NI Massive is...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

..pretty cool actually! (from today's sound designer point of view)

short story...

IIRC, I installed Massive at least 3-4 times within the last 1-2 years to test it.
I always ended up not getting it since some "basic" modules sounded like they were a bit dated quality wise (Like the osc module was sounding harsh in some cases and full of artifacts when modulated) and the most important reason for me was the lack modulation slots.

Didn't really understand what the big fuss was so I always wandered.. "meh!? ... got my Zebra and Zebra is more massive anyway :hihi: " and uninstalled it.

Although I still think Massive 1.4 its a bit overrated and needs an update, I'm glad I recently got it from the KVR Market Place. :tu: Having loads of fun playing all the great patches (selected 552 favorites out of 1200+, impressive! :shock: ) learning it's strengths and weaknesses and bottom line is... you can get a very good sound out of it if you know what to use and what to leave alone (or use in fairly small amounts).

Love the GUI, love the way modulation is assigned and displayed, most of the effects sound very good, modules are fairly feature rich. Love that insert effects like S/H and Ring Modulator are polyphonic and kb-tracked! :tu: There is a good amount of good-great patches. feedback and noise modules, browser and macro controls are welcomed! :)

What I hate about it atm:
-All of the junk and "unfinished" presets included in the factory banks. (really pays off if one checks out all the patches and selects the best/useful ones, you can make a backup afterwards)
-Some important modules sound dated and full of artifacts if pushed or modulated.
-Massive is NOT flexible as many describe it, feature rich: fair-yes, fairly flexible signal routing: yes, but modulation slots are very limited.
-Like the unison features but don't like it's sound.
- Can't use the browser capabilities to browse my favorites folder! what a shame! + browser is still buggy.

OK there probably are more things what I like and dislike about Massive but I'm sure happy I got it, for me is't one of those synths that you get and like it more and more as you go along.

How about you? What synth did you get "for the sake of it" and ended up as a pleasant investment/surprise? :)

The MonoPoly stands out for me. Just bought it because it was cheap and I figured I'd collect all of the Korg synths for the hell of it. Have the M1 and Wavestation as well so far. The Wavestation looks like it might become one of my all time favorite synths (I'm still learning how to use it).

Anyway, the MonoPoly stands out for me because it is a lot of fun. I can spend all day just messing around with it. My favorite synth when it comes to programming. If only it had more filters....
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

I got AAS VA-1 for the sake of it when it was $30. And Spire was just because it was new. These were a very pleasant surprise once I really got into programming them.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I'm surprised what a popular synth massive is. I wonder if there are a a lot of cracks out there or something. I was just browsing 3rd-party patch libraries the other day for fun, and I was surprised how every patch library out there seems to be for massive, sylenth, or zebra - especially massive and sylenth... Massive is a fun synth to program - I wish it had an arp.

I recently picked up rayblaster and gladiator from tone2 in the bogo sale at best service. I am floored at the sound. I don't know what secret sauce tone2 uses (preset designers?, novel new synthesis?, filters?) but every patch sounds amazing. On gladiator, just hitting the random button sounds amazing half the time. The bad of the tone2 synth is assigning knobs to a midi controller seems like a pain (impossible in ray blaster?) and preset management, especially in gladiator, is pretty convoluted.

Overall, though, I am floored at their awesomeness. these might be my goto synths for a while and I have a ton (massive, absinth, alchemy, zebra, virus TI, Omnisphere) - or maybe I'm just caught up in the moment.

I bought Massive in the last Christmas sale (50%) for $100 which is a good price. I also felt like the OP before, I didn't like Massive all these years because I believed it has a harsh sound. Anyway, this time I downloaded the demo and kept it installed for few months before I buy it, then I realised I wasn't fair.

I have many favourite presets most of them are pads. I already have FM8 and later I bought Absynth, so these trio are covering a lot, while they are not similar in sound and very different in programming.

I don't feel that Massive is really that limited in modulation. For me, it has more than enough abilities to create many kind of sounds including nice sequences. I wish it has an easy and nice arpeggio like in FM8, that would be fantastic.

Now, when I demoed Massive, I also demoed Waldorf Largo. The only thing that kept me from buying it is the price. It was much more than $100 so I went with Massive as a substitute (still not very, but I'm satisfied). So, if Massive and Largo were the same price, I would choose Largo because I like the sound more than Massive.

Zebra is a killer synth of course. It is from my dream synths to buy (besides Alchemy) I love the interface and sound, But I can wait another year because I have higher priorities purchases :-D

Im also late to the Massive party and just bought it recently. Man, I truly regret I didnt buy it a long time ago, as I find it spectacular. What this synth can do is just jawdropping.

Massive is *just* a very versatile synthesizer with tons of interesting, sometimes unique, features and some very clever modulations. Regarding this the macro system gives most of times more than enough to keep you busy while playing, when programmed properly, or modified according to the part/track/context etc/

Massive harsh ? Only if you need it. Actually, it will just *sound* like you want it to sound, smooth as silk, or as harsh, mean and digital as desired. Artefacts there are sometimes, especially when some modulation nodes are used. Just like with acoustic or electric instruments. Some guitar techniques bring *artefacts*, but they are considered as part of the sound and interesting in se. Artefacts can also mean : Life, expressivity, and fun. Depends on how you use them or program them.

Here are two audio demos that will hopefully demonstrate a few directions in wich you can lead Massive ( From our Wave Grooves soundbank - 210 preesets for Massive. Lots of other demos of this bank on the site page )

Massive Wave Grooves Step 3 Separate instruments

Massive Wave Grooves Step 2 Separate Instruments

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Massive is ... one of the worst sounding plugins on the market. Thin, brittle, harsh, sterile, grating - those are just a few adjectives that I would use to describe it.

I don't know what it is, but NI seem incapable of producing a warm sounding synth plugin. All of their instruments are of course loaded with features. Massive in particular has a great UI. But it's totally wasted on that godawful sound.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Honey... Can you bring me the popcorn and a beer.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

I don't know gadget fiend. Do you have the same Massive as I do?
But I guess if I had the money to buy your kit, it would sound that way....

Massive is a wonderful synth....on paper. But I never liked the sound, and it never "spoke" to me....even after going through all the presets and even trying to make my own sounds...even though I have it (I got it with Komplete 7), I never use it.

To me suitable some special uses. But best NI synth is Reaktor and we talk even discontinued ones another is Pro52.

djshire wrote:Massive is a wonderful synth....on paper. But I never liked the sound, and it never "spoke" to me....even after going through all the presets and even trying to make my own sounds...even though I have it (I got it with Komplete 7), I never use it.

This was my experience exactly....

I have never understood why Massive is so popular...

I've tried to like it,but it just doesn't hit the spot for me :(
No auto tune...

I like Massive pretty well. I like how it kind of goes nuts when pushed.
jeffb01 wrote:I recently picked up rayblaster and gladiator from tone2 in the bogo sale at best service. I am floored at the sound. I don't know what secret sauce tone2 uses (preset designers?, novel new synthesis?, filters?) but every patch sounds amazing.
I actually can't stand Rayblaster. To me the whole thing sounds like... like there are sheets of glass over it all, or something. Like the sound is trapped in a tiny space and simultaneously like it's been polished too much. Gladiator seems a little like that but less extreme about it.

I've just never really got into Massive. I've tried quite a few times, but it just has nothing unique that I can't do on one of my go to instruments.

Return to “Instruments”