Glitchmachines Polygon

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Polygon

no polyphony? I thought there was.

Not that I can see. It can be played chromatically as per your earlier post though. Think of it as a monophonic 'super sampler' with granular functionality and crazy-flexible modulation possibilities. It excels at bonkers sound FX, but there are a few playable pitched presets in there too. I plan to import guitar plucks and see where that gets me. As long as you stay away from modulating the pitch, it should be fine. Each slot can be independently tuned/fine tuned and there's a master tune knob too, so it's certainly easy enough to get things in tune. Again, shame it doesn't appear to be polyphonic. It's fairly CPU heavy too - constant 10% on my 4.5 GHz i5 whether it's sounding or not.

Having said all that, I think I'm in love. :love:

Stephen:

Can you walk me through how to use the template to load presets? I have forgotten, since I don't use it too often. I tried drag and drop with your template to the Source location, but then right clicking does not give an "import presets" option…..

Thanks,

Jon
aMUSEd wrote:I've made a template for using this in Kore 2:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/564 ... mplate.ksd

Kore's ability to add morphing to this takes it to another dimension

jc_vt wrote:Stephen:

Can you walk me through how to use the template to load presets? I have forgotten, since I don't use it too often. I tried drag and drop with your template to the Source location, but then right clicking does not give an "import presets" option…..

Thanks,

Jon
aMUSEd wrote:I've made a template for using this in Kore 2:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/564 ... mplate.ksd

Kore's ability to add morphing to this takes it to another dimension
You can't with this I'm afraid, it uses a non standard preset format. If you want to import particular presets they can only be saved individually. But far more useful is Kore's ability to save and morph between variations; what I do is create a base preset then rapidly generate another 7 distinct variants (brainstorming basically) and use morphing to find the sweet spots in between. Great way to generate preset ideas (it's what I mean by exploratory sound design). Much more focussed and controlled than randomisation (which I find of little value), you are still designing something, but still has an element of "foundness" and an organic quality that I strive for in all my music (very much influenced by Zen and the Raku aesthetic).

Thanks for the quick reply and guidance. I appreciate your approach, and while I have been known to make use of the "randomize" functions on various VST's, it is only the starting point, as I then further shape them to bring out the sound that tickles my ears.

Polygon has been updated:

http://www.glitchmachines.com/2014/03/p ... -1-update/

New Features :

new glide controls for each sampler as well as the sub oscillator + master glide offset
new solo function for each sampler and the sub oscillator
the effects processors can now be chained
tooltips showing the current values of knobs/sliders upon mouse hover
new waveform display with adaptive zooming to the current sample focus
you can now drag & drop samples from the Finder/Explorer to the sample slots
save a preset with copies of the samples used in a special folder for preset portability
new option in the menu for opening the Finder/Explorer at the presets folder location
UI refinements with improved contrast and new knob design
knobs now have a distinct indicator if their parameters are targeted by a modulator
new preset menu using columns for easier navigation
new factory presets by Subjex
Performance Enhancements :

numerous refinements to reduce CPU load
HQ mode: when de-activated can further reduce CPU load
Bugfixes :

fixed : some parameters would not update properly at sample rates higher than 44.1kHz
fixed : on preset change the sample folders paths (for file navigation using the arrows) would not update properly
fixed : loop mode broken if focus set to 100%
fixed : buttons and menus would capture the “Enter” key
fixed : the stutter effect could get stuck looping a short click
fixed : sample reverse misbehavior

Is there a download for just the plugin update that doesnt include the entire 1 Gig soundset?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Doesn't seem to be, they say there are new presets, maybe there are also new samples?

edit.. nevermind.. found the email in the spam folder. derp

The list of enhancements is impressive. I was really hoping they would add drag and drop for loading samples, as well as visual cues for modulator targets. Cannot wait to try it out!

