Vanguard2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vanguard

cryophonik wrote:I don't think it's the same thread you're thinking of either. I seem to recall a much longer and more specific (i.e., more drama) thread as well.
The last big KVR pay per view worthy tantrum fest from Michael before he left KVR was in a thread I had started called "Battery 2 Ugly". Some guy who was later banned named Dr. something or another (I forgot his name makes good KVR trivia) had drawn Michael into it and they got into it bigtime. That's when he shut down his forum here and started his own at reFx. That thread for some reason doesn't exist anymore.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Teksonik wrote:
Compyfox wrote:you already have an Elicenser.
I doubt that ReFx will use Steinberg's E Licenser...
i don't want to chime in into this debate, just a short statement that reFX is indeed using Steinbergs's E licenser

Vanguard2 is on its way! 64-bit and fully backwards-compatible with Vanguard; this is what all of you Vanguard fans have been waiting for! This will be provided, upon release, as a free upgrade for all owners of a Vanguard license.

No release date has been set yet, so keep an eye on our e-mail newsletters for more information as it becomes available!
I know reFX do use E Licenser for some products. But nowhere in the newsletter statement does it say one will be required for the free upgrade of Vanguard.

Gosh wrote: i don't want to chime in into this debate, just a short statement that reFX is indeed using Steinbergs's E licenser
Really ? I didn't expect that but it doesn't change the fact that if I'm not going to install the Steinberg E Licenser for Retrologue I'm not going to install it for Vanguard 2 unless it's a significant upgrade. Let's wait and see...........
jasco wrote: I know reFX do use E Licenser for some products. But nowhere in the newsletter statement does it say one will be required for the free upgrade of Vanguard.
Yes it's all just speculation so far......"Wait and See" seems to be the mantra for now.....could be months away.....or never be released at all...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What a mess... :D

(1)
(a) E-Licenser: is a USB dongle, needed for Cubase, Nexus and others. It is an OBJECT made of plastic that you have to plug in. It costs about 20€.
(b) Soft E-Licenser: is just a software and you have to install it in order to use some products (Predator, Retrologue, Arturia etc.). It's free. You need an Internet connection.

(2)
If you own E-Licenser, you don't need the Soft E-Licenser. On the contrary, if you want, for instance, Predator, but you don't have any E-Licenser (the dongle), you must install the Soft E-Licenser.

(3)
Soft E-Licenser is different from E-Licenser: for instance, Nexus license cannot be registered on a Soft E-Licenser, Nexus works only with the E-Licenser (the dongle). On the contrary, some other products (Retrologue, Predator etc.) can be transferred from E-Licenser to Soft E-Licenser and viceversa.

(4)
As far as I can tell, the only ReFX E-licensed product is Nexus, the others just need a SN.

(5)
(IMO they introduced the Soft E-Iicenser because many people hate the E-Licenser (the dongle), so would never buy products that work with it (Arturia, Papen, Steinberg, etc.), but could agree to install a sort of "challenge-response" authentication software called "Soft-E-Licenser" to play them)*

Concusion:
(1) if you like Arturia, Papen, Retrologue etc. you can buy them without the need of a dongle, just install the Soft-E-Licenser. If you have the dongle, you don't need to install it.
(2) If you like Nexus but you hate the E-Licenser (the dongle), you cannot do anything, because Nexus does not work with the Soft E-Licenser. Neither Cubase. They need the Dongle (called "E-Licenser", not "Soft E-Licenser"). Well, I hate both.

*I tried twice: with Arturia ("Analog Factory") and Retrologue. A total mess. I won't ever install E-licenser and Sft E-licensed products on a mac.
Last edited by mhog on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Let's set some things clear:

- Cubase AI/LE and Elements, same with Wavelab LE/Elements do not(!) need an Elicenser USB key. It runs from Soft Elicenser. Only Elements can be moved to the USB Key though.

- reFX only used an E-Licenser for Nexus so far(!). Chances are that with updates, the CP system might change. And this is all the debate is about and people already dislike.

- what a possible future CP system might be, is unknown at this point. Though I'd like to point out, that cracked versions from reFX are all over the place (google is your friend) - so a logical step is to go a diferent CP route in order to protect reFX's intelectual property(!).

