New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

Hello all,

Sorry, it's been a little while since the last update, I've had some freelance work to do. However, I'm getting ready for the next release over the weekend, which will fix lots of bugs and add a few new features. I think it's the biggest single improvement so far.

I'm waiting for KVR to approve my application for a developer forum, but no dice yet. I submitted my application just before the forum upgrade, so I'm not sure if that's what's holding it up.

Here's the changelist for the upcoming release, there will be more too:

- Knobs/waveform display now show summed modulation amounts for all parameters in dark blue, plus the currently visible modulation in light blue.
- Better use of SIMD instructions in the core engine for improved performance.
- Dragging files with capitalised extensions now works.
- If host supplies a bogus tempo (e.g. 0) tempo now defaults to 120bpm (instead of barfing).
- Off-by-one error that sometimes resulted in first grain being missed has been fixed.
- Loading a sample of more than 4mins no longer results in mismatched position marker (though I don't really recommend such long samples)
- Copy/paste is more robust if the 'clipboard.xml' file can't be written. In this case, The Mangle now falls back to in-memory copy/paste. If this happens you lose the ability to copy/paste between different instances of the plugin.
- Pasting sequences now correctly updates both the synth & the ui.
- Pasting sequences now correctly updates the number of steps.
- Bypass switches and 'lock' buttons on mod matrix now show state when matrix is initially shown (before they only showed correct state after a mouse-over).
- File open dialog now remembers the last folder you chose a file from and opens the same folder next time.
- Improved discoverability of waveform zoom through mouseover state.
- Behaviour of both impulse and non-impulse modes of Random generator improved. I'm aware it's not all that clear what impulse does, the manual's coming soon! @done
- If Random is in impulse mode with a Freq of 1, the Freq (i.e. number of grains to wait between new random outputs) acts as a random number of grains (because a random impulse every grain is pointless, doing the same as in non-impulse mode).
- LFOs now go much slower, down to 0.01Hz.
- LFO Sync & Random phase enabled. I will probably add an 'invert' option too. Should help with continuously moving positions.
- "Preview" buttons on slot select now correctly show if the slot is playing in toggle mode.
- CC Numbers in MIDI & Macro panel now react when you move a MIDI CC, i.e. 'MIDI-learn'.

I'm still getting a few reports of crashes when grain env attack or release are set to 0, but I can't reproduce them. Could anyone who experiences this email me, preferably with a crash log?

Awesome, good work fella :D
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

I think you Synth looks very sophisticated!

Has it got midi key controlled pitching? :wink:

Great news, having a lot of fun with it so far. Good to hear LFO sync is arriving.

Widdershins, will you be adding some distortion models in pre/post filter section? I believe this would be a good addition...unless it's already there, than ignore this post. :)

HcDoom wrote:Widdershins, will you be adding some distortion models in pre/post filter section? I believe this would be a good addition...unless it's already there, than ignore this post. :)
No distortion models currently, I'm just getting the features that are currently there polished for now. I may add something like that in a point update after I've reached 1.0.
Barefoot wrote:I think you Synth looks very sophisticated!

Thank you, and yes, it does! It's polyphonic and multitimbral, too.

I'd like to see modulation of modulation values, e.g. modify the strength of an LFO modulation of sample readout position over time using an envelope.
Another suggestion: Have the main volume envelope available as a modulation source.
And one final feature request: Don't know if this is possible and sensible... What about self-contained saving of presets that allow sharing presets without depending on the sample being present in the same location in the destination installation of The Mangle?

Time to mention that I really like The Mangle for what it does. Keep on the great work!

HiEnergy wrote:I'd like to see modulation of modulation values, e.g. modify the strength of an LFO modulation of sample readout position over time using an envelope.
Another suggestion: Have the main volume envelope available as a modulation source.
+1 on both these
and Great Work on this goodie! :D

mcnelson wrote:Awesome, good work fella :D
+1

Keep us informed please :-)

Barefoot wrote:I think you Synth looks very sophisticated!

Thank you, and yes, it does! It's polyphonic and multitimbral, too.[/quote]

Great!
You deserve my purchase! :)

A manual would be awesome for mangle!

have to get some sleep now, also timestretch feature adjusted to hiost bpm? i still miss this for granite.....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Haven't bought a new piece of software in a while, but I was ready to buy two minutes into the video. Really impressed.

e: Does the plugin automatically mute itself if the signal gets too loud? I've had some issues with the sound stopping/being sporadic.

TFF wrote:Haven't bought a new piece of software in a while, but I was ready to buy two minutes into the video. Really impressed.

e: Does the plugin automatically mute itself if the signal gets too loud? I've had some issues with the sound stopping/being sporadic.

me too. usually after changing samples but not always. it just stops and then will come back on for no reason and not even when a note is being triggered.

not sure what's up w/that.

sounds amazing and is fun when it's all working as intended.

logic pro X 10.06
OS X 10.8.5

TFF wrote:Haven't bought a new piece of software in a while, but I was ready to buy two minutes into the video. Really impressed.

Hello there, no it shouldn't do. I'm investigating this right now. What OS are you on? Are there any (roughly) repeatable steps you can do to cause the dropouts?

A few people have reported something similar, but I can't seem to reproduce it! I don't suppose you accidentally right-clicked on a slot (the buttons & sliders to the left) and soloed it did you?

The update is coming along really well, I'd just like to kill that bug, plus I'm still working on LFO tempo sync a little. I'm hoping to release the update this weekend...

edit: Ah, I see dayjob is using Logic X on 10.8. Which is basically my setup... so that blows my idea it's an OS thing. I'm going to do some serious stress testing this weekend and see if I can get to the bottom of this.
Last edited by widdershins on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”