Nexus 2 - Loading downloaded expansions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi KVR

I installed Nexus 2 (they're having a some money off sale right now) with no problem and put the Nexus content on another internal drive (where I keep all my samples) everything is fine, I can use Nexus.

The problem is the expansions, I download the master key and and the Christmas expansion from the accounts page, to the desktop. However when I click on sys and choose desktop I get the message

"NEXUS content in incompatible location - The content is currently in a location that has limited access permissions. Please exit NEXUS and move the content to a neutral location on your hard disc".

I did what they said on the website (which was to download to the desktop) and I can't think of way around this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think the best option would be to open a ticket at refx' support system

msvs wrote:I think the best option would be to open a ticket at refx' support system

Thanks for getting back, I just opened one up a couple of minutes ago.

great plug-in, thanks for the info

You have to install the content exactly where it wants to install it, or it won't find it. Same with Expansions. They have to be in the same folder.
And just remember to right click everything and see if there's a "Run As Administrator" selection and choose that option. Had the same problem with Omnisphere about folder permissions. Nexus gave me No problem, however, because I let the disc do it's thing.
http://www.plughugger.com/refx-nexus-2- ... oaded.html
Check out plughugger for some good presets

osiris wrote:You have to install the content exactly where it wants to install it, or it won't find it. Same with Expansions. They have to be in the same folder.
And just remember to right click everything and see if there's a "Run As Administrator" selection and choose that option. Had the same problem with Omnisphere about folder permissions. Nexus gave me No problem, however, because I let the disc do it's thing.
http://www.plughugger.com/refx-nexus-2- ... oaded.html
Check out plughugger for some good presets

Not true. I installed mine on an external HD. No problems.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I worked at reFX for quite a while and I'm aware of the internals of Nexus :)

The appeal to authority aside - it is likely that the application isn't able to access a directory that the current user is not an owner or with "all permissions" enabled.

The solution is most likely to install the content into the users/public directory or your own users/username/ directory.

Ideally what Nexus should do is provide some sort of installer which will automatically copy the content into application data/reFX/Nexus2/content/ or similar which will always be accessible on all systems.

Code: Select all

int r = SHGetFolderPath(NULL, CSIDL_APPDATA | CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE, NULL, 0, path);
		ASSERT(SUCCEEDED(r));
		if (SUCCEEDED(r))
		{
			strcat(path, "/");
			strcat(path, "refx/");
			CreateDirectory(path, 0);
			strcat(path, "nexus2/");
			strcat(path, "content/");
			strcat(path, "expansions/");
		}

// (or something like that?)
I can tell you they hate the support tickets about installing content. Please put some real effort into following the instructions before opening a ticket?

Also I've assumed you're using windows although my suggestion should work just as well if you're on OSX. For example put the content into your "Documents" folder, where if it can still not be accessed something is really going wrong and a ticket might make sense.

On OSX the appdata comment also still makes sense but it's different on OSX, anyway that's a programmer thing not so much a user thing.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

They've never hated any sort of support ticket I've ever opened, in fact I even opened one about not liking a an aspect of a skin and if they'd consider altering it and had a reply within a couple hours if that.. Polite and courteous as always. They will absolutely help the OP sort the issue out, and as Manuel himself suggested, the lead sound designer and co owner of nexus, that a ticket was the right course of action. So don't know how you could perceive they would "hate" that :shrug:

By the way, if your desktop folder is not working via the one click streamlined desktop button import procedure, just press the manual import button.. put the libraries in your downloads or documents folder of which you will have all permissions, and just load it manually.. it's really only an extra button step :)

TheoM wrote:So don't know how you could perceive they would "hate" that :shrug:
Well listening to what actually goes on while reading tickets I perceived that they hate when users jump ahead and open a ticket without following the procedure which was clearly explained in the error message, the one you just explained in your post.

It is actually easier to try a few options like that before sending away an email to complain about it. At least then you'll be able to provide "I tried to load the expansion from the desktop and it complained about permissions. Loading it from my downloads folder worked."

Then the reply is probably going to be either "that is weird, I wonder what would cause that" or "your system is weird, at least it works now" depending on how curious certain people happen to feel at the moment. Could also be "uh, so why did you open a ticket?" which is the sort of thing I heard over and over again with these sorts of tickets. You'd be surprised how often over 1/2 of the tickets are filled with this sort of thing.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Oh ok fair enough I get where you are coming from, I was getting a bit of a bad vibe from your post about refx, the way it came across (and obviously unintended), and because they get alot of flack around here I always try to throw my own (honestly faultless) support experiences with them.

But of course yes I get what you mean, sometimes the user should do some self deduction and try a couple things to get it working at least before contacting. I think in this case it's entirely possible, as the desktop button is only one way to import expansions :)

He was actually writing a "refx control panel" to deal with this kind of thing back in 2009. He never finished that?

He seemed really interested in it so I wonder what happened. If it was working this sort of thing wouldn't happen so much because installing an expansion would be buying it on the website, opening the control panel and clicking install.

That was of course motivated by like I said just how surprisingly often these sorts of issues fill up the ticket system.

depending on how curious certain people happen to feel at the moment
i asked once (pre-buy question) and got an arrogant and unfriendly answer from a reFX support guy - so i decided to leave my account empty. :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
depending on how curious certain people happen to feel at the moment
i asked once (pre-buy question) and got an arrogant and unfriendly answer from a reFX support guy - so i decided to leave my account empty. :lol:
Well unless things changed radically since I was there, your support tickets are (were?) answered by Eva with her morning coffee and unless they're incredibly ignorant or rude or careless tickets (similar to not bothering to follow the instructions like this thread) she was never intentionally rude that I ever witnessed.

What on earth did you put in that ticket? :hihi:

it's two years ago and it was a question about 2nd hand sales on ebay. anyway, no hard feelings: i'm quite sensible at morning coffee times too. :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Instruments”