Monark is seriously impressive.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark

robojam wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:id love it if they made a Arp Oddyssey next.
Or a whole family of classic synths. I'm sure people would love to see a new Pro-53 too.
But can you imagine the complaints? "It doesn't sound like the old Pro-53, they just can't get that crunchy sound anymore…"

EvilDragon wrote:
sqigls wrote:
patcub wrote:How does Monark compare to Diva?
at the moment? $49.50 VS $179 :p

At the moment? Minimoog vs Minimoog, Jupiter 6, Jupiter 8, 2 revisions of MS-20, Alpha Juno, along with JP-8000 and OB-X in the latest beta. I think the price difference is very much justified. :D
true dat

man, breaking my balls, I've been stopping myself from buying Diva, but it's bound to happen sooner or later. Can't argue with a $50 minimoog though :P

sqigls wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
sqigls wrote:
at the moment? $49.50 VS $179 :p

At the moment? Minimoog vs Minimoog, Jupiter 6, Jupiter 8, 2 revisions of MS-20, Alpha Juno, along with JP-8000 and OB-X in the latest beta. I think the price difference is very much justified. :D
true dat

man, breaking my balls, I've been stopping myself from buying Diva, but it's bound to happen sooner or later. Can't argue with a $50 minimoog though :P
I will wait for Diva (maybe next year if I need it).
I purchased Monark and DCAM synth instead. DCAM has 3 synths and mega combinator (Fusor)! Fusor is fantastic, the sound rivals Diva IMO (for me at least) and the modulation is crazy. If you want to spend more, download the demo (it is still on sale I think). The Pads are disappointing in Strobe and Cypher but I loaded Fusor and tried the pads (Aha! so they kept the greatest thing in the end!). Lovely Analog sounds all of them. With Monark I'm set for a long analog voyage!

monark is fantastic. I have a Moog Source and its really close. I actually wish there was a little controller box for it...

I do hope they make a prophet 5 now....
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Diva's current Moog model struggles to reproduce the same amount of bass at certain settings. When that's not the case they can closely match each other on many levels. The other main difference is there's a more direct "in your face" punchy quality Monark's envelopes impart which, IMO, shares more in common with analogue hardware, and Diva would sometimes require compression / transient shaping to better match that.

The flip side is that's partly what makes Monark sound slightly "aggressive" at times, and it might struggle a bit more than it should to flip between a more "rounded" sound and the edgey sound it has. So perhaps not perfection yet. But it's getting closer :)

Monark also drifts a lot more at default settings. That's why (EG) some will have noticed you're playing a bass sound and then the timbre changes and it starts to lose the bass, particularly when all 3 oscillators are engaged and using similar wave shapes. Diva chooses a more controlled and consistent approach by default, which means it avoids those sorts of annoyances. The disadvantage is it means less movement in the voice, where Monark might come closer to some peoples idea of VCO hardware. You can go into the trimmers and adjust things in Diva (voice drift and variance options), but it creates the overall impression of things being slightly more "locked down" in Diva otherwise.

I also think Monark does a better job in the feedback/distortion department (plus it offers the 2 types), and it'd be nice to see some more options in Diva (other than the Rotary FX drive ;) ).

Other than that, Diva has a lot more stuff, and some of the above differences might be said to work in favour of being polyphonic, depending on what you wanted.. :)

PAK wrote:
patcub wrote:<good post>
Yes. I think it does have that aggressive quality to it. And as others have said. It sounds alive.

I always find the true test for any VA is to have a single oscillator switched on and then play with the filter. This is were 90% of them fail. They sound thin and uninteresting. Monark on the other hand still sounds thick and ready to burst out with organic sonic flavours.

a minimoog was mono originally so I am using it for leads and those that want to use it for a pad are cool users for wanting to do that but in the end the real purpose of a minimoog is to play leads not pads so to me the idea of what Monark provides is a specialized piece of kit.

The fact they have made it possible for users to play it with more polyphony ONLY if they have Reaktor makes it more expensive because you then need to buy reaktor so price savings is also an illusion on that front guys.

The mono version is cool enough for users like me but to tell you the truth they are going to have to put komplete on sale before I will consider buying it anyway and I am probably going to want to wait and see what is in k10 because I can snag other software that I want on sale now and probably do that for a good while so now is probably not the best time to kompete for business. PUN intended.

yessongs wrote:The mono version is cool enough for users like me but to tell you the truth they are going to have to put komplete on sale before I will consider buying it anyway
The 2013 sale ends in 2 days.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

IMHO I like having both. Monark is more aggressive and faster. It holds the bass together better too, it's more solid. Diva sounds a little bigger to me and more vibrate, but there are a lot of great distortion tones you can get from Monark as as I said it's got a tighter feel which makes it easier in a mix for me.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Diva has that killer organ patch

bill45 wrote:Diva has that killer organ patch
I thought for the second you said the 'Thriller organ patch'.

I still have a couple more days until I get to use Monark. Never even demo'ed it, but you all have said good things about it - I'm sure I need another synth like I need another hole in my head. But you can never have enough bullets.

SODDI wrote:I still have a couple more days until I get to use Monark. Never even demo'ed it, but you all have said good things about it - I'm sure I need another synth like I need another hole in my head. But you can never have enough bullets.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398135

just check those sounds, it does have a certain "something"

There's been so much talk about it lately, I finally gave in and snagged it while it's cheap (like gunpowder, so the Joker would like it). It's definitely got some snap and sizzle, doesn't it? CPU hit isn't that much, really...looks like it never goes over 2% here. Nice addition to the tool box. There, now I did buy one new synth in 2013. 8)
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Like it

Return to “Instruments”