Is there a serious competitor to GSI VB3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VB3

BlackWinny wrote:An emulation of an instrument is not only the best restitution of its sound... it is also the best restitution of how the sounds are managed in the workflow and especially by the envelopes.
+1

A true and carefully crafted virtual representation will trump samples but only if it's done properly; it's a lot harder to do! It took 5 iterations of Pianotek before I began to be convinced of the result, while I'd been working with convincing piano samples for years.

I have Organized Trio which isn't bad at all; how different is VB3? It was after all its precursor.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I just found today that DB-33 (Air Music Tech.) has been made available as 64-bit AU.
See this link: http://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1684 (http://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1684)
From first listening looks interesting and I'm going to consider for buying it, but I would appreciate any opinion by this thread...

crazydiamond7 wrote:I just found today that DB-33 (Air Music Tech.) has been made available as 64-bit AU.
See this link: http://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1684
From first listening looks interesting and I'm going to consider for buying it, but I would appreciate any opinion by this thread...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=443941

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Well, now GSI is working with hardwares. From their manual on gemini (a module/DSP) looks like VB3 2 won't be available on the DAW world..

"The VB3-II is the first of the 15 available synthesizers, it is the exact same software that powers the Crumar Mojo and presents the same parameter set. VB3-II is the result of 12 years of study, research, experimentation and development of the simulation of a vintage Hammond B3 organ. It is the evolution of the GSi VB3 1.4 which is still available as a plugin for digital audio workstations."

GSI's VB3 is my favourite Hammond vsti that I've tried. I recently picked up NI's Komplete 10 Ultimate and have the Vintage Organs plugin but haven't tried it yet. Will have a proper play at some point. Hammr+ also sounds great in the demos.

Shame GSI stopped developing VB3 in the vsti world. They had said there was going to be a new v2.0 and then this only became available in hardware instruments such as the Crumar Mojo.
Would love to see v2.0 of VB3 made available as a vsti!

Arguable the most cost effective B3 clone (if you're on a Mac, that is) is the Logic X/Mainstage 3 Vintage B3 Organ. Mainstage is only 30 bucks and the B3 clone sounds really good and has a lot of tweaking options.

In particular, the overdrive sounds quite convincing to my ears, unlike the Air DB-33.

/Joachim

The dude said he was still planing on releasing a v2 as a plugin pretty recently if I remember correctly, but that he was way behind schedule due to the hardware development.. I didn't read through all the pages, but I think vb3 is the best option for Hammond sounds on the market. I'd I need a transistor organ that's gonna be up front in the mix I go with The ones that Martinic released. For background stuff I usually just use the transistor stuff in vb3 since it is already loaded in all my writing templates. Also the Leslie in vb3, while very good, is done better by melda production's vintage rotary so I pull that out if I'm doing like a solo organ piece or something. 90% of the time I use vb3 for all my organ needs though and I write music pretty much all day every day.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

That's good to hear! Look forward to v2.0 of VB3!

Bumping this thread. Now with Acoustic Samples B5 and Arturia B3-V, there's a serious competitor?

Currently i got GSI VB-3 (since quite a long time now...), NI Vintage Organs (in Komplete 10) and now also Arturia B-3 V. If i find some time i will try to compare all those.

Before i got Komplete 10 and now the Arturia V-collection 5 upgrade GSi VB-3 was my only dedicated B3 emulation besides some "simple" sample based stuff (including a sample based library for my Yamaha Motif ES 7). With "simple" i mean no proper drawbars programming and some other stuff.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I bought B-5 Organ because I have great trust in Arno of Acoustic Samples and his meticulous attention to details and quality. I'm glad that I did. To my ears (they listened to my M-100 with 122 Leslie for many years), the sample modelled B-5 feels organic in a way that perhaps a purely modelled organ can't quite reach.

A bit like the difference between a deeply sampled grand compared to Pianoteq, perhaps.

B-5 has an 'alive' feel that, IMO, makes it very close to playing a real tonewheel Hammond. These are small nuances, to be sure, and probably not obvious in a mix. But VB3 version 2 is apparently never going to appear in Mac format, although a Win VST may appear eventually. But don't hold your breath…

AS B-5 is currently my go to organ.

/Joachim

I've not heard anything in the new Arturia demos that makes me consider it over B-5 or VB3.

Yesterday I had my first gig with Acoustic Samples B5.

I'm on Mac, and since loosing VB3 64 bit (Yes, i know that I could run it with 32-bit Lives, but I think that the technology should go on), I was using Logic/Mainstage Vintage Organs on Mainstage, and Native Instruments Vintage Organs on Ableton, both with their Leslies disabled and running them through MVintageRotary.

The B5 is amazing! It has the rawness... the gritness.. The Hammond sound that I like is the one from Greg Rowlie, Chester Thompson (Santana Band) and sometimes I need the more Pink Floydish Hammond sounds from Richard Wright. My previous options were good too, but this one is a step ahead both of them. It will certainly be my default Organ in the next months.

So, now, with Acoustic Samples B5, I would say that VB3 has a serious competitor.

:)

Now with version 2 (free for owners of version 1!), Arnaud Sicard of Acoustic Samples has given the B-5 Organ a deep going-over, along with a tweaked special version of UVI's superb Leslie sim and with a long list of control presets for more or less every hardware Hammond clone keyboard there is.

Being lucky enough to own a Crumar MOJO, I can now play and control the B-5 v2 from the MOJO. Drawbars, overdrive, contact clicks, etc. – everything is controllable from the keyboard. The only glitch I found was that the B-5 v2 Leslie speed changes didn't work as expected using the MOJO half-moon. After having alerted Arnaud to my problem, it didn't take him long to identify a simple enough remedy (just two CC numbers that had to be changed in the MOJO control preset), and it works perfectly now.

The MOJO has the VB3 v. 2 built-in, of course, but these days I use it exclusively as a controller. To my ears, the B-5 v3 is a tonewheel Hammond – ballsy, with every little detail present. A real work of art.

/Joachim

Spitfire, I agree with you completely!
I'll be reviewing B-5 v2 within a month. I'm really looking forward to it. :)
Spitfire31 wrote:Now with version 2 (free for owners of version 1!), Arnaud Sicard of Acoustic Samples has given the B-5 Organ a deep going-over, along with a tweaked special version of UVI's superb Leslie sim and with a long list of control presets for more or less every hardware Hammond clone keyboard there is.

Being lucky enough to own a Crumar MOJO, I can now play and control the B-5 v2 from the MOJO. Drawbars, overdrive, contact clicks, etc. – everything is controllable from the keyboard. The only glitch I found was that the B-5 v2 Leslie speed changes didn't work as expected using the MOJO half-moon. After having alerted Arnaud to my problem, it didn't take him long to identify a simple enough remedy (just two CC numbers that had to be changed in the MOJO control preset), and it works perfectly now.

The MOJO has the VB3 v. 2 built-in, of course, but these days I use it exclusively as a controller. To my ears, the B-5 v3 is a tonewheel Hammond – ballsy, with every little detail present. A real work of art.

/Joachim
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Return to “Instruments”