synths that can read other synth patches...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote:I doubt any worms would object to Zebra importing
ancient but golden DX7 sysex files.
Unfortunately, DX-7 patches wouldn't work in Zeebs. I was merely thinking along the lines of synths that usually make Top 10 in annual VSTi competitions - those that start with Mas…, Sy…, Pre…, Al…, or anything V - generally synths for which a lot of presets exist :clown:

Urs wrote:
glokraw wrote:I doubt any worms would object to Zebra importing
ancient but golden DX7 sysex files.
Unfortunately, DX-7 patches wouldn't work in Zeebs. I was merely thinking along the lines of synths that usually make Top 10 in annual VSTi competitions - those that start with Mas…, Sy…, Pre…, Al…, or anything V - generally synths for which a lot of presets exist :clown:
sounds good, "the vurt patch ripper"
i wouldnt tell anyone you developed it, id take all the shit :)

V-Station imports K-Station presets.

In Reason you have.
PX7 - imports DX7 presets via preset converter.
ReDominator imports Juno Alpha presets via preset converter.

I didn't build it into the impOSCar itself, but i have a patch converter app which can convert OSCar patches to impOSCar format (which impOSCar 2 can also read). It is available on request.

If anyone has patch tapes for the OSCar I also have an app that reads those, but I've never made it available because it was very source dependent and so few people came up with patches in that format (Billie Currie of Ultravox was one incidentally) that it was easier to manually tweak it per source.

The pg8x (http://www.kvraudio.com/product/pg-8x-by-ml-vst/details) can read the JX8P patches in sysex format.

Cheers,
Martin

Arturia Prophet V could import Prophet 5 and Prophet VS sysex files. I had purchased some of those for use in Prophet V.

The Korg Wavestation plugin could import original Wavestation Sysex files too (but not export). Thism way it has access to tons of free patches (+ commercial ones) that are available for the Wavestation.

It'S hardware but the new Waldorf Pulse 2 could directly import Pulse 1 Sysex files (those are loaded into memory locations 001 - 040).
AFAIK there was a converter tool to load DX7 patches into a SY77.
The latest version of the Virus also seem to be compatible with all patches of previous versions.

NI Monark could not import files but it seems to be possible to reprogram patch sheets 1:1 without any changes/optimizations necessary. Same seems to be true for TAL BassLine-101.

Theoretically it could be possible to create a conversion tool to transfer patches from one synth to another (synths that are no emulations of each other) but practuically this should involve several problems. If this would be no problem there would be already several of those tools available.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Sytrus is another that can load .syx or .dx7

jeffb01 wrote:putting out some thoughts:

1. I know NI FM7 could read DX7 patches. It seems like a cool idea. What other synths that can read a different synth's patches?

2. I would think, while it wouldn't be easy, that some synths should try to import other patches. It obviously wouldn't be exact - but think of all the patches for the virus a,b,c and they're in .mid format or all the patches in massive format. I'm surprised someone doesn't make a synth or translator to load them into a 3rd party synth.

my thoughts of the day. what do you think?
This works well for synths with very similar designs like the FM7 and DX7.

In most situations, the presets from one synth imported into another would sound very different from the original and unless the features were relatively similar, it might not work at all.

It would likely be more like one of those preset "randomize" functions that never really makes good sounding presets.

But, it would be great if someone could pull it off.

well, what made me think about it is that I'm really bad at making pads and string sounds (or any sound for that matter). I was reading an old thread where there was an argument about the synth part of omnisphere and ghettosynth (that might of been his name) was saying omnisphere is only a romper and challenged someone to show him a lush pad with no samples.

Well, I opened up my virus and found what I thought was a lush pad and copied most of the settings on to the omnisphere va synth and was surprised how similar the patches sounded. Omnisphere is a great vs synth, but a real versatile synth like zebra could set up different templates that would be similar in architecture to specific synths...

Urs wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Urs wrote:
Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want.
Of course he can, thats what EULA is for.
Sorry but no, they can't. Various court decisions were made in this topic. A synth patch is a document, and while the file itself is copyrighted, the use of the file can't be - that is, the user can do with it whatever he wants. On top of that, file formats can not be copyrighted and thus reverse engineering is generally allowed. EULAs can't change that.
Does Rob Papen know that? He had a shit fit when someone suggested converting his Albino patches to the new Linplug synth. It was a big NO from him.

Personally i think its wrong to convert them for use in another synth.

Kriminal wrote:Does Rob Papen know that? He had a shit fit when someone suggested converting his Albino patches to the new Linplug synth. It was a big NO from him.
I would imagine Rob and Peter have a contract that governs pretty precisely what Linplug could do about that. It would have nothing to with any EULA (which will always be trumped by national laws in the first place). A third party would not be bound by that contract.
Kriminal wrote:Personally i think its wrong to convert them for use in another synth.
Why? There are a number of sample format converters out there that people don't seem to have a problem with.

jeffb01 wrote:I was reading an old thread where there was an argument about the synth part of omnisphere and ghettosynth (that might of been his name) was saying omnisphere is only a romper and challenged someone to show him a lush pad with no samples.
I think it was more likely to have been hardy-perennial troll sonkeysankey and his merry band of sockpuppets in that thread.

Kriminal wrote:Does Rob Papen know that? He had a shit fit when someone suggested converting his Albino patches to the new Linplug synth. It was a big NO from him.
Yes, that's where I started looking into this issue.

As Gamma-UT says, maybe Peter and Rob have a contract there. Which is all the more incentive for someone else to do an Albino import for their synths - knowing that Linplug won't.

However, yes, we've abandoned these ideas for now. We're thinking though that it might still be an option for abandoned products, once they don't run on current platforms anymore.

In actual fact we've come up with an even more elaborate idea that lets anybody create a preset converter into anything else. Which would take the blame off our shoulders :hihi: (still, way too busy to work on this)

Urs wrote: In actual fact we've come up with an even more elaborate idea that lets anybody create a preset converter into anything else. Which would take the blame off our shoulders :hihi: (still, way too busy to work on this)
drop everything and get to work on this!!! :hyper:

Kriminal wrote:
UncleAge wrote:
Urs wrote:Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.
I started a converter about a year ago and stopped for that same reason.

Whats the point, its unlikely they will sound the same.
Based on my initial results I would have to disagree.

Return to “Instruments”