Would you buy a vsti from the big Keyboard Companies?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Would you buy a vsti from the big Keyboard Companies?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 122

RELATED
PRODUCTS

If they created an exact identical soundset of their flagship keyboards,including efx sections,in software form, other then the D/A obviously, how many musicians would be interested in this? Just curious if there's any interest for these identical sounds right from the keyboard makers themselves.

Save the negative comments,or skepticism eg: they'd never do it etc.. That's not the point, the point is to see if there's any interest at all, in the sounds from these keyboard manufacturers,or is it too late for them since they've not done it, on a site such as Kvr,where Musicians are heavily active and are always buying new softsynths and plugins..

Remember....

1. The exact soundset from the current keyboards from Korg,Access,Yamaha,Roland etc.

2. Dongle will be included, elicenser/ilok, (sorry but lets face the facts, they trust no one and this is part of the deal) :D

3. Would you pay $199.00 for their sounds and products? Remember their (61,76,88 key dongles) normally attached with these sounds are upwards $3,000 on release..

thanks for taking part, I'll be sending the results to certain corporate insiders as soon as we have enough hits. :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Roland, Yamaha - no, why, do they have something super special in their catalogs that just begs to be turned into a VSTi?

An authorized Moog VSTi would tempt me. A Buchla... not emulation but re-imagination, definitely.

I believe I've read in these forums that Yamaha has some physical-modeling tech that they are simply sitting on and not manufacturing any instruments for. Maybe something like that. But it would depend on the instrument.

Yes, their sample is quite good. And for 200$ of course i would buy a rompler that have all of their sound included. Yamaha, roland, korg, etc.
musisikamar.com

SODDI wrote:Roland, Yamaha - no, why, do they have something super special in their catalogs that just begs to be turned into a VSTi?
Yes.
Roland D50...
Thanks.

Have done so...The Korg Legacy collection. Lots of goodies in there.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

well it's already there. the korg legacy collection is one example. also halion 5 or halion sonic will bring you quite close to yamaha's motif series. they share samples, sounds and even some of the features like the flex phraser if i'm correct. so that only leaves roland from the big three. my first expander actually was a roland jv-880 and since that day i love the roland sound and since there is no roland vst available i bought a roland sonic cell two or three years ago. the sonic cell has a good daw integration (vst editor), it sounds nice, is expandable and a cute small unit. i'm quite happy with it.
cheers

Yamaha would definitely use the eLicenser (they already do), doubtful that Korg would since they killed it in the original KLC and use a particular authorization method in the Kronos. Roland would just make another rack, and not do more software. Doubtful that any of them would really. And even if they did, the price points would be more in keeping with something like NI in keeping the prices higher than $200.00 IMO. So it breaks down into libraries and engines to be real VSTIs or just sample libraries with little more control than a rompler like Kontakt. There is the KLC, so Korg does already have a VSTI (which I bought in a nano upgrade) but if they also did their string, brass, woodwind in the modeler engines of the Kronos, M3, Triton MOSS I would probably want it. Also the same is true with Yamaha as certain orchestra/jazz instrument sounds are often the best to use for me. Not sure if I would go for Roland software though and as far as their stock synth sounds, I don't think I would buy them as a redundant back up even. The same is true with any of their synths really, all nice, but as software, I would only want their versions of real instrument sample/engine models.

mcnoone wrote:
SODDI wrote:Roland, Yamaha - no, why, do they have something super special in their catalogs that just begs to be turned into a VSTi?
Yes.
Roland D50...
Thanks.
Would this be completely achievable as a VST? Would it be much the same turned into a VST as the Wavestation and M1 are completely replacable of the hardware, if so I would buy one too, I wouldn't want to buy a hardware version - but in VST form I would take a punt, mostly for curiousity.

so yeah +1

I would buy a Peavey DPM VSTI...
Although, some of the VIs I have now come close enough for the most part.
I actually never miss the D50 I used to play back in the eighties though. Can't say I would buy a VSTI of it now if they had one.

Depends. I have some already from Korg and Waldorf and both have done excellent job of replicating their hardware. I would love to see an authentic recreation of Ensoniq Fizmo and some other Ensoniq synths.

But not sure if all synths would be equally suitable for recreating as VSTi's. I would see no point in doing VSTi versions of so called workstation synths.
No signature here!

I think it depends more on which synths more that which companies. And plenty are already doing that. So what other synths being ignored now do we want?

I can't think of any those 'big' companies with ones from the past that I want more than just for the sake of nostalgia. And the ones I do want, I either already have or know where to get them from some other developer. Two of those companies though, it would be nice if theu put some of their surrent stuff in a rack mount without the sequencer.

Are are we talking about workstation keyboards that have fixed sounds? I assume so as you said keyboards rather than synths. I'm in the 'no' camp if that's the case. The only place such instruments really have any use these days is in the live arena, and as a live player you're probably going to be needing that keyboard that comes with it! I suppose you could use a cheap MIDI controller to run those sounds as a VSTi on stage, but again you'd be losing the bulletproof reliability that makes those keyboards desirable as live instruments in the first place.

Curious as to why you've included Access in your examples. Have they ever made a workstation keyboard, or indeed a synth that isn't part of the Virus line? I thought their output began and ended with the Virus line of synthesisers which have already had various software implementations over the years.

For the record,I've always been into hardware,and have always owned a board of some sort from the above named companies ,but there are limitations.After my vsti's have become more powerful, I don't any longer, but still miss some of those sounds.

Here's a good point to look at, when using a rompler such as HalionSonic 2, you can assign as many efx that the program offers to 16 slots/channels/outputs.Normally you would never use this many efx ;)
In hardware,there's major compromises, meaning what sounds good in a patch/ preset, is not guaranteed to sound like that once in the sequencer of a workstation, due to limitations and routing of efx,they aren't as powerful from the ground up , and who wants to recreate that sound you just fell in love with while scrolling thru presets.. ;)

Say your okay with just tracking one instrument at a time with hardware, but do want the big nice sound you hear in the preset level, , well then there's the forced bounce down,because as mentioned, if we hop into the multi timbral level of these boards, there's major compromises, if you use hardware, your aware that every time you want that big sound, you'll need to bounce it down to audio to get to the next big sound/ true fully tweaked preset you hear in the store ;)
So as you can see, it's more then convenience being a vsti, it's actually practical if your into the term workflow ;) which many of you probably are.

Keep this thread going, there's some interesting points being made, and I'm sure the contacts I have will enjoy a positive read.
Just my 2cts..
Thanks again :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Maybe i as i need bread butter sounds more and i cannot simply use 3000euros and such for single soundsource. Maybe even more if comes Roland or Kurzweil or Korg in this order i think.

cron wrote:Are are we talking about workstation keyboards that have fixed sounds? I assume so as you said keyboards rather than synths. I'm in the 'no' camp if that's the case. The only place such instruments really have any use these days is in the live arena, and as a live player you're probably going to be needing that keyboard that comes with it! I suppose you could use a cheap MIDI controller to run those sounds as a VSTi on stage, but again you'd be losing the bulletproof reliability that makes those keyboards desirable as live instruments in the first place.
Workstations are defined by doing sounds and sequencing/audio recording.
And although some a not much more than romplers, many do much more than 'fixed' sounds.
e.g. Kronos has nine synth engines.
I think the OP was implying whatever comes to mind, regardless of the synthesis method it uses.

Return to “Instruments”