Why do so many think if a synth is old it's no good anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:
Teksonik wrote: Was Vincent Van Gogh an Artist ? At the time of his death "His work was then known to only a handful of people and appreciated by fewer still."

Now his works are worth Millions....
some people will buy any old shit :hihi:
True....I'm sure Miley Cyrus will sell a ton of albums...... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Teksonik wrote: Was Vincent Van Gogh an Artist ? At the time of his death "His work was then known to only a handful of people and appreciated by fewer still."

Now his works are worth Millions....
some people will buy any old shit :hihi:
True....I'm sure Miley Cyrus will sell a ton of albums...... :lol:
In 100 years her wrecking ball will be worth a million... :lol:

trimph1 wrote:
Sendy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Sawer
Great synth, until you try to say it's name out loud :hihi:

SAUUEEEHH

SAW WRER

SAURA!

SAUUGHH!

THING THAT SAWS!

Still, at least it isn't called "little phatty" :lol:
Sawyer.... 8)

Sewer :D

:lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Tricky-Loops wrote:]In 100 years her wrecking ball will be worth a million... :lol:
She can wreck my....oh never mind it's too easy........ :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My keyboard player uses a multi timbral layering approach with old free synths such as Synth1 and MinimogueVA. He is playing them live, and the people in the crowd are always blown away by the sounds he is playing, and they probably could not tell the difference if it is the latest greatest VA or some old vsti. He layers monophonic, polyphonic chords, arps and pads all together at the same time sometimes. Fans love it. My keyboard player's favorite sounds are from Synth1, and he doesn't really know the difference between a new vsti or an old one, but more importantly the usable sounds that come from them that can be used in the songs we play. He uses a 10 year old laptop that runs XP, and those synths run rock solid on an old laptop with Ableton Live.

Most average people in the crowd and even the other musicians don't even grasp the concept of the computer DAW/vsti and being able use synths sounds like that from a computer. They probably think it is all coming from his Hammond XK1 or his 88 key Kurzweil. We have a midi to USB cable that runs from the Hammond's midi out to the computer, which also lets him layer his organ sounds with real leslie cab with the vsti sounds. Of course we're playing rock/funk/reggae/prog with an organic electronic kind of sound, so it isnt full electronic music with an EDM crowd in attendance. You can see people's faces light up in the crowd when he gets groovin with whatever old cheap vsti sound(s) he is using at the moment. And he uses the sounds/vsti because he likes them, not to please the listener.

Playing live might be less demanding in terms of sound quality. With studio recordings it needs to sound more perfect.

Teksonik wrote: Then I feel great pity for you....I do consider them works of Art because many plugins inspire me to Artistic creation. If they don't inspire you the same way then I wonder why you've chosen this medium.....

Following your twisted logic then your music is just Pitch and Amplitude.......it must not qualify as Art either....... :shrug:
Lol :D Sorry to break it to you but you're the one with a twisted representation of what ppl actually say. You should feel pity for yourself for not getting it. Who cares where and how you get your inspiration from, and further more, who cares if you consider plugins works of art and I don't? Ppl have opinions - you don't have to like 'em.
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

The most artistic thing about plugins are, in some cases, the factory presets and the GUI 8)

Uh, you'd have to pry my FM8 from my cold dead hands... 8)

DHR53 wrote:Uh, you'd have to pry my FM8 from my cold dead hands... 8)
Leave my ARP2600 aalllloooooonnne!!!! :x :x

:whew:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

idfpower wrote: Ppl have opinions - you don't have to like 'em.
Hey you have every right to be wrong........ :wink:

metalifuxx wrote: My keyboard player's favorite sounds are from Synth1
Now Synth 1 is a plugin that has stood the test of time. It is a work of Art........ :tu:

fluffy_little_something wrote:The most artistic thing about plugins are, in some cases, the factory presets and the GUI 8)
But without the underlying code the GUI wouldn't mean anything and the patches would be silent so.......... :wink:

If Synth 1 would have a Limeflavor GUI (like Oatmeal), I could try to use it (even if I don't need it anymore). But the default GUI is so ugly that I immediately feel dizzy just by looking at it...

Return to “Instruments”