I am not further touching this topic. The general consensus is "if it goes E-Licenser or other CP system, I'll pass", without even understanding(!) that you get a free(!!!) upgrade for a 10+ year old Synth. Even if it might only be a code update to run on x64 and Mac OSX Mavericks. :dog:

I'd like to see such critism towards Spectrasonics or any other company. No matter which CP sytem they use.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Spectrasonics have that sort of "sound property" paranoia that makes me laugh. But their C/R system is better: they know who I am, when I bought their products etc. When I am out of C/R (because of HD formatting, new PC etc.), they are always kindly receptive and gently renew feedback and trust. No need for a dongle.

Again, I don't understand why a shipped and boxed product (coming directly from the software developers to your home) needs a dongle... They know who you are, name, surname, address, payments, etc. A Serial Number would be more than enough in this case.

Compyfox wrote:Let's set some things clear:

- Cubase AI/LE and Elements, same with Wavelab LE/Elements do not(!) need an Elicenser USB key. It runs from Soft Elicenser. Only Elements can be moved to the USB Key though.
Cubase AI can be moved to the USB Key. Pretty sure Cubase LE can too. They have to be on the key first to upgrade to Artist or Full version.

I have both... I don't think about them. But I can use them if a product I like uses them... Yawn.

I have a macbook and it has only two usb ports: one for the audio interface, the other for the keyboard. Where would I put the dongle? If I use a HUB, 50% of the times the mac answers: "not enough power, please add 5w energy" or smth. As far as I know, the e-licensed products don't work with the dongle unplagged, and I always read "please don't disconnect the dongle while using the product, that can cause damages". I just don't like this way of protecting software property (however crackable). I hope Vanguard2 will remain SN protected.

mhog wrote:What a mess... :D

(1)
(a) E-Licenser: is a USB dongle, needed for Cubase, Nexus and others. It is an OBJECT made of plastic that you have to plug in. It costs about 20€.
(b) Soft E-Licenser: is just a software and you have to install it in order to use some products (Predator, Retrologue, Arturia etc.). It's free. You need an Internet connection.

(2)
If you own E-Licenser, you don't need the Soft E-Licenser. On the contrary, if you want, for instance, Predator, but you don't have any E-Licenser (the dongle), you must install the Soft E-Licenser.

(3)
Soft E-Licenser is different from E-Licenser: for instance, Nexus license cannot be registered on a Soft E-Licenser, Nexus works only with the E-Licenser (the dongle). On the contrary, some other products (Retrologue, Predator etc.) can be transferred from E-Licenser to Soft E-Licenser and viceversa.

(4)
As far as I can tell, the only ReFX E-licensed product is Nexus, the others just need a SN.

(5)
(IMO they introduced the Soft E-Iicenser because many people hate the E-Licenser (the dongle), so would never buy products that work with it (Arturia, Papen, Steinberg, etc.), but could agree to install a sort of "challenge-response" authentication software called "Soft-E-Licenser" to play them)*

Concusion:
(1) if you like Arturia, Papen, Retrologue etc. you can buy them without the need of a dongle, just install the Soft-E-Licenser. If you have the dongle, you don't need to install it.
(2) If you like Nexus but you hate the E-Licenser (the dongle), you cannot do anything, because Nexus does not work with the Soft E-Licenser. Neither Cubase. They need the Dongle (called "E-Licenser", not "Soft E-Licenser"). Well, I hate both.

*I tried twice: with Arturia ("Analog Factory") and Retrologue. A total mess. I won't ever install E-licenser and Sft E-licensed products on a mac.

Rob Papen left
E-licenser back a long time ago. Use only serial now

Why are we even discussing eLicenser here? Has anyone at Refx mentioned Vanguard2 could/would/might include it? Or is this just more fearing speculation?

Seems to me nobody hear has a clue what V2 will have :lol:

VitaminD wrote:Why are we even discussing eLicenser here? Has anyone at Refx mentioned Vanguard2 could/would/might include it? Or is this just more fearing speculation?
TheoM wrote:
Chapelle wrote:I hope it won't be dongled like Nexus.
it's going to be dongled.. they confirmed this ages ago afair

cis-didge wrote: Rob Papen left
E-licenser back a long time ago. Use only serial now
Last time I tried a Papen demo (Predator), I had to install the soft E-Licenser together with it and it was a mess like "the key expires after this and that, it is a demo key" etc. Can you confirm it just needs SN now?

Return to “Instruments”