Countdown to Sample Tank 3, with 64 bit support

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank

KevWestBeats wrote:+1 This is why I don't get why people get so up in arms about it.
On the contrary, I don't understand why people come here and claim "this is just a vst". I prefer the love/hate attitude, because (1) it is more interesting; (2) it proves people loves Sampletank. At first I was upset because I did not understand the "hate" and mockery (so to speak) regarding ST3 here. For me ST is a great product, not "just a vst". The fact people feel disappointed, angry etc. about the lack of infos from IKM, their weird policy etc. means this product is still loved and needed. Something similar is happening with Sylenth1 AU (still 32 bit). You can even tell me "oh, it is just a trance oriented synth" and such, yet a lot of people are rather angry about Lennardigital continuous delays and still waiting for 64 bit. I solved with 32Lives, but I had to spend money. This is because I do suspect Sylenth1 64bit AU will never come out. The difference is: while LD is almost MUTE about Sylenth1 (no words about anything since years), ST3 is on youtube videos, NAMM show, "enthusiast Jordan Rudess playing it", as if it was already there. But it isn't :o That is my disappointment. Besides, everything is in english: I have difficulties to understand everything, let alone understood matters! Consequent redundance, sorry for that.
Last edited by mhog on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well definitely don't worry about that last part, many native English speaking folk - especially of the American English speaking variety (though in all fairness I can only speak for myself) - can be quite redundant. :)

I got yer redundant right here.........
Teksonik wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Ah, a real question/comment/concern, thank you.
Are these not "real questions" ?
Teksonik wrote: 30 gigs of samples. What samples ? 3000 instruments. Which instruments ?
Let me ask again.........can we have a list of the sample content in ST 3 ? I'll settle for one real answer.........
Certainly someone has made a list of the new samples......I don't imagine it would kill the thrill just to post it.......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hahaha. Can someone from IK just answer Teksonik???!!! Even with one of their BS "trajectory" or half-truth replies would be nice ;)

The list of sounds will be posted when the product pages are opened.

mhog wrote:
2. The decision not to port the current 2.x SampleTank VIs to 64 bit was due to the status of the code, which would have created a situation with bugs and instability.
According to whom? "bugs and instability". In other words, IK can't be bothered to produce a 64 bit version of Sampletank 2.5, even though LOADS of other developers have produced perfectly reliable 64 bit upgrades of their VSTs and given them to their existing customers at no cost...

ObiK wrote: To be clear SampleTank 3 is a NEW product. It will read all of our OLD SampleTank 2 libraries like SampleMoog, SampleTron, Miroslav Philharmonik....etc.
Thanks for pointing that out, I would never have realised...

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:@mhog: Whatever "policies" people have been complaining about for 80+ pages, perhaps? It is a full version, a complete rewrite and it is called SampleTank 3 for that logical reason. Nothing was ignored - there were points posted from our forum (a post made a while ago) above that explain why a "simple" update wasn't so simple
Because your programmers can't even convert a 32 bit VST to a 64 bit one?
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: or the right decision
Meaning: it would cost us some programming time, and we don't think our programmers are up to it, so we won't bother.
WHO wasn't it the 'right decision' for? Certainly not your existing customers.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: and it has been hashed and rehashed here quite a bit already with regard to users wanting said "simple" update.
It shouldn't be that difficult an update, how come so many other devs here have upgraded their VSTs to 64 bit, many of them single handed?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Take a look at the overview video which explains what SampleTank 3 is. Seems straightforward enough to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7uwcHPVyJU
Yes, that video tells us that ST3 doesn't seem to do much more than ST2.5 does...
You haven't made a video listing what it actually does, synthwise, that's an advance on ST2.5. You haven't made a simple video with a few hundred presets being demoed - so we can actually hear what it sounds like.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: The point was, nobody cared to gripe about any of these issues that has come up in this thread at NAMM where we were showing it.
And? So your entire customer base was at NAMM... I get it...
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: There were exhibitors, buyers/merchants, artists, regular users (since passes were available for many via exhibitors) so there was quite a cross-section and again none of them cared about any of the hubbub we see here.
Then just ignore it, and continue to lose customers. You don't care anyway, that much is obvious.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: You will get more information as we near release, open the web pages, etc. I'm sorry that there isn't enough information now for you and I do appreciate your interest in SampleTank 3.
We want to know WHY there isn't more information. What exactly are you trying to sell us? A myth? A mystery? All of the things we are asking for should have been done months ago, a FREE upgrade should have been made public knowledge, but you might 'lose money', the specifications of ST3, the preset list, demos of hundreds of presets, then you give away a FREE player version with fifty sounds in it, as a free advert for ST3, then people who want to buy more sounds off you can click on the shop icon and there you have it.

