One-Synth-Challenge 57: Tunefish - Chat & Gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tunefish 3

I think the best solution would imply having a few people on different system test the synth before every new challenge is announced. If it proves to be unstable on too many system then it should just be discarded.

I'd be willing to do such a try every month.

V'ger wrote:Lesson learned that anything out of the ordinary routine must be announced more clearly, but also that we really should have in place more testing of synths before launch since things vary so much between systems. We used to have synth voting before in order to get stuff tried out, but still the buggy synths were voted in to prove people didn't test much so was therefore dropped, but that was with 10 synths which was maybe too much to test so how about we try a system with 3 alternative synths to be tested and voted on the week before launch?
Well...IMO: There are not many great free synths left; unless we're goig back to forgotten, old instruments released many years back. So there will always be some issues with the chosen synth: not MAC compatible, not 64bit, not working in some DAWs, not this nor that. It's not an enforced/mandatory competition, folks join in only if they want & feel like. I've skipped a few editions because I didn't like that specific synth that much, or due to lack of time; so did others. It's not like the world is gonna end if you miss a round ;)

On the other hand, being able to help a dev that is sharing his work for free is (or should be) IMO far more important than the stress and/or the issues that pissed some folks off. I'd rather do this, as a thank you to all the freebie creators, rather than feeding my ego with a good OSC entry :) I'm sorry my skills are still very limited so I can't chip in with more in depth help...

I've recently switched to a(n) (almost) freeware only setup - that would have not been possible a few years back without the work & generosity of so many devs (some usually playing in the commercial field). Ppl, you should really take a break at some point and simply test everything that is currently available for free - the ammount of awesomeness & the amazing toys available nowadays for free is downright incredible ;) We got used to grabbing anything we can get for free without thinking how much time & work was invested in that product, only to be shared at no cost.

Just because I'm a freebie junkie, doesn't mean I'm an ungrateful free rider - quite the opposite; I use freebies because in the end I think it matters more to the freebie creators to see their work put to good use than to a commercial developer - and I prefer to promote (even at my humble level) the people that deserve ;)

Of course, this is just my opinion :) And I don't want it to sound mean in any way, I'm not pointing fingers or anything of that sort, I'm just saying how I see things, now that my eyes are finally wide open :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:Well...IMO: There are not many great free synths left; unless we're goig back to forgotten, old instruments released many years back. So there will always be some issues with the chosen synth: not MAC compatible, not 64bit, not working in some DAWs, not this nor that. It's not an enforced/mandatory competition, folks join in only if they want & feel like. I've skipped a few editions because I didn't like that specific synth that much, or due to lack of time; so did others. It's not like the world is gonna end if you miss a round ;)

On the other hand, being able to help a dev that is sharing his work for free is (or should be) IMO far more important than the stress and/or the issues that pissed some folks off. I'd rather do this, as a thank you to all the freebie creators, rather than feeding my ego with a good OSC entry :) I'm sorry my skills are still very limited so I can't chip in with more in depth help...

I've recently switched to a(n) (almost) freeware only setup - that would have not been possible a few years back without the work & generosity of so many devs (some usually playing in the commercial field). Ppl, you should really take a break at some point and simply test everything that is currently available for free - the ammount of awesomeness & the amazing toys available nowadays for free is downright incredible ;) We got used to grabbing anything we can get for free without thinking how much time & work was invested in that product, only to be shared at no cost.

Just because I'm a freebie junkie, doesn't mean I'm an ungrateful free rider - quite the opposite; I use freebies because in the end I think it matters more to the freebie creators to see their work put to good use than to a commercial developer - and I prefer to promote (even at my humble level) the people that deserve ;)

Of course, this is just my opinion :) And I don't want it to sound mean in any way, I'm not pointing fingers or anything of that sort, I'm just saying how I see things, now that my eyes are finally wide open :)
I do completely agree with you, man.

Even though TuneFish had some issues here and there, the pleasure of being able to overcome those issues and manage to create a track with it has been priceless.

Not only that, but if not for OSC, most of us would have never had the chance to know about this wonderful synth and, in the meantime, help payne_bc to make it even better. Not forgetting to mention his superb support all over this month.

I'm still a rookie here, I know, and I'm far from being a nice sound designer, but one of the main purposes of OSC, AFAIK, is to be able to create a nice track using one synth only and, along this whole process, to overcome all bugs and limitations in order to achieve success. In this aspect, TuneFish more than fits the bill.

Personally, I'd prefer the whole system to remain as it is right now.

V'ger wrote:Yes issues overcomeable or just use Tunefish 2, but it seems people just didn't understand that there was a backup synth to use which is a shame as it sounds good and I believe worked fine on most systems.. :shrug:
Just to give my perspective on this: the problem is that I (and I suspect others too) make a choice to commit to a certain OSC and synth. If I don't like the chosen synth I'll pass. If I do like it then I'm set to work with it. In last month's OSC I made the decision for CM-101 almost right away, and I couldn't have switched to another choice somewhere down the line as my mind was set to work with that. Same with Tunefish3; after two weeks of playing around and (mostly) testing new releases, my mindset was focused on that one. I simply can not switch halfway :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

one question, i make my first entry in this contest and wanna be sure it's all following the rules!

- i used only TUNEFISH v3.1 RC and INTERNAL effects
- also FL Studio DAW built-in plugs:

Fruity Multiband Compressor
Fruity Compressor
Fruity EQ2
Fruity Stereo Enhancer
Fruity Limiter
Fruity Reverb 2

- also Freeware plugins: FerricTDS, bx Solo, s(M)exoscope

- and i created Automation clips ony my playlist

should be all legit shouldnt it? :)

please let me know so i can make a soundcloud account and upload my song.

oh one question i read the song is only for the submission? so i may not use it for some other release or something?
rpor wrote:
Caine123 wrote:thanks to all fror the help, another prob i got with a patch, it is played ( i made a row of the same note played to show you the prob ;)) the same note but the pitch sounds sometimes different???

