Best Virtual Guitar Samples or Plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kewlio wrote:i've belatedly come across this post. i am a guitarist who is broadening their range and taking up the keyboard. in the process i have also been exploring sampling and - specific to this discussion - 'fake guitar' samples. although i have much further to go so far i have been impressed by pettinhouse and efimov and EAG ac.gtr. not only for their sounds but their interface design as well. the point that was made about the importance of the user experience in terms of learning curve and ease of workflow, can not be overstated.

of note i have to say thank you BBFG# for the heads up for indiginus. i found the samples very realistic (the symphony looks interesting as well) but what really came as a shock was the price. a nice find :clap:
Don't forget Shreddage II. You really owe it to yourself to check it out.

Was playing through the system, doing a comparison of the amp sims and after several attempts finally decided to use two of the 'clean samples' from SampleTank's Electric Guitar 2 libraries.
I just needed something good enough to not add to the amps I was actually trying.
So, it really depends on whether or not you're using this outboard gear to complete the sound. I think any sample would be good if used in the right context for the effect you want from it.

(Btw, I used a clean strat and a gretch jazz for the raw sample to process through Guitar Rig5; TH2 producer; and Revalver HSP. (I still haven't been able to get Amplitube3 to load up but after today, it better be good).

Impact soundworks has a new Hollow body
http://impactsoundworks.com/products/gu ... ic-guitar/

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you know, that there are a lot of Acou6tics demos online now.
http://vir2.com/instruments/acou6tics
Cheers,
Benjamin
Virtual Instrument Developer @ Vir2 / Bigfish Audio

dynamitec wrote:Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you know, that there are a lot of Acou6tics demos online now.
http://vir2.com/instruments/acou6tics
Since I caught you here, let me ask. Are there going to be any updates to Electri6ity?

I am interested in purchasing a copy but after reading in another thread how the harmonics were kind of funky and lack of manual updates/other fixes, I am kind of hesitant to dive in.

Can you send me a link to the discussion with the issues? I'll look into it. There are many happy Electri6ity customers and only very few complaints so far, that's why there haven't been any newer updates yet.
Cheers,
Benjamin

Btw. Acou6tics is shipping on March, 4th. The website have been updated with a lot of new demos and tutorial videos.
Last edited by dynamitec on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Benjamin

Check out the newest Acou6tics MIDI Demonstration Videos:

El Toro (by Javi Perera):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZTvDSnczfg

Carnival (by Javi Perera):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIBqZLooVV4
Cheers,
Benjamin

Here are two new Vir2 Acou6tics demos - made with the 1.1 update which will be released soon. It's an incredibly detailed mockup of Baden Powell's Solitude On Guitar by Przemyslaw Kopczyk. The background hiss/ambience you hear, by the way, is added as an effect to mimic the original recording even more.

Original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJAA4b-67Ik
Mockup - Acou6tics Nylon (Finger Sustains):
http://www.benjaminstelzer.de/acou6tics ... opczyk.mp3
Mockup - Acou6tics Nylon (Finger Nail Sustains):
http://www.benjaminstelzer.de/acou6tics ... opczyk.mp3
Cheers,
Benjamin

Hey folks,

Honestly, in terms of strum mechanics and natural automated solo articulations, AAS Strum Acoustics is by far the best acoustic guitar plugin I've ever used. It's truly a pleasure to play it once you pass the learning curve, which is minimum: Play solo notes to solo, play notes simultaneously to play chords, play C4/D4 to strum up and down whenever you want to build a rhythm.

You don't have to change screens or open different tabs to make it work. This is a big plus, for me.

Most other guitar vsti's requires you to use different tabs or modes to play different parts of the same song, I mean, if you want to solo, you have to use the solo tab, if you want to strum, if you're required to use the strum tab...This REALLY sucks in terms of workflow and usability.

A message to all vsti companies reading this: If you want your product to sound natural, you MUST find new workflow solutions to make people play it naturally. I mean, when you play a real guitar, you don't switch instruments to solo, pick or strum it. You just do whatever you want whenever you want.

Anyway, back to AAS Strum Acoustics...I guess it's so nice to play it because it's a physically modeled, not sample based, so its behavior is not dependent on how samples may or may not fit together.

