Yamaha DX7II VSTi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

beely wrote:And there goes the thread...
This is what KVR calls free bumps ;)

Numanoid wrote:
Teksonik wrote:No it's really not but it seems like you are hell bent on bickering.....
A case of the pot calling the kettle black me thinks
Teksonik wrote:then you went into Net Nanny mode and well here we are......... :roll:
Yup, let's bring out the "big" guns argument -> Mommie mommie: The other guys are policing me :roll:
You just don't get it do you?
Numanoid wrote:and will spend 10 pages to discuss to death...
Look up "self fulfilling prophecy"........
Numanoid wrote:If you wanna hear DX sounds for real, why the h*ll did you pass by that module for 40 bucks?
If you don't know the difference between a TX802 and a TX81Z the you really don't belong in this thread........ :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:If you don't know the difference between a TX802 and a TX81Z the you really don't belong in this thread........ :lol:
We are not talking difference like the TX802 is a MiniMoog Clone and TX81Z is Arp, now are we

According to information the TX802 is a heavier equipped FM module, than the TX81z:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx802.php
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx81z.php

Even if the TX81z got less OP's, it is still very capable of making FM type sounds.

To make an anlogy: many people would still prefer the Arp Odyssey over the Minimoog, even though the Minimoog got one more OSC.

Uncle E wrote:
stikygum wrote:The Software FM synths are the cheaper alternatives that sound nice and are pretty dang close to original DX7 sounds, but the convertors will always be missing in the sound. That's just a fact.
FWIW, Universal Audio modeled the convertors of the Lexicon 224 when they made their plugin. I do think someone could eventually circuit model the entire path of the DX7 to nail the sound AND I agree with you that we're not there yet. Until that happens, I'm using samples.
Propellerheads PX7 may have already done that.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Without prolonging any silly argument here - have to say that there's quite a large difference between 4-Op Dxs and 6-Op ones. There is a whole range of sounds on 6-Ops that you simply cannot make on a 4-Op, however hard you try, and very, very audible differences. Sometimes, what you read on a website about features on a synth does no justice to how those features actually sound when you actually use those synths.

And...for sure some old converters affect the sound. But when you're talking as old as DXs, those converters were pretty bad compared to most converters of today. personally I prefer the cleaner modern sound of plugins via decent soundcards. It's a personal thing, but I never liked digital dirt of old. Analogue dirt can be a whole different ball game - give me a filthy noisy overdriven analogue filter overdriven back into an audio-in to drive it even further any day of the week. In the same way I prefer the ever-so-slightly cleaner brighter sound of the Wavestation plugin (again, old and poorer converters). Old doesn't always = good. Cetainly not with digital. Dxs were pretty awfully noisy - on most patches on my DX100 I have to noise gate everything. I don't want that circuit modelled...

kritikon wrote:there's quite a large difference between 4-Op Dxs and 6-Op ones.
It looks like the only advantage the DX11 or TX81z has over the DX7II/TX802 is that it offers 8-part multitimbrality?

I guess I'll check this thread when it reaches page 14?

Numanoid wrote:
kritikon wrote:there's quite a large difference between 4-Op Dxs and 6-Op ones.
It looks like the only advantage the DX11 or TX81z has over the DX7II/TX802 is that it offers 8-part multitimbrality?
The TX-802 is 8-part multitimbral. It's essentially a multitimbral DX7II, 16-note poly 6op FM, I think with multiple outputs iirc.

The TX81Z is essentially a multitimbral DX100, or a DX11 in a rack - 8-note poly 4op FM.

Quite some significant differences.

And then there is the TX-816, which is 8 full DX7's (first version) in a rack, 8-part multitimbral, 128-note polyphony - pretty good for 1984! :)

beely wrote:And then there is the TX-816, which is 8 full DX7's (first version) in a rack, 8-part multitimbral, 128-note polyphony - pretty good for 1984! :)
Undoubtly comissioned by Keith Emerson, needed to replace his GX-1 :D

"The TX81Z features a new ability to use waveforms other than just a sine wave" - "It's got a wider range of sounds than the DX-7, may not be quite as warm or 'classic' sounding" according to http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx81z.php

The 8 waveforms is a nice little extra feature missing in the DX7, TX7, FM8 DX21, DX100 ……

Personally I don't agree that the TX81Z have a wider range, but it is a great little rack with lots of FM Possibilities

Owner of the DX7, TX7, TX81Z since the 80'es and now the NI FM7/FM8

I'm selling a pretty well used DX7 original version... Beat up, but everything works (as far as I know) and it has a good battery (reads 2.8 )... Eventually going to put it on Ebay. I bought it a while ago but other than testing it with presets and playing it here and there haven't used it much. I just bought a TX-7 in order to save space. Last time I checked (it's been a couple years) there was a huge difference between the same preset sounds of N.I.'s FM7 and the real DX7, which shocked me. Not only did the basic architecture of the sound differ more than I expected, but also the added converter noise, punch, whatever etc... FL Studio's Sytrus also imports DX7 presets, but the sounds were WAYyyyyyy off from the original, still gave you a starting point to work on a new sound or whatever though.

I don't know what they're going for these days... I'd take $175 shipped or best offer, in the continental U.S.. I could take pictures and stuff. Just throwing it out there since people are looking to buy one. I don't know if that's a good price or not for one that's seen a lot of use.

Carry on...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I've changed my mind... The DX-7 and FM-7 are very close after further testing. I must have had something messed up when I first tested it. The differences are minor.
Last edited by toine6 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunno,im normally all up for old 80's hardware synths inside my pc but im totally on the WTF bandwagon as far as the DX7 goes,what is so good about the dx7?...yamaha's SY series were much better keyboards(to be fair they came a little later on) but the DX7 is like the most overblown synth of all time imo,im actually hitting my forehead right now :?

bjarke wrote:"The TX81Z features a new ability to use waveforms other than just a sine wave" - "It's got a wider range of sounds than the DX-7, may not be quite as warm or 'classic' sounding" according to http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx81z.php

The 8 waveforms is a nice little extra feature missing in the DX7, TX7, FM8 DX21, DX100 ……

Personally I don't agree that the TX81Z have a wider range, but it is a great little rack with lots of FM Possibilities

Owner of the DX7, TX7, TX81Z since the 80'es and now the NI FM7/FM8
The TX81Z had a DIFFERENT range. Great little bass synth. Not really capable of generating all the pretty sidebands of the DX7.

But a plug-in based on the TX81Z could be useful (but actually redundant for FM8 owners.)

As an aside, I was cruising the web looking for FM stuff and found this:

http://www.sfu.ca/~truax/fmtut.html

But I am too stupid to get much out of it. It may be helpful to someone.

bjarke wrote:The 8 waveforms is a nice little extra feature missing in the DX7, TX7, FM8 DX21, DX100
Yes. But remember that with the TX81Z/DX11 etc (which came later in the 4-op range than the DX21/100/27/FB01 etc which were all the first generation 4-op FM synths), the extra waveforms were designed as an easier way to approach 6-op FM complexity with 4-op sounds - in short, it was a bolt-on to the 4-op FM synths to help them come a bit closer to the 6-op sounds - basically, to start with something more harmonically rich than just pure sin waves, so you wouldn't need an extra operator or two to jazz up the sin waves.

So it's not really something "extra" over 6-op FM, just a quick hacky way to get something a little bit more complex out of 4-op FM, as it was so inferior for complex sounds than 6-op FM.

Return to “Instruments”