Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fmr wrote: This is a blind shot, but nevertheless, you mat try it, since everything else failed. I understood from past posts that you are in an italian version of the OS, therefore, your directory isn't called "Documents" but "Documenti".

Please try to create ANOTHER folder in the same tree level, called "Documents", so that the path will look like this: C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins (NOTICE "Documents" and not "Documenti").

Maybe OB-Xd is looking in an absolute patch, an not in a path relative to the local language.
The path i used is c:\Users\dario\Documents\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins.
Folder Documents is the default folder than the installation of Windows 10 created for my user ("dario"), and assigned to the Documents folder.
Unfortunately the Italian installation of Windows 10 creates also an alias for folder(s) Documents, which is infact "Documenti", so if i browse with the classical Windows Explorer tool, that folder is shown as "Documenti". But if i type the path c:\Users\dario\Documents, the folder that it opens is my documents folder, in which i can of course find the "discoDSP" folder we are talking about.
Being that under dario\ there is already a Documents folder, i cannot create another (it gives me back an error that says something like "Hey Dario, fool, there is already a folder named Documents, you cannot create another, whatcha think?!"
I wonder if my problem is that i have an Italian installation (therefore the alias for Documents folder is not "Documents" or "My Documents", but, in fact, "Documenti". Could it be this the problem?

fmr wrote:
darix wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Are you sure you're not missing the discoDSP part of the path? The prior version didn't require it.
(...)
Positive!
This is a blind shot, but nevertheless, you mat try it, since everything else failed. I understood from past posts that you are in an italian version of the OS, therefore, your directory isn't called "Documents" but "Documenti".

Please try to create ANOTHER folder in the same tree level, called "Documents", so that the path will look like this: C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins (NOTICE "Documents" and not "Documenti").

Maybe OB-Xd is looking in an absolute patch, an not in a path relative to the local language.
Exact, fmr.

And there is a trick to know EXACTLY what is the real name and what is the exact location of this folder whatever the country.

The procedure is extremely simple. It is this one:

1. Open a Windows File Explorer, without caring in which folder it opens.
  2. Then in the address bar of your Windows file Explorer, copy paste all the expression I write here in bold, and without forgetting the first character "%" and the last character "s".
    • %USERPROFILE%\Documents
  3. Then validate.
  4. That's all. And there you are in the right folder where are many subfolders. And among them there is the subfolder named DiscoDSP which contains all the data used by the DiscoDSP synths.

NuSofting proceeds the same way, and a lot of other plugin developers too. And it is an excellent way, because it prevents all the flaws which are due to user right restrictions (for purpose of security) on the usual "Program files" folder. In addition, the people who are used to periodically backup their Documents by backing up all the folder of documents with its subfolders are there fore sure to always backup all the data of their plugins. A backup doing incremental periodic backups (there are excellent free tools for that) takes that way a very small room on the external disk used for the backups of the personal documents.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

darix wrote:
fmr wrote: This is a blind shot, but nevertheless, you mat try it, since everything else failed. I understood from past posts that you are in an italian version of the OS, therefore, your directory isn't called "Documents" but "Documenti".

The path i used is c:\Users\dario\Documents\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins.
Folder Documents is the default folder than the installation of Windows 10 created for my user ("dario"), and assigned to the Documents folder.
Unfortunately the Italian installation of Windows 10 creates also an alias for folder(s) Documents, which is infact "Documenti", so if i browse with the classical Windows Explorer tool, that folder is shown as "Documenti". But if i type the path c:\Users\dario\Documents, the folder that it opens is my documents folder, in which i can of course find the "discoDSP" folder we are talking about.
Being that under dario\ there is already a Documents folder, i cannot create another (it gives me back an error that says something like "Hey Dario, fool, there is already a folder named Documents, you cannot create another, whatcha think?!"
I wonder if my problem is that i have an Italian installation (therefore the alias for Documents folder is not "Documents" or "My Documents", but, in fact, "Documenti". Could it be this the problem?
Almost for certain, it is. Although the files are in the proper place (as per the installation) it seems that path is "invisible" for the applications (confirmed when you try to browse there, you will end up in "Documenti". Try move the folder discoDSP into "Dario/Documenti".

Try what BlackWinny said, or, in alternative (maybe easier) just navigate into your My Documents, and then click in the empty space to the right of the name that appears in the top of the window (at the right of the navigation arrows, where it displays the patch with arrows.

When you click, the display changes to show the exact path in the usual system "language". In your case, it probably is C:\Users\Dario\Documenti

This is where you should place the DiscoDSP folder.
Fernando (FMR)

Hey guys, thank you very much for your suggestions. But we are discussing on something that is not my case. I am SURE that the folder is the right C:\Users\Dario\Documents, and that the alias of that folder is (since i have an Italian installation), "Documenti".

