[BreakTweaker] New Izotope @ NAMM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've now tried installing the demo on two systems, and Avira objected on both. Is this a false positive, or is there an issue with the installer? I had Avira remove the offending files, and the demo still seemed to function just fine.

I really wanted to not want this plugin. I don't make dubstep or anything contemporary. But I do like using glitch as an occasional ingredient in my sonic confections. And this one really nailed it. Also, the cinematic library is useful to me in some of my video scoring work, so there's that too. Oh well, who needs money anyway?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I like the interface and it's simplicity. There are some usability issues but overall it's really nice. Everything is self explanatory, you actually don't need to read manual. You can make your own presets quite fast with it. I like it and probably I will grab it :)
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

Did some more demoing and I have to say, that to me this plug is a huge dissapointment, even at the intro price. The microediting rocks, but thats about it. With its 6 tracks Breaktweaker is simply to limited, and it feels very calustrophobic that you can only use samples or the internal synth. The lack of live audio processing is a drag. Izotope usually always delivers top-notch products, but this one is not up to their standards. All in all this is just a very limited drumsampler / synth, that does slicing and stutter effects that can be done in loads of other (and better) plugs.

dexterbella wrote:I feel a bit the same. I'm kinda sorta interested but the price puts me off even demoing it in case I like it!
I downloaded the demo last night, and as I was downloading I came across the Theremini announcement.

Since I have a pretty good idea of where my next musical expenditure is going, I didn't install the demo. :D

Watched the video by ProTools expert about it.

I really like iZotope products - but this one looks like a toy, and sounds like crap.
At least judging after what I've heard and seen in the video.

I'm sticking to Dub Turbo.................

Another we-all-need-to-sound-the-same plugin.

dayjob wrote:i don't like that it's midi driven only. thought it had an onboard sequencer and worked as a drum machine.

having to feed it midi notes to play patterns is a little annoying and makes it less useful for me though i see the appeal of rapid pattern switching and that kind of thing.

oh well. interesting plug in but on first demo use i don't think it's for me. perhaps on further exploration it'll reveal to me how it's "changed electronic music forever". so far, meh.
Yeah, change music forever... pffft. However, you can easily sequence your midi note changes and feed it to this plug and get around "playing" it. I do kind of quite like the idea of a drum machine as "instrument."
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

A lot of people are saying this plugin will encourage creativity by speeding up tedious editing allowing time to be spent pushing at the bleeding edge of sound design. But last night I couldn't really find many ways to abuse it or make it paint "outside of it's box", so I uninstalled it.

Wondering if I was a little too hasty, but I felt that for the price I should be getting an awful lot more stuff to customise and edit.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

your not alone, I got the same feeling and uninstalled

While stutteredit did grab my attention for longer, and seemed to offer alot more indepth editing, I still ended up selling it for the same reason in the end. Breaktweaker compared to stutteredit though feels even more cut down. Its a nice little drum sequencer and I like the small synth section, was pretty easy to create some interesting sounds, but in the end there really wasnt enough there to make me want it, especially not for the asking price. Using the microediting really seemed to end up coming up with 3-4 different sounding 'ideas', you get the rhythmic stutter, pitching with a micro stutter based on note/key, and grain stretching

Yeah, I got that with the microedit section as well. Just doesn't have enough "legs" to really be versatile. The mini synth section was cool, but I have Massive, and this felt like a cut down Massive. The sequencer was fun to use, but... um... I have one of those already :)

So I'm like, where's the other "stuff"? I guess that comes in the expansions. Do the expansions add extra features or is it just sample material? Either way, the price at this point was enough to put me off. If it were a lot cheaper I'd consider it for those times when I need a pitch-perfect microedit - which it does quite well (it seems to be it's main 'trick')

Cyclop on the other hand was a dubstep/gimmick/sequencer type product that I really enjoyed messing with, even though I don't use dubstep type sounds much. If only it let you load samples :(
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Demoed for a while last night for about 30 mins.

1st impressions :

Simple
Fun to use
Creative
Supports samples
Multiout :( didnt check
Potential
Could be a standalone
Underdeveloped
over priced

MFXxx wrote: Underdeveloped
over priced
LOL - :D

Is it just me or does Geist wipe the floor with this?

I agree with all of you, we seem to be on the same page, it's feature limited at the moment, standing somewhere between drum machine, 'Reaktor' ensemble, and instrument. I used the audio routing last night to add effects in Ableton, and I think with tinkering, you would get interesting sounds, it's main + point for me, was it's synth section, which was a fluid and clever way to get 'Multi layered morphing wavetables' but I would be more than happy to have that as a standalone synth, the micro edit section was clever but no less interesting than 'Repeat' function of many drum machines.

It's not lacking anything if Izotope decided to ship it in that way, as the simple aspects like no additional effects, seem to help it stay simple to understand and open to routing ideas and uses, however, I agree the price point is poor and may need to be addressed especially in these day's of a saturated market. Plugin prices in general may need to be adjusted across the market to be agreeable with the pocket and the masses.

Return to “Instruments”