Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

BlackWinny wrote:I'd like to make a suggestion for a function which could be very useful for the reproduction of woodwind-like sounds (maybe it's done now at the present state of the synth). And it is a function which is sadly rarely implemented despite the fact that it is yet very useful for that kind of sounds AND probably very easy to implement: an ADSR (or an AR) envelope for the noise source (and triggered exactly as the amp envelope to avoid oddities in legato/portamento). When we synthesize woodwind sounds it is very often a function which is lacking... yet it is a predominant part of the reproduction of the envelope of these sounds. It is also very useful for the reproduction of the short beginning of the life of unnumerous other sounds.

Could it be possible to add this to OBXD, 2DaT?
While I understand what you mean (in fact I suggested the very same feature to another developer some time ago and he did include it in his updated synth), I think this feature is too specific for this synth, which is rather basic. I think there are more important things still missing or to be improved...

Content of this post deleted as it was nonsense (had forgotten about the display drop-down menu) :hihi:
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:While I understand what you mean (in fact I suggested the very same feature to another developer some time ago and he did include it in his updated synth), I think this feature is too specific for this synth, which is rather basic. I think there are more important things still missing or to be improved...
I agree with FLS. There are things more straightforward that would mean a bigger leap. Gradual key follow is one. Inverted envelopes is another. Envelope modulation of PWM is another. LFO start delay (maybe with a ramp) is another. And there are a few modulaton possibilities present in OB-8 that I would love to see included in this synth (since it is being more and more assumed as an hybrid of the entire OB series).

I will read the manual and post the details later (maybe 2Dat can consider these improvemens for version 2.0) :)
Fernando (FMR)

Hello Breeze and everyone!
Breeze wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:I just discovered this thread yesterday and I'm reading all the history from the first page. I'm now at the page 35 at this point:...
Hi! I suggest you finish reading the thread. :hihi:

There's been lots of great ideas thrown around in this thread. 2 DaT just mentioned a day ago or so that this version of Obxd is feature complete. But he also mentioned the likelihood of a 2nd version in the future.

Personally, I'm finding working with Obxd's limitations is an exercise in resourcefulness. It forces you to find alternate ways of getting where you want to go; and yes, sometimes it's just impossible. But sometimes really wonderful things happen. One thing I find is that the stepping of the controls is limiting: sometimes a one value increment can make something sound very different; in general I'd love to see more resolution and smoother tapers in the next version. Fortunately, it's already flexible enough for some awesome explorations...
I totally agree with you.

And... whoah... 91 pages! A long, long, long run to catch up with the front!
Sometimes I need to extend my legs, sit down and have a rest with a cup of tea (I'm not beer drinker in winter)...

It is a great success, this synth, to arouse such enthusiasm and interest! Wonderful job, 2DaT!
:clap:

(now I get back to page 36, I want to appreciate quietly all the evolution until the front without leapfrogging)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

fluffy_little_something wrote:While I understand what you mean (in fact I suggested the very same feature to another developer some time ago and he did include it in his updated synth), I think this feature is too specific for this synth, which is rather basic. I think there are more important things still missing or to be improved...
Yes. It was just a suggestion :wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

fluffy_little_something wrote:My fifth and probably final patch, a digital kind of bass, I guess the DX7 had similar ones...
https://app.box.com/s/w33a0p9t7svokwhtm3xe

Oddly, after loading I have to play the bass for a minute or so until it sounds the way it should. As if the plugin had to warm up or something :D Initially it is also too loud. Or maybe it is a DAW bug, no idea...
Switching the Unison button on and off a couple of times while playing also seems to reduce the time it takes to make it sound the way it should. Weird...
Since I had forgotten about the retrigger option from the display yesterday ( :oops: ), I have just changed the bass patch (the link is still the same), but also the sound as such as I did not like it so much on the headphones :phones: I guess it sounds cleaner now, more like cucumber :D

Just a question about the thread:

Sometimes in the posts, one or another one relates to "the other thread".

I haven't found this "other thread" about this excellent synth. Probably that I haven't looked everywhere with enough attention... Someone could help me to get it?

Thanks in advance!

I guess they are referring to the preliminary thread when KVR was undergoing its major message board software update for weeks :roll:
Everything that was written during those weeks is lost...

Ah ok. Thank you Fluffy!

fluffy_little_something wrote:Everything that was written during those weeks is lost...
Such a terrible loss, on par with the fire in the Alexandrian library no doubt :D

Alas. Who said years ago that "everything which is written on the web is set in stone for eternity"?
:D

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Everything that was written during those weeks is lost...
Such a terrible loss, on par with the fire in the Alexandrian library no doubt :D
Oh, wait , we made a copy. :D

Code: Select all

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OFpYhgbJOdcJ:www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php

2DaT wrote: @idfpower :
Is it happens with other hungry synths e.g. Diva ?
Yes, but in a different way: CPU hogs usually drive my DAW into digital clipping. In OBXD's case, is more like a continuous cracking sound. I've experienced the same type of behaviour with a couple of other synths (most recently with SynthMaster Player - in Draft mode) and some were not even sucking all the CPU up, so I guess there's something in the codes of those plugins that don't click well with my version of FL Studio - do take notice this is an older version (9), not the current FL. So this might occure on ancient computers such as mine, most ppl with more up to date machines won't face such issues :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Here is the link to my revised bank. Hope that the volumes are OK. When I play, sometimes the audio meters jump, but I lowered the volumes in all the patches to acomodate enough headroom to not clipping (and I usually play with heavy weight, because of the piano training).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuhgswn63mifg ... 20Book.fxb
I have other patches, but will make them available later :)
Fernando (FMR)

2DaT wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Oh, wait , we made a copy. :D

Code: Select all

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OFpYhgbJOdcJ:www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php
Great! Once more... Thank you 2DaT!

Even if it is only a part of the lost posts (most of the pictures were not cached by Google and also I can see at the bottom of the page that there were three pages but these links doesn't work) at least it is a good lecture.

:tu:

Return to “Instruments”