Countdown to Sample Tank 3, with 64 bit support

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank

There's been a lot of talk regarding the sounds and library, but what about the sampletank 3 browser? What significant changes and updates have been made for this upgrade?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote:There's been a lot of talk regarding the sounds and library, but what about the sampletank 3 browser? What significant changes and updates have been made for this upgrade?
Where ? I've seen questions but no list of sample content. Certainly that's got to be pretty much set in stone by now. I personally can't see being more concerned about the Browser than the samples and instruments that go in to it............. :shrug:

As an example after watching the Rudess video I definitely want the Piano but have absolutely no use for the Nylon Guitar or B3. That's why I've been wishing for a Custom Shop for ST3. That way we could buy just the sample content we want/need......seeing the shopping cart icon the the main toolbar is encouraging.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

murnau wrote:
mhog wrote:
LAGinz wrote:Ok, here's my solution on the player, which I think is a compromise that might benefit all. Make it free, with maybe 5 of the new sample sounds, but provide it with the new features in some limited form. That way IK can be wetting the appetites for ST3, while satisfying us users who have been waiting for native 64 bit compatibility far too long.
I am against a free player, the demo is more than enough: try it and if you like it and need it, ok: go and buy it. The ones who don't are really breaking balls with their anti-IK, anti-Peter, anti-whatever posts.
maybe next time before you feel the need to reply at least take the time and read why people asked for a free player. you missed the point totally. epic fail. :clap:
The truth: ST free was a gift, not a duty. ST3 should have a "free player" version?!... WHY?! For example, I don't understand why let's say Battery 4 should be a "free player"?! I bought v.4 as un upgrade from v.3 (which was upgraded from 2) and simply put my older patches in it and/or added the new ones I was interested. It was my choice. Why should I call NI and claim I want it for free because I alteady own half of the presets (from erlier libraries) and/or some others I will never use?! I really don't understand. Of course I expect a discount for people like me, who bought ST boxed for 350€. Nothing else. If they won't do that, I won't upgrade. Obviously, if everything comes out for free, better than ever. But I doubt, nobody does that. I doubt Kontakt 6 will be free for K5 owners or people who own "this and that" commercial libraries. Such things are nonsense, IMO. Regarding the fees, Spectrasonics asks about 50$, Camelaudio 20$ etc.

The sounds: I wonder why people come here claiming "not that good", "nothing new" and such bullshit, as if Sampletank had to be something different from a Bread and Butter Workstation... People interested in ST expect exactly those sounds.

Teksonik wrote:
trusampler wrote:There's been a lot of talk regarding the sounds and library, but what about the sampletank 3 browser? What significant changes and updates have been made for this upgrade?
Where ? I've seen questions but no list of sample content. Certainly that's got to be pretty much set in stone by now. I personally can't see being more concerned about the Browser than the samples and instruments that go in to it............. :shrug:

As an example after watching the Rudess video I definitely want the Piano but have absolutely no use for the Nylon Guitar or B3. That's why I've been wishing for a Custom Shop for ST3. That way we could buy just the sample content we want/need......seeing the shopping cart icon the the main toolbar is encouraging.
So, you mean people who own Kontakt need 100% of its 40gb library?... :roll: I doubt "kontakt player" that comes with huge specialized libraries can be comparable, since it useless alone. The ST free is very different.
Last edited by mhog on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhog wrote: ST3 should have a "free player" version?!... WHY?!
I think the main reason people want just a player is simply to be able to run the still-current version of ST 2.5, S.Moog, S.Tron, and the others at 64 bits so that we can use them in the most current DAWs like Logic X and Pro Tools.

I don't need free sounds or the extra fx (I do have Amplitube 3 and T-Racks Grand), I just want to be able to use my massive IKM collection in my current Logic X. They could strip it, just as long as I was able to run my IKM library again.

mhog wrote:
murnau wrote:
mhog wrote:
LAGinz wrote:Ok, here's my solution on the player, which I think is a compromise that might benefit all. Make it free, with maybe 5 of the new sample sounds, but provide it with the new features in some limited form. That way IK can be wetting the appetites for ST3, while satisfying us users who have been waiting for native 64 bit compatibility far too long.
I am against a free player, the demo is more than enough: try it and if you like it and need it, ok: go and buy it. The ones who don't are really breaking balls with their anti-IK, anti-Peter, anti-whatever posts.
maybe next time before you feel the need to reply at least take the time and read why people asked for a free player. you missed the point totally. epic fail. :clap:
The truth: ST free was a gift, not a duty. ST3 should have a "free player" version?!... WHY?! For example, I don't understand why let's say Battery 4 should be a "free player"?! I bought v.4 as un upgrade from v.3 (which was upgraded from 2) and simply put my older patches in it and/or added the new ones I was interested. It was my choice. Why should I call NI and claim I want it for free because I alteady own half of the presets (from erlier libraries) and/or some others I will never use?! I really don't understand. Of course I expect a discount for people like me, who bought ST boxed for 350€. Nothing else. If they won't do that, I won't upgrade. Obviously, if everything comes out for free, better than ever. But I doubt, nobody does that. I doubt Kontakt 6 will be free for K5 owners or people who own "this and that" commercial libraries. Such things are nonsense, IMO. Regarding the fees, Spectrasonics asks about 50$, Camelaudio 20$ etc.

The sounds: I wonder why people come here claiming "not that good", "nothing new" and such bullshit, as if Sampletank had to be something different from a Bread and Butter Workstation... People interested in ST expect exactly those sounds.

You must not be paying attention. Go ahead and read the second post on this page:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &p=5482439

Peter repeatedly implied that there would be a free player with ST3 to lure people to buy the ST2 group sales. That is probably the main reason people are so angry and disappointed with not having a free player. People bought these things with the feeling that they would be able to use them as 64 bit without having to shell out more money.