Once you learn how it works, it's simply a matter of playing it like you would play a guitar. This is important: No guitar vsti will sound right if you can't play like you would play a guitar. You have to think like a guitarist in order to get any sounds out of them.

The bad part is that it lacks some options to make it sound more natural, like string and finger noises. Imperfections are part of any real world instruments. If you run it through a tape or tube saturation plugin plus some nice ambiance reverb, it sounds much nicer, though. Another bad thing is that it doesn't have midi-out, which is a real let down; I'd love to use it's fluid mechanics to control other instruments.

Real Guitar 3 comes second in terms of natural and fluid strumming mechanism. You have to change modes to solo, though, which sucks. Its solo mechanics and sounds are not that good, but if you're looking for a good strum, you may want to check out Real Guitar 3. It's got midi-out option, so you can use it to control, as an example, your Kontakt libraries, which is a big plus.

Spicy Guitar, a free physical modeling acoustic guitar vsti is also pretty good in the strum/workflow department. Whenever you play a chord with it, lets say, using fingers 1,2 and 3, just alternate between finger 1 and 2 for up and down strokes. Very good mechanics, if you ask me. Its legato mode sound pretty natural while soloing as well. Although, it's not as good as Strum Acoustics in physical modeling department, but it's great, specially considering that it is a free software.

Ample Sound's guitars sound really really great, but their workflow is very complex to play it in real time. Their strum mechanics is awful, in my opinion.

So, so far, I haven't managed to find a real complete guitar plugin...I mean, one is good for strumming, another is good for soloing, another has awesome sounds, another's got a great workflow...

Generally, I'd say to all companies out there trying to create guitar vst's to learn from Strum Acoustics and Spicy Guitar in terms of unobtrusiveness of workflow.

That's my two cents.

Cheers,

Raf.
Last edited by RafaelMorgan on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AAS is very easy and quite intuitive to me also. I do think having real knowledge of the fretboard and ranges help quit a bit though. Rarely does it make 'those corrections' on me and the few times it does, I see them and change my playing to escape the 'correction stutter' that can happen.

What is lacking in Strum is more variety in tone. It does a lot quite well, although the amped guitars seemed to be not quite real enough to my liking. Running them through amp-sims can often blow them out of proportion though.

I also remember something from the many guitarists I've played with and my own collection of guitars (now gone, I only have one cheap Yamaha outfitted with SD-JB PU which rarely sees the light of day anymore) - but anyway, guitarists rarely have one guitar, even of the same type, make, and model.

Somehow, I think the same will be true for us also. Doubtful that one set of samples, players, modelers will ever do it for us, especially when using a guitarists mind set to acheive it.

Just noticed this thread. Has anyone mentioned StrumMaker IV by Indiginus?
Check out the videos. Only $46.

Musical Gym wrote:Just noticed this thread. Has anyone mentioned StrumMaker IV by Indiginus?
Check out the videos. Only $46.
I like the tone of the Indiginus Guitars quite a bit, (acoustics especially) haven't tried the Strum version though.

Hello Raf
RafaelMorgan wrote:Spicy Guitar, a free physical modeling acoustic guitar vsti is also pretty good in the strum/workflow department. Whenever you play a chord with it, lets say, using fingers 1,2 and 3, just alternate between finger 1 and 2 for up and down strokes. Very good mechanics, if you ask me. Its legato mode sound pretty natural while soloing as well. Although, like Strum Acoustics, it's not as good as Strum Acoustics in physical modeling department, but it's great, specially considering that it is a free software.
I guess that at this place you wanted to write Real Guitar 3.

And I totally agree with your review on AAS Strum Acoustic. The full version (called GS-1) is really an awesome instrument (and sometimes it is sold at 50%, one or two times per year) with beautiful sounds and a very handful conception to switch instantaneously between solo, strums, palm muted chords, etc. without any bothering tab. And even the more simple Strum Acoustic Session (only $100) which uses the same engine and the same conception is wonderful to have an excellent sounding guitar with all that is needed for beginners for yet very good first songs, even quite complex. The best way to go to the full version GS-1 (with sometimes a discount of 30%) after one year for example.

I love all the products made by AAS.

Cheers
BlackWinny
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”