synths that can read other synth patches...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

putting out some thoughts:

1. I know NI FM7 could read DX7 patches. It seems like a cool idea. What other synths that can read a different synth's patches?

2. I would think, while it wouldn't be easy, that some synths should try to import other patches. It obviously wouldn't be exact - but think of all the patches for the virus a,b,c and they're in .mid format or all the patches in massive format. I'm surprised someone doesn't make a synth or translator to load them into a 3rd party synth.

my thoughts of the day. what do you think?

I was thinking of an importer for various synths into Zebra, but scrapped it because it might piss someone off.

Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want. Neither can a synth creator forbid another to reverse engineer and load his preset format.

Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.

I was actually thinking zebra would be one of the more capable synths (due to its flexible nature, among other things) to import 3rd party patches.

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to open that can of worms, though I think that would be an excellent start-up for a young entrepreneur with some programming skills.

Sounds like an iOS app... synthify... automatically hears a patch and programs your synth to match it.

Synth1 and discoDSP Discovery can both read Nord Lead 1/2 presets...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

jeffb01 wrote:1. I know NI FM7 could read DX7 patches. It seems like a cool idea. What other synths that can read a different synth's patches?
the ones that come to mind are SQ8L and Discovery.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Hexter can load DX7 patches as well

VOPM can load Sega Genesis patches

I think FM Heaven can both load TX81Z and DX7 patches, cannot remember - it is not installed currently.

Urs wrote:Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.
I started a converter about a year ago and stopped for that same reason.

Urs wrote:
Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want.
Of course he can, thats what EULA is for.

UncleAge wrote:
Urs wrote:Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.
I started a converter about a year ago and stopped for that same reason.

Whats the point, its unlikely they will sound the same.

Kriminal wrote:
Urs wrote:
Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want.
Sorry but no, they can't. Various court decisions were made in this topic. A synth patch is a document, and while the file itself is copyrighted, the use of the file can't be - that is, the user can do with it whatever he wants. On top of that, file formats can not be copyrighted and thus reverse engineering is generally allowed. EULAs can't change that.

I doubt any worms would object to Zebra importing
ancient but golden DX7 sysex files. The sound designers are probably
old enough to be sharing territory with the worms by now anyway :wink:
Sysex banks are a pleasure to use with linux Hexter.
A light ZebraCM/Zebralette style version supporting them might sell quite well.
Cheers

Urs wrote:I was thinking of an importer for various synths into Zebra, but scrapped it because it might piss someone off.

Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want. Neither can a synth creator forbid another to reverse engineer and load his preset format.

Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.

do it and ill release it
i dont care who i piss off hehe

Kriminal wrote:
Urs wrote:
no that just stops me loading a bank from synth a into synth b and releasing it as my own work.

Return to “Instruments”