Yamaha DX7II VSTi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

maxxxter wrote:The second and the third patch are pretty much the same, while all the others exhibit significant differences in brightness. Interesting shootout, cheers! :)
This harkens back to my original point that for a lot of patches, FM7/FM8 does a decent job, but there are patches it fares less well at - and it would be interesting to find out where the emulations are performing poorly...

Thanks for the audio, interesting. I think it's not that the DX7 sound character is "brighter" than FM7/FM8 (it's actually the other way around) but some patches are being interpreted a little different. You should check that this isn't caused by the velocity handling differences I mentioned earlier in the thread...

MrDuke wrote:
toine6 wrote:After further testing (as of today) I have decided the FM-7 is still pretty close to the original DX-7, the differences are there but quite minor, and certainly not worth all the headaches and hassle of using the original.
FM7? Is there an audible difference between FM7 and FM8? I know I certainly prefer the retro interface of the former ;) but sonically speaking? (I'm glad Propellerheads kept the old school DX7 vibe for their PX7)
Been many years since I tried FM8, I don't remember it sounding different, but I didn't like the GUI as well as FM7.

beely wrote:
maxxxter wrote:The second and the third patch are pretty much the same, while all the others exhibit significant differences in brightness. Interesting shootout, cheers! :)
This harkens back to my original point that for a lot of patches, FM7/FM8 does a decent job, but there are patches it fares less well at - and it would be interesting to find out where the emulations are performing poorly...

Thanks for the audio, interesting. I think it's not that the DX7 sound character is "brighter" than FM7/FM8 (it's actually the other way around) but some patches are being interpreted a little different. You should check that this isn't caused by the velocity handling differences I mentioned earlier in the thread...
Hmm, well it could be velocity handling differences I suppose. But I'm going to go ahead and say that if it is, that's still part of what makes them different sounding, cuz I'm lazy and probably won't get around to testing that anytime soon. I had a rogue setup going on yesterday, cords all over, instruments set here and there, unorganized and temporary and took it all down.

I'd prefer to see a SY99 clone, vice DX7... Way more potential!
Bachmaninoff

Return to “Instruments”