aalto license policy, BOUGHT! - cleared up thanks Madrona... now.. cpu usage?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.. I see they say that you can install it on as many computers as you like but use it on only one at a time. :?

Does that mean i could install it on my imac and macbook in the same private home, both mine, but physically not have aalto running on both at the same time? So I could work on a song on one, then save it and open it up on another and that's fine, all i have to make sure of doing is that if a host is open with aalto project that i close the host before opening the one on the other machine, right?

And then it says it "unobtrusively checks from time to time whether license condition is being followed". Are we talking phoning home? What happens if one of the two machines is never on the net? Does it disable aalto eventually completely? I know audio file engineering do that with wave editor, it phones home and if you have the net off it will eventually just stop working. I am hoping this isn't the same, as i have no desire to go on the net with snow leopard on the imac, outdated security and no virus scanner. I download everything on my laptop.

It also says it's not transferrable, so i am sure they will have a sale again soon as they have had a couple and i will happily by it then, as 100$ is too much (for me) for NFR but 50 is cool. It's a very unusual synth that can make timbres i haven't really heard anywhere else, just want to understand the licensing. I know tons of you use it here and thought it would be the quickest place to get a reply :)

Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy elaborated a bit on this on the madronalabs forums I believe.

I doubt it phones home, Randy seems to be one of those guys that don't believe in copy protection (like Klanghelm). You can safely install it on any computer, and use it at the same time (I can confirm this after a migration to another laptop). I think it's meant as a gentleman's agrement, you shouldn't be using on more computers at the same time.
By my knowledge, the only form of copy protection is that every copy is unique and as such is traceable to the original purchaser (if say, Randy would find Aalto on a warez site). No C/R or other trickery that I'm aware of.

Then again, this is my perception of things. I know some information on Madrona Labs website states contradicting information. I may be best to post this on their website and hear it from the man himself.

TheoM wrote: It also says it's not transferrable, so i am sure they will have a sale again soon as they have had a couple and i will happily by it then, as 100$ is too much (for me) for NFR but 50 is cool. It's a very unusual synth that can make timbres i haven't really heard anywhere else...
In the mean time check out AaltoCM. Only difference is you're limited to one voice. I found I'm content with the CM version. :wink:

One thing I love about Aalto is the ability to resize the GUI to any size! Great for my aging eyes. :love:

Hi, i do have a CM ipad subscription which entitles me to the plugins now, cool. One voice would kill me though! I suppose for fx and leads and stuff it's fine tho. Thanks :)

Sorry to bump this but notice madrona are here so maybe they can clarify, oh and please have an Xmas sale!

TheoM wrote:Xmas sale!
they are having one, just got the email a little while ago.

I'm sorry the wording about the licensing is a little confusing. Hopefully if you had a question you emailed me for a reply by now, that's definitely the quickest way to get a response from me.

So, Aalto doesn't "phone home." There is currently no verification by any technological means that the license terms are being respected. The language may be unclear because I am basically reserving the right to do that at a future date. But frankly, I doubt I ever will. It seems better for everyone if I spend my time on making cool sounds instead.

My approach is more carrot than stick-- you get to see your name on the plugin, and be reminded you are supporting me. Whereas if you found some pirated ish you would have to look at some other person's name up there. I should think about doing a quick startup flash that says "thanks for your support" up there maybe, because I truly am thankful for it.

The one time I found Aalto on a warez site, the registration was intact, and I found out it was someone who had paid using a stolen credit card. Is this what cracking is come to? Depressing.

As far as license transfers—it's more of a discussion than I have time to do well right now but the short version is, getting software out is a lot more like a service that I provide to you than a physical thing that you own. But I don't want to sell subscriptions and I don't think anyone else wants that either. I do want people to be happy and so if you got Aalto on impulse or something and found out it's just not working for you, get in touch and we will work something out.

And hey, Aalto is on sale from now until December 10 for $49!
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

madronalabs wrote:And hey, Aalto is on sale from now until December 10 for $49!
Shit, gotta purchase it now then, even if it doesn't have enough poly! :D

Thank you SO MUCH for that reply. And for $49, i can live with an NFR. I am sure i will get use out of it, when i want to do something experimental in my music, which is what impressed me about it. Cheers :)

Wow fast delivery. Thanks. What lovely unique sounds! But i am really starting to think my i7 macbook pro is not up to the task these days.

On any patch but the mono bass ones, i am getting absolutely entire core maxout with one instance of aalto hitting a few keys. Is this normal? can anyone chime in?

I don't see how i can use this, because to play it in realtime logic needs to go into it's true buffer mode (mine is 128), and all i get are pops and crackles cause it is literally maxing the core. I actually can't play anything but the bass..

NOPE.. awfully big bass maxes the core also for example. wow. Like one key. This can't be right. I think there might be some denormals at play here. Massive spike when changing presets also. Organ clean - i can only press two keys then cpu overload :(

wow this is sad, cause it sounds so unique. And the reverb is delicious.

Aalto does chomp some CPU. It is stated on the product page, too.

EvilDragon wrote:Aalto does chomp some CPU. It is stated on the product page, too.
But hang on, nothing is playing right now, i am not pressing one key on the organ patch, and the cpu is maxed out completely. I have let it sit idle since my last message and it won't go down. In logic specifically, that's not right. Logic releases cpu so that must be denormal (or at least i think).

And then some of the sequences, which are constantly playing sound and quote complex, are using 25% of a core.

Even if on the product page, i think i would have noticed it when i first tested it like 2 years back, but then again maybe not.

But everything says these days LOL it uses CPU. Monark, Diva, oxium, etc etc. I don't really take any notice of it. Just to be clear, i meant no offence and i am not complaining, i just wanted to know if it's normal. ie if other users with i7 laptops can play a few keys of it without pops and crackles.

Cheers :)

Hm, I don't get that behaviour with Aalto demo here in Reaper. It doesn't consume a core when idle, it dwindles around 0.4% CPU.

Could you try presets awfully big bass and simple organ and tell me what cpu you see? cheers mate!

Edit, just saw you're reply about idle, must definitely be mac denormals then. never seen a synth do this in Logic before.

Awfully Big Bass is 5-6% of CPU, Simple Organ is about 3.5%. This is a 3.0 GHz (3.4 GHz turbo) i5 here.

Return to “Instruments”