[BreakTweaker] New Izotope @ NAMM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dayjob wrote: but ya know.. i took a uniquely shaped dump this morning.. i think i'm going to patent it.
Just as valid as patenting corn...just sayin :hihi:

dayjob wrote:
C-note wrote:Whats this talk of patents, online wars and such against Izotope? Nonsense. It's called IP - intellectual property. If someone else invented it then let them patent it.
who invented granular synthesis? who invented chopping up samples and rearranging the slices?

it's laughable.

but yeah.. patenting their proprietary process or whatever. that's a separate thing.. but ya know.. i took a uniquely shaped dump this morning.. i think i'm going to patent it.
IDK, Dennis Gabor? Curtis Roads? Barry Truax?

Certainly Gabor, then Roads.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Certainly Gabor, then Roads.
It seems one introduced its concept, the other implemented it, and deciding who did it without the other would be a distortion in disconnect.

i was being rhetorical when asking "who invented....?"

The reason this is cause for concern, rather than just an absurd joke, is that the US patent system is fundamentally broken. Spurious patents are awarded all the time, with no input from the public, and no real means of recourse. Once awarded, they can sue anyone they want, and likely win. More likely, they have only to threaten to sue, and demand license fees of anyone making products involving granular synthesis, sample slicing, variable rate modulation of parameters, particularly with a curve function, or live launching of audio clips. It's scary stuff, and it actually happens all the time. This isn't just some hypothetical joke. Just look at the insanity between Apple and Samsung. Or, hey, what if BT ever assigns these patents to a patent troll firm who care nothing for the audio market?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

BBFG# wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Certainly Gabor, then Roads.
It seems one introduced its concept, the other implemented it, and deciding who did it without the other would be a distortion in disconnect.
True.

dayjob wrote:i was being rhetorical when asking "who invented....?"
Yes, but it was closer to topic than this patent law academia.

If I'm finding myself playing more with the little wavescanning synth than actually tweaking breaks, what do I really need to take a look at? Are there any good 64bit AU wavescanning synths?

Don't forget Baroness Ingrid Daubeshies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingrid_Daubechies

She is famous for her development of continuous wavelets that have compact support.

I checked the patent service that we use for work (Questel's Orbit.com) and BT has at least one granted patent (not just an application that has published) related to micro-editing. The claims appear fairly limited and rely on some (not especially complicated) mathematical details. This is not a legal judgement. It is just my personal impression.

Incidentally, a Ph.D. is not required to become a patent attorney, though most with whom I have worked do have a Ph.D. I have worked with an excellent patent attorney who has a MS in physics.

As far as BreakTweaker goes, I think it looks fun but I have enough plugins that do similar things including all the Twisted Tools stuff. I have to admit the micro-editing thing sounds cool, but... how many times can you make those sorts of sounds/effects before they bore the listener?
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote: how many times can you make those sorts of sounds/effects before they bore the listener?
This is the automatic downside to the positive side of tools that make things easier saving us all time... they allow those that wouldn't normally attempt to create these kind of effects to dabble. Which sometimes is a wonderful thing, and the rest of the time is just going to saturate the environment with mediocre examples of the technique done by people who don't really have a passion for what's going on under the hood (and are thus less likely to push in interesting ways).

After hearing Windowlicker in 1999 I seriously couldn't get enough of manic glitches and edits. Now I've heard them so many times, often in totally arbitrary ways which seem to be put there just to fill a mediocre track with "content", that part of me never wants to hear another glitch or stutter edit again :hihi:

I still think Squarepusher is, on a good day, one of the best at incorporating DSP into music in musically interesting ways.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Phase47 wrote:If I'm finding myself playing more with the little wavescanning synth than actually tweaking breaks, what do I really need to take a look at? Are there any good 64bit AU wavescanning synths?
Have you heard Enzyme? Looks/sounds interesting, but I haven't tried the demo yet.

http://www.humanoidsoundsystems.com/enzyme/

aLeksVolt wrote:
Phase47 wrote:If I'm finding myself playing more with the little wavescanning synth than actually tweaking breaks, what do I really need to take a look at? Are there any good 64bit AU wavescanning synths?
Have you heard Enzyme? Looks/sounds interesting, but I haven't tried the demo yet.

http://www.humanoidsoundsystems.com/enzyme/
Will check it, thanks. I'm finding myself missing that capability in my arsenal these days. The kinds of wavescanning you could do in the Wavestation or the Microwave - different beasts, I realize, and you can do some things in Massive, for example, but it's still way too smooth. And Skanner XT will morph, but still It's not quite the same.

As for BreakTweaker, aside from everything else that's been mentioned, it's very stiff sounding - not a very musical box. Nerve, even µTonic, kills it as far as groove, musicality, etc.

The stutter-edited-glitch-fashion-brrrrr-krrrrrrrrrrrrkrkrkrkr-vrrrrvvvrvrvrrrr-beats and breaks we have been hearing for so long now are comparable to the finale-fashion in e.g. Beethoven's symphonies, were almost every last movement ends with a never ending series of I-V-I-V-I-V-I-V hits until finally the composer has some mercy and places the last hit. It will go away....

Sampleconstruct wrote:The stutter-edited-glitch-fashion-brrrrr-krrrrrrrrrrrrkrkrkrkr-vrrrrvvvrvrvrrrr-beats and breaks we have been hearing for so long now are comparable to the finale-fashion in e.g. Beethoven's symphonies, were almost every last movement ends with a never ending series of I-V-I-V-I-V-I-V hits until finally the composer has some mercy and places the last hit. It will go away....
Brilliant.

Return to “Instruments”