Which synth is killing Sylenth1?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

pinkpanther wrote:
murnau wrote:
ATS wrote:It for sure sounds amazing. I laughed when someone said Zebra 2 "kills it". Zebra is the most overrated anything in the world. It doesn't touch the sound quality of Sylenth1.
i was about to comment but its really not worth it. :D
Beware the fanboys :lol: Synleth1 is popular because it has a million of presets available and it's sound designers that keep it alive. Lennar seems dead.

And it was simply pathetic to see a dev jump into this thread because someone didn't like his product quality.

I like his product quality just fine. Zebra is a good, no great synth. Just not as good/great as KVR makes it out to be.

Isn't it weird how when people bash Sylenth1 and those who use it like crazy no one at KVR blinks. But say one bad thing about their precious and the all of KVR goes crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-8CSa9xj8
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Isn't it weird how when people bash Sylenth1 and those who use it like crazy no one at KVR blinks. But say one bad thing about their precious and the all of KVR goes crazy.
You're right.
It's all just personal bias, derived from personal experiences.
Even as children we did the same things.
GI Joe with or without kungfu grip?

If it's not so great why did Hans Zimmer use Zebra for The Dark Knight Rises movies? He also used it for Inception and says 98% of the sound is Zebra. Hans can afford to buy any synth software or hardware. If you don't like it as much as another that's fine but don't say it's just KVR making it out to be great. I also know EDM producers make a living with Zebra as part of their mixes. Many magazines have revied Zebra and said it doesn't sound like software.

It's like saying Formula One cars are no good for racing only the race forums like them and no formula One driver would use one.

For me there was no point in getting Sylenth1 when I already had Zebra but I did want a decent supersaw and DIVA 1.3 destroys the competition for most things and now supersaw.

I hope Sylenth1 keeps selling and we see more from the maker and he keeps it compatible with all DAWS.

To me, Sylenth is a bit like a Roland Juno in the sense that its limitations are considerable, but its sweet spots are large and it's easy to get agreeable sounds out of it. I do rather like the filters and the way they respond to the envelopes. The top end has a nice fizzy, airy quality that makes for really good highpass sweeps. There are other synths I use more often and that have much broader palettes, but when I stumble across a Sylenth patch that's just right for the occasion, I'm glad I have it.

I have actually used it for bass on a song or two. The bottom end may not be huge, but I don't usually gravitate to really subby synth basses - my bass lines are often moving around too much to work with those kinds of sounds.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

ATS wrote: Isn't it weird how when people bash Sylenth1 and those who use it like crazy no one at KVR blinks. But say one bad thing about their precious and the all of KVR goes crazy.
Most of KVR didn't pay the slightest attention... and it is unlikely even one person went crazy...

ATS wrote:
Tronam wrote:
ATS wrote:I laughed when someone said Zebra 2 "kills it". Zebra is the most overrated anything in the world. It doesn't touch the sound quality of Sylenth1.
I'm intrigued by this conclusion. What do you mean by "sound quality"?
how good it sounds. I guess you could say the less "cheap sounding" the better. Ever hear some of these weaker synths, some free ones, some really low priced ones? They have a "cheap" sound to them. The farther in the other direction is what I call "sound quality".
That's pretty vague. So, Zebra is "cheap sounding"?

I don't quite get, where this "Sylenth vs. Zebra" thing comes from. Imo, Sylenth does the typical "trance" sounds much better than Zebra, but Zebra is capable of many excellent sounds Sylenth could only dream of. They complement each other rather than compete.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

ATS wrote:It for sure sounds amazing. I laughed when someone said Zebra 2 "kills it". Zebra is the most overrated anything in the world. It doesn't touch the sound quality of Sylenth1.
That's why Hans Zimmer uses it and praise it...for it's cheap sound. Hollywood doens't have money for better synths so they use crap as Zebra. ;) ''That was sarcastic answer, just in case some low iq forum user understands my message as not sarcastic one''

When someone perceives a lack of quality in something without any real legitimate way to describe it, they use meaningless words like "cheap" to describe it (or conversely "warm", "crisp", "phat" when something is of higher perceived quality). Since "cheap" is a vague relativistic term, you can't really call them out on it.

In any case about 99% of the time it boils down to bad sound design skill.

If you can't describe something using real words, it's probably your fault that it sounds bad. And conversely, if you can't find real words to describe why something sounds so much better, it might not actually be better.

There, I said it. :hihi:

Why I have the feeling that we are complaining about too many great synths in existence!
Zebra, Sylenth1, Diva ...etc. All are great synths. Choose what you like and don't say "Miss Venezuela is ugly" because she is not, maybe she is not your favorite, but sure she is beautiful!
Now which one deserves to be Miss World? Every one of them has stunning beauty! We can't sleep with them all! But we can buy all the synths that we desire! :love: Like a Sultan from the Ottoman Empire!

Peace!

EnGee wrote:Now which one deserves to be Miss World? Every one of them has stunning beauty! We can't sleep with them all!
this is very difficult to accept :lol:

carrieres wrote:
EnGee wrote:Now which one deserves to be Miss World? Every one of them has stunning beauty! We can't sleep with them all!
this is very difficult to accept :lol:
Well, it is impossible! This is what I meant. But buying a synth is possible ;-)

HcDoom wrote:That's why Hans Zimmer uses it and praise it... blah blah
I know you were poking fun, but so am I...

maybe he used it for one particular case and hasn't found a use for it ever since. Maybe he layered Zebra with Sylenth and 42 oboe players, sampled it with a Casio SK-1 and imposed a sharp percussive envelope on it. Maybe he used its white noise generator for dithering. Maybe he opened the DLL as raw data, ran it through a hardware comb filter that he had custom built for the purpose, and then sold the filter for beer money. (A lot of very good beer I'm sure.)

ATS wrote:Zebra is a good, no great synth. Just not as good/great as KVR makes it out to be.
Go back to your room.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

recursive one wrote:I don't quite get, where this "Sylenth vs. Zebra" thing comes from. Imo, Sylenth does the typical "trance" sounds much better than Zebra, but Zebra is capable of many excellent sounds Sylenth could only dream of. They complement each other rather than compete.
One thing I don't understand about these synth comparisons is the idea that some people think all possible sounds should be made with just one synth. I think it's 100% ok to have instruments that do just drum sounds or bass or what ever.

And the real question is not what IS the best, but what you LIKE the best.
Each person can choose the products they like.

Return to “Instruments”