Sonic Academy Kick v2 Available now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kick - Nicky Romero Artist Edition Kick 2

am just catching up to this. i can trigger from my keyboard, so...pitch kickdrum notes? i.e. play kicks melodically (if so inclined)? (probably dumb question, but wanted to be sure...)

Yeah... You can turn key track on.

Hey Phil, what about psytrance style kicks?

If it's possible, can you show us how Kick can sound like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHIKsPnNT8 move to 1:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYK15ChVkoQ move to 1:00

Thanks,
Mario

Just bought it after skipping through the video. Looking forward to making wicked Jungle basslines (kicks too).

looks great will add it to my arsenal... (like i need more plugins LOL)...

bought it, checked it out...a bit, so far. very cool, logical to work with, and...sounds great. gonna overload on it this weekend!

Kick instantly made it's way into the first track I've made since I bought it. One of those plugins you didn't know you needed but now you wouldn't want to go without it.

Killer price too.

I've been working on a Reaktor ensemble that does this same thing :) I'm building ensembles in general that condense a lot of production tricks like this to basically simplify the production process, while I don't need this I think it's a great idea (obviously :P )

Up next will be my clap/snare ensemble full of tricks I know
a.k.a. Airyck Sterrett

I am interested in that Reaktor ensemble... I would rather have that than this Nicky Romero branded thing.
You are currently reading my signature.

I doubt, that you can even come close to the sound of Kick in an reaktor ensemble...

There is a lot more going on inside the plugin, than the simple controls let you guess...

I tried really hard to get something like this into Reason as there is no RE covering this topic (Punch BD isn´t capable of doing kicks like Kick) and gave up... no way!!!

But I wish you good luck even if I don´t see any sense in this effort other than pure interest... Kick is quite cheap and soundwise absolutely perfect with a perfect GUI imho...

Trancit wrote:I doubt, that you can even come close to the sound of Kick in an reaktor ensemble...

There is a lot more going on inside the plugin, than the simple controls let you guess...

I tried really hard to get something like this into Reason as there is no RE covering this topic (Punch BD isn´t capable of doing kicks like Kick) and gave up... no way!!!

But I wish you good luck even if I don´t see any sense in this effort other than pure interest... Kick is quite cheap and soundwise absolutely perfect with a perfect GUI imho...
Have you heard Monark? I don't question Reaktor anymore.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote: Have you heard Monark? I don't question Reaktor anymore.
Don´t get me wrong... I don´t doubt about the sonical capabilities of Reaktor, it can sound very good...

It´s about Kick: If you start to go the traditional way (pure pitchbending of a sinewave) you will never match the punch and thumb of Kick...
There seem to go on a lot under the hood and it will be very difficult to match this...

I am no expert technicalwise... perhaps, it´s something obvious and I am just to silly to figure this out, but for me (no matter, what plugin I use) it´s absolute impossible to come even close using the known methods... just try to match the pitchbended click from Kick (without the sample, just the sub used of the preset "Trance>Trance 02) in combination with the thumb of the low end...

I don´t get it... it´s like magic :-)

not sure about magic...but it IS well-thought out, well designed.

for me, the issue was how to write for it; i NEED at least kick and snare interaction. so i've been (mostly) writing parts on other plugins (i.e. battery 4), then copying the bass drum track to Kick...(and sometimes keeping the original sound too).

great plugin..!

My low end synth part of my ensemble is based around the 909 hardware schematics. The top is a set of sampled kick tops you can choose to mix with.

It's not a problem making a very solid low end with Reaktor; it really comes down to the tuning of the controls and how they interact with each other. Even just a basic pure sinewave is capable of devastating bass, don't think otherwise. Tone is a different story and can be generated from harmonics through saturation, waveshaping or many other means.... The thing I'm going for here with this ensemble is a tunable 909 style low end that you mix with a collection of tops (which I've either sampled or created, and possibly a generator of some sort). The ensemble isn't done yet but I'll post it on KVR when I'm finished with it. I've already got the low end synth part working (sounds REALLLLY punchy and thick) and I'm even mixing tops a bit right now. I just have a lot of control tweaking to do, a GUI and proper feedback for the controls and interface.

I just like the idea of making my own instruments when I can... Not trying to take away from this plugin or say mine is better or something. I'm just sharing that I had a similar idea and I'm working on an ensemble.
a.k.a. Airyck Sterrett

Phil Sonic Academy, i am normally not that type of guy who says "i will buy it if you include [put your feature here]", but this time i will :) :
seriously, 6 things that really would complete this plugin from my experience as a sounddesigner.

1. the sine body generator imo needs an adjustable delay in milliseconds, for the body content to perfectly align with the chosen click sample. a phase shift will _not_ do it (just before you ask), as it´s the start position that has to be editable as a delay in milliseconds [or as an alternative, in samples, if real fine tuning is needed), so that one can align the body portion according to the selected click sample. from my experience, the range in miliseconds varies within max. 10 milliseconds. that´s mostly way enough to "delay" the body content. this does _wonders_ to the attack of the whole kick.

2. the lenght slider below the display right now is hardwired to _all_ envelopes. which often is a nice thing and good to have, but alternatively, if the pitch env is already set up correctly, i often only would want to alter the length of the amplitue env. which often is also perfectly set up, but needs to be shortened, according to the bass content of the track you´re using the kick in.

3. for really detailled editing i would love to see 4 things:
- zooming on the env´s for easier finetuning
- [modifier key] click on a node point to allow movement of the node _only_ vertically
- and another [modifier] click to allow movement of the node _only_ horizontally
- [modifier key] click for fine tuning of an envelope´s node position

is there a chance for these things to be implemented?
because to _me_ this then would be the perfect kick construction plugin.
i can do all od this right now with various tools, that´s not the problem, but your plugin is fast, easy and convenient, so i could get rid of all the different stuff i would need, to do the same thing just in one plugin.

just asking, don´t feel bothered...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Return to “Instruments”