synths that can read other synth patches...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking forward to all those refills getting converted :tu:

Gamma-UT wrote:
jeffb01 wrote:I was reading an old thread where there was an argument about the synth part of omnisphere and ghettosynth (that might of been his name) was saying omnisphere is only a romper and challenged someone to show him a lush pad with no samples.
I think it was more likely to have been hardy-perennial troll sonkeysankey and his merry band of sockpuppets in that thread.
Damn it! I go away for a few months and the only chit chat about me is to accuse me of being a sockpuppet for someone that I've never heard of?

Where are the "what happened to ghettosynth" threads? Does nobody care how I'm doing? I'll have you know that I'm close to suicide but I can't get the voltage/current high enough on my tube power supply to be sure that I won't end up a vegetable. I knew I should have picked up the next model up. The last thing that I want is to live out the rest of my life without being able to wipe my ass vigorously enough to make the itch go away.

Korg Wavestation and M1
Imposcar
Terratec Komplexer can open Waldorf MicroQ banks
NI Pro53 and FM8
No signature here!

Korg Wavestation and M1???
how?

Urs wrote:However, yes, we've abandoned these ideas for now. We're thinking though that it might still be an option for abandoned products, once they don't run on current platforms anymore.

In actual fact we've come up with an even more elaborate idea that lets anybody create a preset converter into anything else. Which would take the blame off our shoulders :hihi: (still, way too busy to work on this)
I just found and read this thread with great interst. It occurred to me years ago that barring differences in sound sources (osc waves and samples), architectural uniqueness, and FX algorithms, it should be relatively simple to script patch conversion from one format to another. However to do it right it would have to compensate for the differences in envelope curves, modulator to destination tracking curves, filter response - in other words, compensate and adjust for the subtle differences that make each synth unique. The coarser aspects of translation are relatively simple but the subtle aspects would result in some translations working better than others, depending on the similarity of the synths.

But the political aspect of this are definitely a reality. For example, I can't help feeling that there's been a silent elephant in the room with the U-he discussions regarding Oberheim emulation in Diva. The only thing missing there is pretty much the OB envelopes, and maybe the osc wave amplitude balance, and yet...

In the larger world, hardware emulation of hardware is accepted: cars, fridges, stoves, CPU's. In our microcosm, unauthorized emulation of hardware or other software is politically frowned upon unless we're dealing with the emulation of legacy hardware. Why? Probably because our community is relatively small, the revenues are lower, and the players are relatively few so communal sensitivities come into effect. Discouraging competing emulations of legacy devices seems absurd, and is clearly not the status quo; in fact companies seem quite competitive in this dept: KramerTape=VTM=Satin=J37, VCC=NLS=Statson=ReelBus, the various 1176 emus, TheDrop=Metafilter, etc, etc...

Translating patches can be done "manually", and for that matter, just critical listening to a patch can often tell you how it's put together and can be emulated. If I hear any sound and emulate it with a synth, is this to be subject to the same rules we use to govern copyright of melody and composition? I don't think there's an actual legal ground for this. I think your approach to making the tool and making its use a personal decision is the right one, Urs. It could be very useful for anyone needing to resuscitate old sounds for hardware they no longer have. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”