Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:Didn't he say weeks ago that he wanted to finish this thing off asap? He probably has more important things to do, especially since it is just freeware, anyway.
I'm hoping one of those things is porting it to OS X. Sitting here patiently waiting for this.

sprnva wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Didn't he say weeks ago that he wanted to finish this thing off asap? He probably has more important things to do, especially since it is just freeware, anyway.
I'm hoping one of those things is porting it to OS X. Sitting here patiently waiting for this.
For Oberheim fans the choice is indeed very limited, the OP-X Pro is also Windows-only. The next best thing might be Arturia's SEM, which can sound very similar to Oberheim's poly synths due to its enhancements over the original SEM module. But it is not free of course...

Frantz wrote:If someone can work out a general algorithm for converting the patches...
There might be a way to calc it, but only 2DaT could do it because the Obxd is designed with random osc detuning so you can't figure it out precisely by ear without turning that off. And the more Spread there is, the more difficult it gets.

From my experience so far adapting my bank to the newer version, there's no predictable way to do it than by ear. Any offsets that work for one patch don't necessarily work for another. But the good news is that so far it's possible to get the same result, as 2DaT said.

Is there a link to the patch collection ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Is there a link to the patch collection ?
4th post on page 78 is v1.02 of the patches.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Ingonator wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Hi,

many thanks for your patches. I just updates the patches collection with all patches posted here so far and added your bank and the latest patch of Fluffy. Please tell if you don't want your patches to be included with this collection.
Now that i know how to do it the update took less than 15 minutes. Most of the following text is copied from the first version:

I have also created single patch files for all patches in bank files (created automatically with the Preset Manager in Tobybear MiniHost) and sorted all patches in banks in corresponding folders with the name of the sound designers.
Except the OB-Xa and Kujashi banks which are already full 128 patches i had sorted all patches into two new bank files (current total patch number : 390)

download link for the ZIP file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0v1.02.zip

This includes patches of Fernando, Breeze, albertodreams, Kujashi, Ingo Weidner (myself), Fluffy Little Something and EmGee (each with their own folder with bank and single patch files).
There is also a folder called "All single patches" which includes all patch files (390 at the moment).

The "root" folder contains 6 files:
- OBXD Init bank.fxb : Init bank
- OBXD Init patch.fxp : Init/default patch
- OB-Xa Patch Book.fxb : Fernando's bank with OB-Xa patches
- Kujashi-OBXD-Bank_Full : Jijashi's full 128 patches bank
- OBXD - KVR Community Bank - Part 1.fxb : First part of other patches sorted into a bank
- OBXD - KVR Community Bank - Part 2.fxb : Second part of other patches sorted into a bank

In the community Bank files the patches of each sound designer start with a default patch renamed with the name of teh sound designer (starting with "***").

Due to future updates the name of the ZIP file includes a version number (now v1.02).

Most patches have been done with an older version of OBXD than the new one. 2DaT has added the older version to the OP.

Hint:
For Strings sounds i recommend using a Chorus FX like e.g. the free TAL Chorus-LX. I have also checked Polsyix Ensemble (from Korg MDE-X plugin), ERS Dimsension D Chorus and the Schwa Oligarc Chorus which all deliver nice results too (while i like the Polysix one a lot).
UPDATE:

I am finished sorting patches by category so here is the next update (v1.03):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0v1.03.zip

This includes a new folder called "Sorted By Category" which includes folder named by the categories (those include the single patch files) and 4 new bank files with the patches sorted by categories.

The categories and the number of patches (sorted by amount) are:
Pads : 66, Leads : 57, Synths : 47, Keys : 46, Brass : 45, Bass : 37, Strings : 29, Drums + Percussion : 22, Plucked : 15, SFXs : 12, Bells : 10, Vocalic : 7

Overall number of patches : 391

Several patches that seem to be a mix of pad, polysynth and lead are located in the "Synths" category. Of cousre sorting into a category is not always a simple task so usually this represents the expected main use of the patches (while with others the categories are more obvious).

For those patches who are intended to be Basses or Leads it would be better to reduce the voices to 1. Most patches seem to use the full 8 voices (while mine are mostly limited to 6 voices to save some CPU).

Have fun,
Ingo
Bump

THanks for the Bump. :)

The latest version with the banks sorted by category is v1.03.

Currently playing with al patches and trying to reduce the volume of some of the very loud patches.

Still not compared my patches in the old and new version so maybe will have to update some of them if necessary. While i use the latest version i have not notoced anything obvious with my patches so far.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Currently playing with al patches and trying to reduce the volume of some of the very loud patches.
Another thing worth re-examining is tuning. Using a tuner VST I'm finding that many of my patches need correcting.
Ingonator wrote:Still not compared my patches in the old and new version so maybe will have to update some of them if necessary. While i use the latest version i have not notoced anything obvious with my patches so far.
Well you're lucky then! I'm still not sure about the detuning/spread behaviour of the newer version.

For one thing, technically you simply can't get the same max detuning of OSC2 in the new version because when you add the max detune + spread in the older version you can detune OSC2 by as much as 2 semitones sharp while in the new version it's half that. So there is a reproducible difference.

And practically, with some patches I'm having a hell of a time getting the same detuned quality in both versions. I think I should start creating some new patches with the new version and see how that goes...

Breeze wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Currently playing with al patches and trying to reduce the volume of some of the very loud patches.
Another thing worth re-examining is tuning. Using a tuner VST I'm finding that many of my patches need correcting.
Yep, had done that too with my latest update (included with v1.03 of the collection).
Using the "Step" button helps with that.

I am using this free tool for tuning since a long time:
http://tuneit.free.fr/Site/Home.html

BTW I started to compare my patches with the new and previous version.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

2Dat: will any changes between now and the final release break patch compatibility? Are any additional feature changes even being worked on or are you just looking to fix bugs? Is there any chance of a Mac version?

Figured someone should just ask you some of these questions directly.

Ingonator wrote:I am using this free tool for tuning since a long time:
http://tuneit.free.fr/Site/Home.html
Nice find, Ingo. That's actually an excellent little tuner. Thanks!

Thanks for the preset updates Ingo :tu:

Somehow I get the impression that the whole preset thingy is getting out of hand 8)
Sooner or later the OBXD will get its own product page like any other plugin where anyone can dump their patches, and remove/update them if necessary...

Like for instance here for Charlatan:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/charlat ... /downloads
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesome synth !!! Image

Might I ask how we are to load the FXB file into the synth? :)

evilplazma wrote: Might I ask how we are to load the FXB file into the synth? :)
Usually you DAW/host should have a feature to load/save them (like in Live 9 in my case). Which DAW/host are you using?

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”