Pads: your first choice?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really getting in to Synplant these days... I've put like 20 of em' in songs and it just seems to be perfect. Low cpu, and blends really well for a lot of stuff. Wish they'd tempo sync the fx though... 8)

Wavestation. I can't be the first person in 10 pages to mention this. :o
♫♪♫♫♪♫

3*s wrote:Wavestation. I can't be the first person in 10 pages to mention this. :o
I think no one has mentioned Ensoniq Transwaves, either.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
3*s wrote:Wavestation. I can't be the first person in 10 pages to mention this. :o
I don't own them, so I can't call them a first choice, but I'm considering picking up this week... Wusik & PsyGen (been demoing the PsyGen for awhile now, nice evolving/morph pad actions).

BBFG# wrote:
Aroused by JarJar wrote:
I don't own them, so I can't call them a first choice, but I'm considering picking up this week... Wusik & PsyGen (been demoing the PsyGen for awhile now, nice evolving/morph pad actions).
Wusik does Transwaves? I did not know that, love to hear some examples...

found some:

http://www.wikizic.org/Wusik-Wusikstati ... kZI6D4.htm

it's well-done except it's pretty lo-fi. Of course the originals in the Ensoniq machines weren't burnished ueber-quality-digital either, but they were thick and not "lite".
Last edited by Aroused by JarJar on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
BBFG# wrote: I don't own them, so I can't call them a first choice, but I'm considering picking up this week... Wusik & PsyGen (been demoing the PsyGen for awhile now, nice evolving/morph pad actions).
Wusik does Transwaves? I did not know that, love to hear some examples...
I don't know if it does or not, they do nice pads though...

jacqueslacouth wrote:
I really hope so. This thread prompted me to go back and have another play wih Omnisphere, and yes, there are some really nice pads there. I think part of my thing is that I tend to get sucked in to the multitude of presets and end up noodling around sort of going "yeh, that's cool, nah, don't like that" etc. etc.
The thing with Omnisphere is that there are soooo many patches in there that you have to weed out the "ho-hum" patches. Last year I took a couple days and went through every one of the 2000+ patches in Omnisphere and marked my favorites. Now when I open Omnisphere I can go right to all my favorite pads instantly. Even though some of the Omnisphere material, like the Symphony of Voices samples, is nearly 15 years old, some of the pads based on those samples sound incredible within Omnisphere. Try stacking 2, 3, or 4, of your favorites together and you can get some incredibly stunning pads. :)

quantum7 wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:
I really hope so. This thread prompted me to go back and have another play wih Omnisphere, and yes, there are some really nice pads there. I think part of my thing is that I tend to get sucked in to the multitude of presets and end up noodling around sort of going "yeh, that's cool, nah, don't like that" etc. etc.
The thing with Omnisphere is that there are soooo many patches in there that you have to weed out the "ho-hum" patches. Last year I took a couple days and went through every one of the 2000+ patches in Omnisphere and marked my favorites. Now when I open Omnisphere I can go right to all my favorite pads instantly. Even though some of the Omnisphere material, like the Symphony of Voices samples, is nearly 15 years old, some of the pads based on those samples sound incredible within Omnisphere. Try stacking 2, 3, or 4, of your favorites together and you can get some incredibly stunning pads. :)
I'd like to hear a modulated PWM pad from Omnisphere that does not use any of the sample library, only the built-in oscillators.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
quantum7 wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:
I'd like to hear a modulated PWM pad from Omnisphere that does not use any of the sample library, only the built-in oscillators.
I'd like to hear that also. Spectrasonics really needs their own forum. I would bet that someone out there has created some nice pads using only the built-in oscillators.

quantum7 wrote: I'd like to hear that also. Spectrasonics really needs their own forum. I would bet that someone out there has created some nice pads using only the built-in oscillators.
+1 on them having their own forum. :tu:

Zion Designs Paddler

Wouldn't this thread have less padding if the title was: "Pads: What's your LAST choice?" :hihi:
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

mandolarian wrote:Wouldn't this thread have less padding if the title was: "Pads: What's your LAST choice?" :hihi:
In that case, it's 'MemoryFoam' on my bed and pillow.

I'm sure it's been mentioned. But I'll mention Camel Audio Alchemy again, then :).

Sampleconstruct wrote:So far these synths were mentioned in this thread, when the next thread comes up with "Which synth is best for leads, basses, plucks, drops, wobbles, trippy, shmoppy, flippy, wuppy, homophobe, urban and ambient meditation music just refer to this list or copy/paste it into any thread:

*Alchemy
*Anything from HG Fortune
*HALion 5

not enough, keep them coming.
Get rid of Alchemy and HALion

Take "Anything from HG Fortune" and just shorten it to "Anything".

Then, when someone asks for the "best, latest, greatest, most awesome, l33t, shawingggg Pads" you just say : "Anything". case closed :bang:

And while you kids ponder this heavy topic, just know this :
Hanz Zimmer, for example, likes to LAYER synth patches (I do, too, BTW). listen to the main pad in "Inception" : it's "HS Broken 4 Rotate" + Something else.

You could do that, too.

Just choose your free\paid synths (there are literally HUNDREDS of free synths that have this one or two or ten sounds that can be used for layering), layer them sounds and get pad sounds like no other. export them as samples, and there you go : instant sound designing without knowing synthesis (I think synthesis nowadays is overrated, anyway. layering, OTOH, is far underrated). just follow your heart - and your ears (in that order).

Return to “Instruments”