Would you buy a vsti from the big Keyboard Companies?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Would you buy a vsti from the big Keyboard Companies?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 122

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I already have. Korg legacy collection.

It started without a dongle, acquired one in the "digital" edition, then stopped having one entirely.

I would again, too, but I don't think I'll ever buy anything else that uses a dongle. I dislike using them and I even more dislike having several licensing drivers and system services running. I didn't pirate the software, I bought it. Stop wasting my system resources and USB sockets.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I hate dongles but saddly one of best tools for my needs need dongle but when company (Vienna symphonic library) is good is not much problem for me.

I wish the collection was still on the dongle. The collection forgets its ID and wants to be reauthorized whenever my Laptop is overloaded. Such a pain. I never had this problem with the dongle.

Would I buy a VSTi from a big Keyboard Company? Well, yes, if it was good.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

no dongle again ever.. period.

i'd rather support a smaller developer who listens to feedback and has some niche ideas that can survive w/a smaller user base rather than a big corporation that is trying to please everyone and move units or whatever.. not that they are all like that but watered down ideas that try to please everyone tend to be par for the course for some larger developers.

but.. i'd approach a new plug in from a major the same as any other..

is it something i need and will use, does it sound good and have a good interface, does it meet my system specs (no dongle), is it reliable, is it priced reasonably

ps - is there anything missing in the softsynth world? there is so much to explore in softsynths i've had for a long long time.. always new things to try and new sounds to make.

pps - i have the korg legacy collection and hardly ever use it

it depends really. i would definitely buy/pay for something useful. clones of niche or obscure units unlikely would attract me. VSTis which would replace ones like Virus TI, V-synth, Yamaha AN or Novation Supernova would be very tempting to have in a soft format.

The V piano could be interesitng as a vsti.

The big companies have their tentacles out there and know how much the top plugins are selling (at least through retail stores.) So, if they don't release things, it's because they've already made the calculations and think they can make more money elsewhere (even if it's with $10 iPad apps.)

Though did nobody mention the rumoured TRITON Taktile USB controller? The name suggests 2 things - it's touch oriented, and it comes with the Triton engine. Maybe its on-board, but that wouldn't make much sense when its main function is as a USB controller. So there's a half-decent chance Korg might've finally coded a Triton plugin (but will probably tie it to the controller in some way, if that is the case.)

The real question, if they did something like that, is whether they'd choose to bypass the desktop (win/osx) market entirely, and go straight to iOS..

Between Omnisphere, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt libraries, and the flexibility of a proper DAW, I don't think there's too many people missing workstations now, unless it's for something fairly specific, and I think computer stuff is now surpassing most of the VA hardware around.

Ensoniq Fizmo would be cool.

Korg Kronos, it does some incredibly interesting physical modeling, capable of very unique sounds

Yamaha Tyros, laugh if you like but I haven't found anything better for replicating the sound AND playing nuances of acoustic instruments

Roland VP-770, the decidedly digital vocoder

trusampler wrote: 2. Dongle will be included, elicenser/ilok, (sorry but lets face the facts, they trust no one and this is part of the deal) :D
If i may pick just this one point from the OP. This kind of thinking is as wrong as it gets. I don't like any hassle from copy protection, but arguing that the companies using iLok and eLicenser trust noone is pure nonsense. Shall i complain to you now that you don't trust me when you lock your front door, and i have to ring the bell? :P That's some thinking i've read in other threads here before, some guy called michi_mak was a master in that kind of thinking. Copy protections are NOT there because companies don't trust their clients, they are there because there are some brainfarts who use warez, and will never learn that they risk existences with their behavior, and even if they learned, they probably wouldn't give a damn.

And as i said, sorry for picking that one point, i know neither this thread nor your post was about it, but then i wonder why you have to bring that stuff up in the first place... especially with that kind of nonsense arguing ("They trust noone").

And on topic: I'd love some synthesizer manufacturers to bring their stuff to the software world also. Access, Novation, Clavia to name only a few. It just won't happen i'm afraid. Mostly thanks to software being easily cracked and warezed.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

:) I have no problems with dongles, I understand your point though, I think we can agree,that if they decide to, there would be some form of a dongle included , I wouldn't care, as long as it's not a 61/76/88 keyboard attached and it fits nicely in my cpu, I'd get it. ;)
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Yes, if it would be a Kurzweil K2x00 VSTI with all bells and whistles.

CP doesn't matter to me (unless it needs to be a "hardware module" (like breakout box, hardware synth like the Roland SoundCell or Waldorf Blofeld, which are technically still hardware synths), they only need to maintenance it. Unfortunately, such a release is highly unlikely.

Same with Yamaha and the old XG range. I do know that there was a software MIDI player which bundled the XG synth as sound module, which could then be used (if you were clever) as VSTi. But Yamaha did not continue that in any form.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Uncle E wrote:Korg Kronos, it does some incredibly interesting physical modeling, capable of very unique sounds

Yamaha Tyros, laugh if you like but I haven't found anything better for replicating the sound AND playing nuances of acoustic instruments

Roland VP-770, the decidedly digital vocoder

Bingo! Amazing picks I had the Kronos, a year ago , it was a lovely board, and while it being the latest and greatest in Korgs technology, I kept going right back to my softsynths, as the workflow in my daw was just not fun. I for one love the workstation Preset level, I'm not a fan of the sequencer level,due to limitations with EFX and the Kronos, is probably the best for routing efx, keeping original patches, I think I was able to do three complete Patches, but after that there we're those damn limitations. EFX,MFK,TFX use this, but then lose this, arrgghh lol

And the Tyros,flat out some of the best rom sounds I've heard, and many of those sound better then super large sample libraries within Kontakt etc.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Bt recent actions, I think we could easily conclude that concerning dongle/SW;
Yamaha would. Korg wouldn't. The rest may or may not. But I doubt Roland would.
I could easily imagine Kurzweil and Access using it though.

Even then, so what.

As long as there is no official "port" of their hardware in software form, it doesn't matter. And even then, I'm sure people will be like "you know what, funk it!".

For example:
If Kurzweil would create an affordable software K2x00, with the VAST engine, sample load, FX version and all that jazz - but use a Codemeter rather than iLok, ELicenser or whatever. I'd get a stupid Codemeter key, just to get that thing to run.

I'd even use C/R, teeth-gnashingly, as long as they finally decide to go into the software realm to revive their old synth days.

Though as mentioned earlier - highly unlikey to happen.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Instruments”