Which synth is killing Sylenth1?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

Even if Spire uses the same amount of CPU as Sylenth, it still sounds thin and ultra clean compared to Sylenth. I just tried the demo again after selling it and my feelings haven't changed on that. I still think Z3TA is the best option and is actually closest sounding to a Virus (which is actually what I wanted Sylenth for originally). May buy Sylenth again if it's updated to 64 bit though as there is still nothing that sounds like it. Spire surely is not an alternative, not even close.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:Even if Spire uses the same amount of CPU as Sylenth, it still sounds thin and ultra clean compared to Sylenth. I just tried the demo again after selling it and my feelings haven't changed on that. I still think Z3TA is the best option and is actually closest sounding to a Virus (which is actually what I wanted Sylenth for originally). May buy Sylenth again if it's updated to 64 bit though as there is still nothing that sounds like it. Spire surely is not an alternative, not even close.
i hear you, but...i think spire is the 21st-century sylenth; i.e. not the same sound, but a more-modern version. and i like that...

z3ta +2; i returned it, it never played well in logic 9; sync issues, etc. personally, i think spire blows it away.

all of this is subjective (which is what makes it fun).

Yes, but if a more modern version means thinner sounding, I'm all set with that.

djanthonyw wrote:Yes, but if a more modern version means thinner sounding, I'm all set with that.
seriously tho...spire is also: harder, denser; pads are definitely deeper. there's more animation, more definition. anyway, it's the music that matters, and good music with S1 trumps bad music with spire. am NOT missing S1 (but again, may add it back later). 8)

I am curious how Dune 2 will sound, and behave in terms of CPU. Should be out any month now... 8)

djanthonyw wrote:I still think Z3TA is the best option and is actually closest sounding to a Virus
As a long-time owner of both, I would say that, yeah, Z3TA1/2 is the soft synth that reminds me the most of my Viruses.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Why all the hassle about this? Sylenth1 can't do things which Spire can and Spire can't do things which sound as good with Sylenth1. So, on end...it's best to have both of them since they compliment each other perfectly! Add Diva and Zebra to those two and you are good to go for making music in next 100 years!!!

If you added all that, my quad core would die.......................

TForce Alpha plus from Mastrcode. That can kill Sylenth according to my ears.
Music is the essence of life.

https://www.srvmusicmaker.com/

djanthonyw wrote:Yes, but if a more modern version means thinner sounding, I'm all set with that.
You don't use a raw output from a synth, do you? I don't remember when I used just a plain oscillator sound, tbh.

Without reading all these responses...I read that if Sylenth1 was made to do all the things most people want (like PWM for one) it would suffer in some other sense.

It is fine-tuned a certain way, and till it is re-written, that's it...all you get. :)

Igro wrote:
You don't use a raw output from a synth, do you? I don't remember when I used just a plain oscillator sound, tbh.
Generally you want to use options that are closest to the end result, similar to using a piano VI for example. The idea isn't to rely on a bunch of EQing and 'fixing it in post'.

Even taking this into consideration, listen to audio demos from both synths by the same preset design... Aiyn Zahev would be a good example. By comparison Spire sounds thin, thin, thin.... oh, and did I mention thin? I'm sure he knows what he is doing in post production too. Yes, it sounds very hi-fi, and I'm not saying the tone sounds bad, but it's thin... to the point of listening to it after a while hurts my ears.

djanthonyw wrote:
Igro wrote:
Generally you want to use options that are closest to the end result, similar to using a piano VI for example. The idea isn't to rely on a bunch of EQing and 'fixing it in post'.

Even taking this into consideration, listen to audio demos from both synths by the same preset design... Aiyn Zahev would be a good example. By comparison Spire sounds thin, thin, thin.... oh, and did I mention thin? I'm sure he knows what he is doing in post production too. Yes, it sounds very hi-fi, and I'm not saying the tone sounds bad, but it's thin... to the point of listening to it after a while hurts my ears.
I got your point. But this synth IS a sort of digital perfection. Some ppl likes it, some not. I don't have it. What you are referring to thinness, is just a linear symmetrical sound (if no effect were used). But that's not always bad. Sometimes you want to add something digital, lifeless, robotic. I use NI Razor for that.

This digital perfection is just the same as the contemporary EDM music. Lifeless. Still phat, veeeeery phat, but lifeless.
Last edited by Igro on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

I don't think anything is killing Sylenth1...

Examigan wrote:Without reading all these responses...I read that if Sylenth1 was made to do all the things most people want (like PWM for one) it would suffer in some other sense.

It is fine-tuned a certain way, and till it is re-written, that's it...all you get. :)
Good point, and valid for most synths imo. That's why you'll never be able to fully replace one with another, because it always will be different.

Also a question whether there's not made too much hype about certain synths like Sylenth and the Virus. I haven't tested either of these, but often read that they're not so much better than others, but have a hype in certain music styles, have a lot of presets, or are simply used much.

Return to “Instruments”