Why do so many think if a synth is old it's no good anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why do so many think if a synth is old or no longer being developed it's no good anymore?

I never understood this. Am I missing something?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Not me. Albino3 FTW.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

What is old for a synth?

Zebra just had it's 10th birthday and it is still fairly popular...

I think a synth like Sylenth1 is a good example. A lot of people say they don't use it anymore because it is not being developed further. What difference does it make? The synth still works and sounds great.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

But so many people still make Sylenth1 vs ... comparisons :wink:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

ATS wrote:I think a synth like Sylenth1 is a good example. A lot of people say they don't use it anymore because it is not being developed further.
Sorry, but isn't that stated a bit "out of the blue" ?
Where do a lot of people say that ?

ATS wrote:I think a synth like Sylenth1 is a good example. A lot of people say they don't use it anymore because it is not being developed further. What difference does it make? The synth still works and sounds great.
That's a bit different because I suspect 99% of those threads are 64bit driven.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

we like shiny stuff.
like magpies.

I still use Pro-53, FM7, Absynth 3 and Albino 3.
They are old but still great at what they do.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

ATS wrote:... no longer being developed...
I think the answer is in your question. The sound may be good, but is something else filling it's need with a better browser, filters and more routing possibilities? I have a couple I never use anymore and really, I wasn't as excited with them as I thought I would be since they were suppose to replace some hardware from the same company, but didn't quite reach the mark. And then there are the ones that are great but never got the updates and upgrades to work in a newer OS. If nothing else does the job though and it continues to work in newer systems, I still use it, but it might take on more of a supporting role than a starring one.

I don't recall seeing anyone say that if a synth is old it's no longer good.

vurt wrote:we like shiny stuff.
like magpies.
They're not *that* shiny.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

ATS wrote:I think a synth like Sylenth1 is a good example. A lot of people say they don't use it anymore because it is not being developed further. What difference does it make? The synth still works and sounds great.

That is not so clear cause lots of people have switched to 64 bit. Logic X requires 64 bit so those people cannot use Sylenth...

Mushy Mushy wrote:Not me. Albino3 FTW.
WORD

ATS wrote:Am I missing something?
yes, we talking about virtual instruments not hardware and as said before most people simply want a seamless integration with their top 64bit DAW atm (without bitbridge or other workarounds).
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Instruments”