@Fmr, if I click on the address box of Windows Explorer for any folder in the PC i see the complete absolute address, except for folder Documenti (or Documents, or My Documents or whatever). In that case, unlike what happens on Windows 7, I keep seeing the alias "Documenti" (or "Documents", or "My Documents", or whatever). If you have a Windows 10 installation you can try yourself.

@BlackWinny, I didn't try what you suggest, yet (I promise i will as soon as i put my paws on my pc this evening when I get home from work!). Nevertheless i tried something simpler: right clicked on the "discoDSP" folder I created into the Documenti folders and selected "Proprietà" ("Properties") from the contextual menu. Somewhere in the dialog box that pops up there is the absolute path of the "discoDSP" folder, which is, in fact, "C:\Users\Dario\Documents\discoDSP", i promise.

So maybe it has to go under documenti then.

I thought there was a variable for %My Documents% or something like that - but I can't find it. That's why I suggested looking under properties of "Documents" in File Explorer.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

darix wrote: @Fmr, if I click on the address box of Windows Explorer for any folder in the PC i see the complete absolute address, except for folder Documenti (or Documents, or My Documents or whatever). In that case, unlike what happens on Windows 7, I keep seeing the alias "Documenti" (or "Documents", or "My Documents", or whatever). If you have a Windows 10 installation you can try yourself.
Well, I can't check that, since I have the english version of Windows installed (I always install the original version of Windows - or any other OS - exactly because of issues like the ones you are experiencing).

I tried doing what I advised you in Windows 10 (yes I also have that installed), and the behaviour is exactly the same as in Windows 7. If you are in your My Documents folder and you click in the empty sapce to the right in the address line, you see the system path. Sorry, I have no other ideas. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Why don't you try the installer? It should place the files on the correct location.

I haven't installed the new discodsp version. I have a few old projects that are loaded under datsounds. Will it automatically be replaced with the new discodsp version? If not, I'm unable to find a download for the latest version released by datsounds. I'm on the process of moving everything over to a new mac so I was hoping just to take care of it later. Can I just copy the .component file to the new Mac with no problem?

Yes it should be replaced and should be compatible but backup your files first!

Windows version 1.4 works fine in linux wine/reaper,
The linux version 1.4 scans in linux hosts, can see it
listed during the process, but then it fails to appear
in the available plugin selection, where Bliss and DP Pro
show up normally, ready to play.

Bitwig rescan output reported that it could not read
the OB-Xd metadata. Also failed in Mixbus and qtractor.

Great fun using it by Reaper, with skins/banks/great sounds :party:
Cheers

Also, there was no installer in the windows .zip file, so manually
placed the files.

Thanks for the reports :) will check.

The installer is now available for Windows.

discoDSP wrote:The installer is now available for Windows.
Thanks so much for also including the option to do a manual install :hug:

discoDSP wrote:Why don't you try the installer? It should place the files on the correct location.
Oh! Only now I notice there is one available. I downloaded the 1.4 version just few days ago and there wasn't any. I swear! :o

Anyway, last night I solved the problem (without the installer). As somebody suggested, i just right clicked on the plugin interface and selected my favorite skin. I didn't know I had to do that!!!
Thank you very much. And congratulation for the wonderful plugin. It sounds great (although i cannot judge a comparison to the vintage Ob-x machine - i never put my fingers on one of them).

If i may give a suggestion (but that's just my personal opinion), I don't like the Skins and the Banks folder being in the Documents for one simple reason: I prefer all my plugins and their configurations of my host to be available (without further re-installations or cross-copies) for all the users of my computer and portable without too much fuss onto other computers.
For this reason all of my VST environment is under one single folder (C:\Cantabile). If another user of the same pc wants to access, he/she can. All the relative or absolute paths of that configuration are the same for all the users. If i want to move all the environment on another computer i can move the whole Cantabile folder under the C: drive of the other computer, although in the other computer I connect with another user id, and once again all the paths of the configuration keeps being available.
I can understand the reason to put configuration in a folder accessible to the user (and Documents is for sure accessible, although usually for Windows software the correct folder for a program configuration, typically, is underneath the user's AppData hidden subtree). But there is another folder that is for sure accessible to all the users that access the plugin, which is the plugin folder itself! Why not to put the Skins and Banks folders over there? Or, even better, why not to allow the user to choose whichever folder he prefer?

Thank you very much
dario

Iu Gob wrote:Thank you very much for the update and for your work. OB-Xd 1.4 works fine in Reaper Win7 x 86. I made a video where you can see that the v1.4 consumes much CPU compared to a previous version(v1_1). What is the reason? Could be improved CPU consumption? A lot of thanks for continue the development. Regards.
https://www.facebook.com/iugob/videos/1790709741203861/
:tu: Thank you so much! Now it works fine. Regards
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Return to “Instruments”