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98v8htg208kt8 ... 20test.mp3
I'm not sure, but could that be the "slop" knob at the top?
thanks mate it seemed so :D

sorry another annoying clicking at the end of randomly snare hit..... with HP filter on and off is nearly the same...

any ideas? :(, no fun having such clicks in it :P

abovethoughts wrote:Seeing all this work has me interested in giving v3 another try, but I just finished my track and uploaded using v2 :)
Ok, the devs frequent updates inspired me to also update my entry and to produce a bank of presets ;)

In order to prep my soundbank for the general public, I could use some help ....

Seems I need to tweak the volume of quite a few presets as I was using a brickwall limiter because the Global volume control as I found out quickly could be overridden by the mod matrix. Currently I have about 104 (should get up to 128 in the next few days) that I would be happy to submit ...

So I am looking for any suggestions/tips keeping the volume even throughout the bank of presets.

Thanks in advance, AT

abovethoughts wrote:
abovethoughts wrote:Seeing all this work has me interested in giving v3 another try, but I just finished my track and uploaded using v2 :)
Ok, the devs frequent updates inspired me to also update my entry and to produce a bank of presets ;)

In order to prep my soundbank for the general public, I could use some help ....

Seems I need to tweak the volume of quite a few presets as I was using a brickwall limiter because the Global volume control as I found out quickly could be overridden by the mod matrix. Currently I have about 104 (should get up to 128 in the next few days) that I would be happy to submit ...

So I am looking for any suggestions/tips keeping the volume even throughout the bank of presets.

Thanks in advance, AT
I read a request for an auto gain somewhere between the lines, do I not? :)

Oh and the clicking... it's following me already into my dreams. I am afraid that will not be fixed in time (now many have submitted anway already) but I will keep working on that after the deadline. So many awesome tunes and sound have been created, I feel motivated to keep coding :)

idfpower wrote:This OSC may have turned into a Tunefish open beta as well, but IMO it was freakin' awesome to see all this happening before our eyes and having the opportunity to help for a change a dev ironing out the flaws of his products in order to ultimately benefit from it (since Tunefish is free).

On a different note, seeing a dev so dedicated to his product and so helpful and providind fixes around the clock is beyond outstanding in my book - for that alone, payne & Tunefish deserve respect and a bunch of good songs ;) Kudos ;)
Well said, my sentiments exactly :clap:

I fully respect people's availability and commitments etc. But I would urge people to remember that, sometimes, the greater the challenges the greater the results:

http://youtu.be/oDoGYlAzT7w

payne_bc wrote: I read a request for an auto gain somewhere between the lines, do I not? :)
Yes, please ;)

Caine123 wrote:one question, i make my first entry in this contest and wanna be sure it's all following the rules!

Fruity Compressor
Fruity EQ2
Fruity Stereo Enhancer
Fruity Limiter
Fruity Reverb 2

Yup ;)

As for the song being created specifically for OSC, AFAIK it means that you can't submit a song that was previously created for an album/compilation/competition etc, but you're free to do whatever you want with it after the OSC round ends ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:
Caine123 wrote:one question, i make my first entry in this contest and wanna be sure it's all following the rules!

Fruity Compressor
Fruity EQ2
Fruity Stereo Enhancer
Fruity Limiter
Fruity Reverb 2

Yup ;)

As for the song being created specifically for OSC, AFAIK it means that you can't submit a song that was previously created for an album/compilation/competition etc, but you're free to do whatever you want with it after the OSC round ends ;)
awesome thanks :), i hope i can fix the click sound and/or a dev gives me a tip how to remove it so i can start submitting it finally before time runs out :(

Caine123 wrote:sorry another annoying clicking at the end of randomly snare hit..... with HP filter on and off is nearly the same...

Maybe give it a little bit of R in the adsr1 and/or 2 ?

Caine123 wrote:sorry another annoying clicking at the end of randomly snare hit..... with HP filter on and off is nearly the same...

Hi Caine123, I did try this patch just now and don't get the clicks. I know that is not that useful to you so here are a couple of things I might suggest:

Latest Beta (of course ... :P)
Bring the "slp" down a little on the envelopes (I'm not sure why you would need to max it but hey?)
Raise/lower the Mod values (1 is kinda neutral)
Activate the filters (Band and Notch) and sweep to fine tune the sound

and...
As always, check your levels

Hope that helps :)

Ladies and Gentlemen...

clicking no more :) I am pretty sure I got that evil son of a bug now. It's the filters. Not necessary the highpass, but any filter.
When a note is ending, typically effects keep processing until they do not produce any output themselves. Otherwise we'd just cut a delay or a reverb right in the middle and we'd get silence at once. Do you see where this is going? ;)

Of course I wasn't as clever with the filters cause they do not exactly produce much output after the generators stop producing sound. But beeing IIR filters, they DO have feedback, albeit a very short one. Enough to produce nasty clicks.

Here's the remedy:

http://www.tunefish-synth.com/beta16/vst24_tf3_x64.zip
http://www.tunefish-synth.com/beta16/vst24_tf3_x86.zip

And don't be afraid to tell me you still have clicks somewhere. I might go cry a little in the corner of my room but that is okay... I'll recover!

EDIT: oops, packaging mistake. If you loaded it before I edited, load them again ;)

Return to “Instruments”