Yes they have taken on board a lot of our feedback and bug reports - I know further enhancements are planned too

I bought this one the other night. I was pleased to see a major update the very next day. I've not delved into it very far yet, but it's perfect for the kind of mangling that I was looking for. The first stage makes me think of Iris, the way you can load 4 samples and a sub osc. It diverges at that point into sonic mayhem. Definitely worth the price. Fracture is interesting too, and it's a freebie. It's 32 bit, but I won't complain. :tu:

Edit: Fracture is 64 bit. My mistake. Sorry for any confusion.
Last edited by rustman on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Drag and drop is superb! A great little update, and the new Subjex presets are a very pleasant surprise.

There are still two bugs (and one possible bug) here which I encountered in the previous version. Can any other users confirm them on their machines?

1. Pitch values don't match what is displayed at the bottom of the GUI. Grab any tune knob on the samplers and sub-osc or the master tune knob and very slowly drag it down or up while repeatedly playing a note (it doesn't update values mid-note when dragging). For me, the actual pitch changes 'in-between' the semitone values displayed at the bottom of the GUI. An unfortunate side-effect of this is that it's impossible to detune to -24 semitones. It's actually only detuning -23 semitones with the knob(s) right at the bottom.

2. Modulation of the FM depth in the ring mod seems to be incorrectly mapped. Modulate the FM depth with an LFO in the matrix page and set the range to 0% - 100%. The amount of modulation you get is very small; nowhere near the full range the knob itself offers.

3. I didn't really use the grain engine in the previous version so I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but it seems to change the pitch in unusual ways that don't match the pitch as set by the tune knob (even though the tune knob works in granular mode). Is this expected behaviour? I'd have thought stretch, which changes the pitch of audio as well as the length of the stretch, should be stretching 'without' changing the pitch (that's what the tune knob is for, right)?

Any ideas?

New readers please don't let any of this put you off. It's really quite special!

cron wrote:Drag and drop is superb! A great little update, and the new Subjex presets are a very pleasant surprise.

There are still two bugs (and one possible bug) here which I encountered in the previous version. Can any other users confirm them on their machines?

1. Pitch values don't match what is displayed at the bottom of the GUI. Grab any tune knob on the samplers and sub-osc or the master tune knob and very slowly drag it down or up while repeatedly playing a note (it doesn't update values mid-note when dragging). For me, the actual pitch changes 'in-between' the semitone values displayed at the bottom of the GUI. An unfortunate side-effect of this is that it's impossible to detune to -24 semitones. It's actually only detuning -23 semitones with the knob(s) right at the bottom.

2. Modulation of the FM depth in the ring mod seems to be incorrectly mapped. Modulate the FM depth with an LFO in the matrix page and set the range to 0% - 100%. The amount of modulation you get is very small; nowhere near the full range the knob itself offers.

3. I didn't really use the grain engine in the previous version so I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but it seems to change the pitch in unusual ways that don't match the pitch as set by the tune knob (even though the tune knob works in granular mode). Is this expected behaviour? I'd have thought stretch, which changes the pitch of audio as well as the length of the stretch, should be stretching 'without' changing the pitch (that's what the tune knob is for, right)?

Any ideas?

New readers please don't let any of this put you off. It's really quite special!
Hi,

Thanks for this info!
For the pitch control, this behavior is due to the knob not having a stepped response. Internally it goes from 0 to 1 and the value is scaled inside the plugin. We will improve this (as well as making it act not only on new note-on), but you are right, I just tested and it is buggy at -24 semitones. We will sort this out in the next update.
For the FM depth modulation in the ringmod this is also a bug (just tested too). This one went totally off the radar. It will be fixed in the next update too.
Regarding the granular mode, these artifacts are "normal" because it is kind of a weird implementation relying on equally spaced delay lines. The goal was to achieve robotic stretched sounds more than regular granular textures. The delay lines can generate comb filter sounding artifacts depending on the settings and I suppose that's what you're referring too. You can actually boost this effect using the grain feedback control because we found the results interesting (but mostly for non chromatic sounds). We consider adding a more traditional granular mode at a later point.

Thanks for the feedback,

Thomas

So if I want to make a preset to share with others and it uses a dragged in sample what do I do? Does the export portable preset include the sample?

Return to “Instruments”