Yamaha DX7II VSTi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wouldn't that be great? FM8 just isn't good enough. Yamaha need to release a VSTi of their great synth, just as Korg did with the M1... :cry:

If you Yamaha released it, I would buy immediately. I wish Yamaha would anothe FM synth again. I like their Hybrid FM synths too, so even if it's not a remake, a different FM synth would be welcome too, though I bet a DX7II would sell like hot cakes in software land.

Yamaha = Steinberg.

And Steinberg just released yet another version of Halion, not a DX7 emulation. What, you no like Halion? You get Halion. No arguments, Halion.

You don't need DX7, you need Halion. :lol:

This is the only actual DX 7 emulation I can think of in the software world. Its for Reason only though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiJ5cdlV34E

FM Heaven is the closest.

I thought Hexter was the closest
Amazon: why not use an alternative

FM8 does plenty of things DX7 couldn't, and it's a great FM synth in its own regard.

But it doesn't sound as good as a DX7II...

That's in the ear of the beholder and as subjective as it can be. Just check out Lotuzia's soundbanks and see what FM8 is capable of.

Isn't the hardware of the DX7II different to the original DX7 and also the sound a bit different?

found this about it:
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Keys-S ... d-p/662481
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -7-ii.html
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Keys-S ... d-p/607672

One technical difference seems to be a 12-bit DAc in the DX7 and a 16-bit DAC in DX7II.

Never owned a real DX7 myself but a SY77 which used an advanced version of the DX7 FM (including e.g. multiple waveforms). There was a software to convert DX7 sysex to SY77 format.

The only synths i currently got taht are focused on FM synthesis are NI FM8, Ableton Operator and the Beta of the upcoming Tone2 Nemesis (teaser published at KVR recently).

EvilDragon wrote:That's in the ear of the beholder and as subjective as it can be. Just check out Lotuzia's soundbanks and see what FM8 is capable of.
Lotuzia's "Gloss Spells" bank is indeed awesome.

FM8 got many features that were not included with the DX7.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

It really depends on your own quality aesthetic.

For me, there wasn't a single sound of mine that I made with my DX7II that I couldn't easily improve when imported into FM7/FM8. I sold the DX7, FM8 is plenty good enough for me, and the only thing I miss about the DX7II is the (very good) keyboard action and nice pitch/mod wheels...

The original DX7 is more lo-fi and crunchy than the II/S and FM7/FM8 and some people like that sound aesthetic too.

Kees49 wrote:FM8 just isn't good enough.
You mean it's too good right? FM8 has got a lot more to offer than DX7II, but it's not a straight emulation.

I can't speak to the DX7II, but I recently had a friend's original DX7 over here. I thought FM8 sounded a billion times better in every respect. Cleaner, clearer, brighter, and capable of so much more.

I do have a another friend with a DX7IIFD, so I'm curious to make that comparison, but so far I'm not impressed with the hardware nostalgia (at least in this case- I do have plenty of old hardware of my own!)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I think FM8 sounds a bit thin compared to a DX7II. The DX7II has more 'body'.

I owned both DX-7 versions as well as a TX-816 (8 DX-7's in a rack) and TX-802's.

Where the DX sound is beefy is using the DX-7II in unison mode where you stack (4) voices on top of each other.

802's are the most versatile; they are basically a DX-7 II in module form that has enhanced multi-preset and voice allocation/capabilities (up to 8 presets/polyphonic resources defined by the user) whilst still retaining the 16 note cap.

Return to “Instruments”