed button states and I use it just fine. I've never noticed there were no pressed button states. I think it's your call 2DaT and Layzer. :D

For as long as the synth is not 20MB of bitmaps and 200KB of DSP like many of these "modern beasts" [that I avoid like a plague and save some money along the way] I don't mind. :lol: I grew up with simple and rather hard synths to program... GUI was never an issue, only sound.
I think obxd is even less :D There is <1000 lines of dsp code. Not that much.

PAK wrote:
layzer wrote:the problem is you, dude.
If you think the brightness level of your buttons and knobs is fine on your monitor
layzer wrote: my gui is perfect
Great. I'm glad you think so
ummm multiple peoples monitors. and its perfect because the consultants think so. repeat it with me, i'll say it slowly....the consultants think so.
Last edited by layzer on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not "perfect" (nothing ever is - that's why I never use that word) - it's good enough. :)

At least this consultant feels that way. :)

Return to “Instruments”