Which synth is killing Sylenth1?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

recursive one wrote:I don't quite get, where this "Sylenth vs. Zebra" thing comes from. Imo, Sylenth does the typical "trance" sounds much better than Zebra, but Zebra is capable of many excellent sounds Sylenth could only dream of. They complement each other rather than compete.
+1 to this.....a brilliant post. :tu: (Zebra layered with Sylenth is awesome times 2)

Today's subject boys and girls is Apples vs Oranges.........discuss......... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

sl1914 wrote:One thing I don't understand about these synth comparisons is the idea that some people think all possible sounds should be made with just one synth. I think it's 100% ok to have instruments that do just drum sounds or bass or what ever.

And the real question is not what IS the best, but what you LIKE the best.
Each person can choose the products they like.
You're making too much sense. This is KVR!

"Quality" is the one I don't get. People use that one like it's objective, not subjective. Distortion, saturation, bitcrushing, pitch instability, etc. are all artifacts -- objectively, they are bad quality.

It's okay not to like a particular sound, or synth, but don't pretend it is objectively better than one you don't like.

Zebra and Sylenth are a horrible comparison. Zebra sounds rather bland / stale / nuetral in comparison. I think that Diva, especially with the new osc and filter, to be a good alternative option for comparison that is probably better than Sylenth, however a good amount of third party presets are still what's missing for Diva.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:Zebra and Sylenth are a horrible comparison. Zebra sounds rather bland / stale / nuetral in comparison. I think that Diva, especially with the new osc and filter, to be a good alternative option for comparison that is probably better than Sylenth, however a good amount of third party presets are still what's missing for Diva.
don't people get tired of making these sort of comments? everything is subjective. for me, zebra & sylenth1 were a great team. and personally, i prefer zebra to diva...but that's just me. and you're just you.

and EVERYONE has an opinion. 8)

fisherKing wrote:and EVERYONE has an opinion. 8)
That's what you think...

:D

djanthonyw wrote:Zebra and Sylenth are a horrible comparison. Zebra sounds rather bland / stale / nuetral in comparison. I think that Diva, especially with the new osc and filter, to be a good alternative option for comparison that is probably better than Sylenth, however a good amount of third party presets are still what's missing for Diva.
Total opposite for me. Sylenth is so stale and bland for my taste that it quickly becomes fatiguing to my ears after a short while. For techno and certain types of trance, though, it can be just what the doctor ordered. I've used it in dance music with success, but anything else that I have needed more warmth and emotion from, Sylenth would be the absolute LAST synth I would ever reach for.

Zebra's initialised sound is bland and tasteless. That's exactly what you want in a synth as potentially complex as Zebra. You get to decide in what ways the sound will have character and what ways it won't. Most people are used to having these decisions made for them by the character and execution of the synth structure.

Zebra is really more like making your own synth from scratch.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Regnas wrote:Seriously, which synth do you think has killed sylenth1 in sound quality? Anyway, it seems like Sylenth1 still rules the vsti world, what do you think?
No synth is killing or has killed another synth! And no synth rules the world!

Sendy wrote:Zebra's initialised sound is bland and tasteless. That's exactly what you want in a synth as potentially complex as Zebra. You get to decide in what ways the sound will have character and what ways it won't. Most people are used to having these decisions made for them by the character and execution of the synth structure.

Zebra is really more like making your own synth from scratch.
Yes, I get this about Zebra, but I've demoed it many many times, and listened to just about every demo of a sound set that exists. One of the latest ones from Aiyn Zahev, and I compared the sound of his Zebra demo to Sylenth and I think there is really a big difference. I'm not just talking about Sylenth vs Zebra though. I just don't think Zebra is the best choice for dance music due to it's lack of thickness / warmth or whatever someone wants to call it. It seems best suited for recreating natural sounds or for use in scenarios that require a lot breathing room like film scores. Thankfully there is Diva though.
You are currently reading my signature.

I am with ATS and djAnthony as even the Dark Zebra demo video can't convince me. I have spent more on Zebra banks than i care to admit and even one sound has not made it to one song, and hundreds and hundreds of $$ on banks. I keep trying. The last track i was using a lead from zebra for the first time, and i had to remove it as it sounded detached from the other sounds.

If something was majority zebra, different story. That would probably work. I am surprised more people can't hear it. A synth can have every feature known to mankind but i judge on the fundamental sound. I can get no emotional response from zebra at all.. even the dark zebra demo video, or the dark knight soundtrack for that matter. I could pick the massive use of zebra. I can play a pad in sylenth and get goose pimples right up my arm. So who cares if it has one tenth of the features, it sounds awesome.

Sylenth, don't like the dev, love the synth. Zebra, love the dev, just can't get into the synth and have tried for ten years. Thankfully there's Diva.

Well, nobody can say you didn't give it a chance :) I have to admit, for me Zebra is more of a cerebral synth. It's great for abstracts and detailed, highly specified sounds you can layer onto other things. For instant emotional wowness I reach for Diva much more often, especially since the update.

That said, the spectral pads Zebra can do still wow me, even with Diva in the fold(er).
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

And just to be clear, diva sounds ten x better than sylenth to me. Actually, that's a great idea Sendy, i could probably use Zebra for all my experimental stuff, and efx. That would probably work out well!

(Diva is actually my favourite sounding synth available overall, it's just always been a tad out of my budget, i had finally saved for it then the charity auction came up and i went overboard with that so am skint).

For example listening to Arksun's diva bank demos actually gives my entire body chills. It sounds amazing.

foosnark wrote:
fisherKing wrote:and EVERYONE has an opinion. 8)
That's what you think...

:D
actually, it's NOT my opinion. i read this on the internet... 8)

Stop it! You're killing Christmas with your question!!

All the synths in this thread suck.

Return to “Instruments”