Countdown to Sample Tank 3, with 64 bit support

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank

HaganeSteel wrote: One of the things ST has done right, that few other synth/sample manufacturers have, is that it gets the attack transients on the samples right. That's kind of a sad statement about the competition (specifically Dimension Pro), but it's true.
I'll address this part but first - thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. Glad you are getting something out of our involvement here.

About the quote above - yes, the sampling is important so you can get the excellent quality on the front end and there are also very usable and powerful tools once you start using those sounds. For example, the engine itself will still do something that was powerful when SampleTank originally included it and it will be very powerful to use in SampleTank 3: the formant preserving pitch-shift/time-stretch that is simple to use but exceptional in what it does for you.

The workflow is important too, and even now there are very quick routes to get to what you want to do - we just posted this Miroslav Philharmonik tip from a user today because it is still relevant and useful, and it is just one example of how quickly you can get sounds that help you record and perform without hours of prep or hard-to-perform "moves" required:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzZukm8nNoM

Did you guys really record the acoustic guitars with 5 mics?? :o

What is this good for?
And as far as I can see, all were aimed at the same spot.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
HaganeSteel wrote: One of the things ST has done right, that few other synth/sample manufacturers have, is that it gets the attack transients on the samples right. That's kind of a sad statement about the competition (specifically Dimension Pro), but it's true.
I'll address this part but first - thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. Glad you are getting something out of our involvement here.

About the quote above - yes, the sampling is important so you can get the excellent quality on the front end and there are also very usable and powerful tools once you start using those sounds. For example, the engine itself will still do something that was powerful when SampleTank originally included it and it will be very powerful to use in SampleTank 3: the formant preserving pitch-shift/time-stretch that is simple to use but exceptional in what it does for you.
Oh, I see, so part of why it's so tight is because of the technology too?

I'm sure there might be stuff under the hood that we don't see, like sample offset settings.

You don't think about the engine a lot of the time, but I guess it's really half the synth.

Round Robin, 64 bit, new instruments, crossgrade offers accepted... exactly what I was hoping for mostly! I hope there is more info to come. :D

I had just decided to hold on to Sampletank because like Hagane said... it works! It's the closest thing that I have that feels like I'm using hardware (which is why I bought Sampletank about 9 years ago) but with the ease of use of software.

Peter, you're a great guy for putting up with all of the abuse over the years. You need a raise! LOL

I just bought Total Studio 3 prior to learning about this just because musically, most of what IK puts out clicks with me the easiest. No huge learning curve, great sounds and the mroe you dive into Sampletank the more useful it becomes.

I've personally been waiting to find more brass instruments that have the same feel that ST does (without spending an arm & a leg). The Kontakt libraries ar decent, but I dont liek the sound too much or the learning curve. Chris Hein Horns is a little too much for me & I dont want to use loops.

Here is a little something I did years ago when I got comfortable with ST2. I cant WAIT to get my hands on ST3 and do more! :D

https://soundcloud.com/saukar/fats-band
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Novalis wrote:Did you guys really record the acoustic guitars with 5 mics?? :o

What is this good for?
And as far as I can see, all were aimed at the same spot.
Each of the microphones has different tonal qualities (and could very well be plugged into VERY different preamps too). There are nearly endless possibilities sonically and like HaganeSteel said earlier "Making a synth or sample set is an artform, and I tend to get attached to my gear in the same way a normal person gets attached to a piece of music." which factors into wanting to have a lot of options and getting a very versatile yet realistic sound.

Here's the picture for reference if others have not seen it:

But do you blend all 5 mics together, or is it more

1.) to have a choice between the mics after the recording, and decide which sounds best afterwards

2.) for convenience, not having to always set up new mics when changing instruments

3.) both :D

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Image
That's the kind of thing I love to see!

That kind of eccentricity that reflects original thinking, which only comes from hard won experience.

It sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Besides, I was a preacher. I'm allowed to sound cheesy. :hihi:

Novalis wrote:But do you blend all 5 mics together, or is it more

1.) to have a choice between the mics after the recording, and decide which sounds best afterwards

2.) for convenience, not having to always set up new mics when changing instruments

Or 4) So the ST3 user can have a choice as to which version of the sound he/she wants to load (user has access to all the different microphone versions). That would be sweet..
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:
Novalis wrote:But do you blend all 5 mics together, or is it more

Or 4) So the ST3 user can have a choice as to which version of the sound he/she wants to load (user has access to all the different microphone versions). That would be sweet..
That would be awesome, and not that uncommon. Sort of like how the Virtuoso 2000 had "Hall" and "Studio" versions of many of their sounds.

Do this, Peter. :hihi:

HaganeSteel wrote:Do this, Peter. :hihi:
(if only I could)

:lol: I'm watching Star Trek: TNG on Hulu right now. :D

HaganeSteel wrote::lol: I'm watching Star Trek: TNG on Hulu right now. :D
Never gets old

Hey Saukar30, excellent track !
VarioProductions has an awesome philharmonic movie score video.

Peter Ik, can you tell us what kind of mics, Mic pres,outboard,etc. Eg: ad converters were used for the sounds of sampletank 3?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

bill45 wrote:Hey Saukar30, excellent track !
VarioProductions has an awesome philharmonic movie score video.
Thank you Bill!
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Return to “Instruments”