How difficult is that?

And you still didn't satisfactorily explain your ridiculous 7.99 euros download charges... but I forget, it's a 'trade secret' - LOL.

b15fliptop wrote:Cripes, man. What you're doing here is harassing. The info will be available when it's available.

It's just a VST, don't throw a rod. :nutter:
How can IK NOT know how much they are going to sell ST3 for? Why don't they understand how business works? Customer loyalty costs a fortune to get and to maintain, yet they are trying to screw over existing customers all the time - i.e. 7.99 euros to redownload a 15 euro expansion, soon adds up when you have ten of them. Utterly ridiculous and obvious money grubbing, are you going to defend that too?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:The list of sounds will be posted when the product pages are opened.
And that will be when ? Tell you what I'll check back in six months to see if ST3 is any closer to release...........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

basslinemaster, are you a programmer? because you seem to know an awful lot about how to port an old legacy codebase (that's miles behind IK's current frameworks) to a new CPU architecture without introducing new bugs due to the original code never being meant to be run in 64-bit environment in the first place and was written as such.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

basslinemaster wrote:
b15fliptop wrote:Cripes, man. What you're doing here is harassing. The info will be available when it's available.

It's just a VST, don't throw a rod. :nutter:
How can IK NOT know how much they are going to sell ST3 for? Why don't they understand how business works? Customer loyalty costs a fortune to get and to maintain, yet they are trying to screw over existing customers all the time - i.e. 7.99 euros to redownload a 15 euro expansion, soon adds up when you have ten of them. Utterly ridiculous and obvious money grubbing, are you going to defend that too?
Nope. I'm going to wait until the product is released, and all of the info is made available, and then decide whether or not I want buy it. Because that's how life works.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Burillo wrote:basslinemaster, are you a programmer? because you seem to know an awful lot about how to port an old legacy codebase (that's miles behind IK's current frameworks) to a new CPU architecture without introducing new bugs due to the original code never being meant to be run in 64-bit environment in the first place and was written as such.
Ehm... From page 1:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
As stated multiple times before, many times here, SampleTank 3 will be 64-bit, will load/import previous Powered By SampleTank libraries, and will be released by the end of the year.

An example: on ReFX "news" we can read:

Vanguard2 Coming Soon
Vanguard2 is on its way! 64-bit and fully backwards-compatible with Vanguard; this is what all of you Vanguard fans have been waiting for! This will be provided, upon release, as a free upgrade for all owners of a Vanguard license

What if RefX will come out with a "brand new Vanguard, because the old code was buggy" and such with new (not requested) features, and no mention at all about free upgrades, cost, date release etc.?

People would feel... harassed? :?

mhog wrote:
Burillo wrote:basslinemaster, are you a programmer? because you seem to know an awful lot about how to port an old legacy codebase (that's miles behind IK's current frameworks) to a new CPU architecture without introducing new bugs due to the original code never being meant to be run in 64-bit environment in the first place and was written as such.
Ehm... From page 1:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
As stated multiple times before, many times here, SampleTank 3 will be 64-bit, will load/import previous Powered By SampleTank libraries, and will be released by the end of the year.

An example: on ReFX "news" we can read:

Vanguard2 Coming Soon
Vanguard2 is on its way! 64-bit and fully backwards-compatible with Vanguard; this is what all of you Vanguard fans have been waiting for! This will be provided, upon release, as a free upgrade for all owners of a Vanguard license

What if RefX will come out with a "brand new Vanguard, because the old code was buggy" and such with new (not requested) features, and no mention at all about free upgrades, cost, date release etc.?

People would feel... harassed? :?
it doesn't matter how people feel. the reasons behind the decision are purely technical. if you decide something isn't worth the effort - you move on. that's how software world works. ReFX obviously decided the effort to port Vanguard to 64-bit was within their possibilities. IK decided it wasn't. software isn't magic, there's a lot of effort involved. and sometimes an effort to rewrite is smaller than an effort to change an already existing complex system.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Teksonik wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:The list of sounds will be posted when the product pages are opened.
And that will be when ? Tell you what I'll check back in six months to see if ST3 is any closer to release...........
OK. That's fair enough and I'd say something about having the list by then but I'm no longer giving any dates until they are almost-literally written in stone, the two keys to launch the missile are turned, etc.

Return to “Instruments”