Angle Loss wrote:
mhog wrote: ST3 should have a "free player" version?!... WHY?!
I think the main reason people want just a player is simply to be able to run the still-current version of ST 2.5, S.Moog, S.Tron, and the others at 64 bits so that we can use them in the most current DAWs like Logic X and Pro Tools.

I don't need free sounds or the extra fx (I do have Amplitube 3 and T-Racks Grand), I just want to be able to use my massive IKM collection in my current Logic X. They could strip it, just as long as I was able to run my IKM library again.
I own them, too, bought in one of those "crazy buy" whatever things, for a few euros. I don't expect IKM giving a "free ST3 player", honestly. If they will, wow. If not, ok. If someone needs these libraries so much in 64 bit, Just buys ST3 and import them (I guess it can be done). If somebody bought them before the "crazy" bargins (full price, 200+€), IK should offer a discount. Like the ones (like myself) who bought ST boxed and full price in 2004. But this is not a duty. I they will not do that, I won't upgrade. It's that simple.

donato wrote:Peter repeatedly implied that there would be a free player with ST3 to lure people to buy the ST2 group sales. That is probably the main reason people are so angry and disappointed with not having a free player. People bought these things with the feeling that they would be able to use them as 64 bit without having to shell out more money.
:dog:

You mean people are so stupid they buy ST2 libraries for a few dollars because they expect ST3 for free?! :roll: And now they are angry?! :lol:

I think this is nonsense. I mean, sometimes people buy beta products with a huge discount, because it is granted the definitive version will be free of charge. Never heard people buying a working product (though obsolete/old etc.) because they are sure the next version will be for free :o
Last edited by mhog on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhog wrote:
donato wrote:Peter repeatedly implied that there would be a free player with ST3 to lure people to buy the ST2 group sales. That is probably the main reason people are so angry and disappointed with not having a free player. People bought these things with the feeling that they would be able to use them as 64 bit without having to shell out more money.
:dog:

You mean people are so stupid they buy ST2 libraries for some dollars because they expect ST3 for free?! :roll: And now they are angry?! :lol:

I am starting to think you just don't read very well, or can't follow simple logic. I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you anymore.

I read well, but I don't understand where and when Peter said such a nonsense. If he claimed that, then people are right to be angry! I just read "there will be a nice discount for long time users" or smth. When (and where) did Peter claim things like "people, go and buy the crazy group sale, because ST3 will be a free upgrade for you"?! I mean: libraries that years before costed hundreds dollars sold for 10-20 dollars all together?!... It is obviously a sort of "vapourware sell" (so to speak), everyone understands it, out of the IK "hype" (which I never consider, of course).

But, again, if he really claimed that, of course people are right to be angry and disappointed!
Last edited by mhog on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

People who own Kontakt Player libraries always get the latest version of Player for free. People who own UVI libraries always get the latest version of UVI Workstation for free. And as for Battery, which is a standalone instrument, not a platform on top of which its vendor sold countless products, NI supported and updated it for 7 years, not asking a penny for giving existing Battery 3 customers 64-bit support.

Re: mhog

I posted you a link. Here is another link where he said it was planned. Second to last post on this page. He later in the thread said things could change (things can always change, and he edited one of his posts), which is fine, but don't expect people to not be angry about it.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=30

yevster wrote:People who own Kontakt Player libraries always get the latest version of Player for free. People who own UVI libraries always get the latest version of UVI Workstation for free. And as for Battery, which is a standalone instrument, not a platform on top of which it's vendor sold countless products, NI supported and updated it for 7 years, not asking a penny for giving existing Battery 3 customers 64-bit support.
I think those are different products. You cannot do anything with Kontakt player alone. On the contrary ST2 free was/is a real instrument. Kontakt (full) etc. are never "free" when upgraded. You pay them, even if the library changes for few GBs (e.g. v4 to v5). Regarding UVI, I can't say anything, because I don't own them. I can talk about the products I own (Omnisphere, Kontakt, Alchemy, Battery etc.) and I don't see any difference in terms of price for upgrade and/or license fees (For instance: it is true that NI ones are "free", but at the same time I cannot resell my original boxed copy of Reaktor, because I used it to buy Komplete at a special price. Different policies, same matter: "money" :hihi: ...).
Last edited by mhog on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

In the third to last post on the fifth page, he again says:

"Thanks, Theo. You are right that it is likely there's a Free version of ST3 that will let you use all of what you have and in 64-bit glory. I hope I finally was able to state a little more clearly how I felt about that too :) I'm on board but I'm not the one who makes the final decision - but it really is normal trajectory for us to do so as we've been doing it with each product."

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=60

mhog wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

So, you mean people who own Kontakt need 100% of its 40gb library?... :roll: I doubt "kontakt player" that comes with huge specialized libraries can be comparable, since it useless alone. The ST free is very different.
What the hell are you talking about ? I never mentioned a free player. I don't even want a free player. I simply asked for a list of sample content so I'll know if I want to purchase an engine only upgrade if available or if I'll want the sample content as well. Obviously no one is going to want every sample or instrument. But if there is enough of that 30 gigs that I do want then I'll buy it. Of the three instruments in the Rudess video I only want one so if the rest of the 30 gigs is the same ratio I may not buy it....unless forced to do so just to get the engine upgrade. But I don't know since there is no list of sample content that I know of.

The point was in case you missed it that it would be nice to have a Custom Shop such as the one that already exists in Amplitube and TRacks in ST3. I'd rather pay for the engine only upgrade then pay for the samples I want. There is a shopping cart icon on ST3's main toolbar so maybe that will happen in the future.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”